Can a Terminator Handle? Z06 comparo.

hpfiend

Established Member
Hey all,

I have been dead set on the 02-04 Corvette Z06 until I found out that they are extremely noisy as they have NO sound deadening, and no partition between the rearend/driveline and the passenger compartment from the factory. The tire noise is supposed to be unbearable as well and the windnoise is as precious- Apparently both cars share the wheelhop driveline carnage, the vette has the added bonus of infrequent yet not unheard of spontaneous valve spring failure requiring the purcahse of a new L$6... but the vette is a track superstar.

I am intrigued with the build quality and less reported problems after reading the FAQ- but can the cobra handle? I noticed that it is way down in F-stock and the vettes are up in Super Stock as far as SCCA is concerned.

My dad's explorer handles better than my 11 second fox body and do not want to get back into that level of car (yes I know same platform but 14 years of technology has to make some difference) Will Maximum motorsports even out the difference with ride quality sacrifice or are the cars too heavy and too different of a platform to compete. I know bondurant uses termintors in some of his courses.

Should I be looking at a S351 Saleen instead?

I don't necessarily need corvette z06 handling, it would be neat to have base vette handling but I only plan to autox it and daily drive it. I also like the fact that the cobras are a bit cheaper then the
c5 z06s but I am not looking for a drag racer anymore- been there done that- I would like a nice ride, with nice handling, and if the mood strikes me mid to low 12 second quarter mile acceleration but I will very rarely take it to the strip, only reason I have that requirement is that is what I am used to in my daily. Sure its looks could use an update. I have not had a chance to drive a terminator but I will surely will before pulling the trigger on the vette.

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes you can make these cars handle really well! Check out the R forums and talk to Bruce (ac427cobra) because he has a 2000 Cobra R and regularly chases down new Z06's and Ford GT's. You could easily make your car do the same.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Looking for a daily driver, autocross car, and mid 12's in the quarter? Click on the link in my signature and buy my car. It's not a cobra, but its got the IRS, cobra brakes, and a supercharger.

To answer your question in a nutshell, yes. The cobra can handle very well with minimal mods like springs and dampners, some bushings and a few braces. Its already got the power, but getting another 100whp is very easy. For the price of a Z06, you can have a very capable 03 cobra.

Hey all,

I have been dead set on the 02-04 Corvette Z06 until I found out that they are extremely noisy as they have NO sound deadening, and no partition between the rearend/driveline and the passenger compartment from the factory. The tire noise is supposed to be unbearable as well and the windnoise is as precious- Apparently both cars share the wheelhop driveline carnage, the vette has the added bonus of infrequent yet not unheard of spontaneous valve spring failure requiring the purcahse of a new L$6... but the vette is a track superstar.

I am intrigued with the build quality and less reported problems after reading the FAQ- but can the cobra handle? I noticed that it is way down in F-stock and the vettes are up in Super Stock as far as SCCA is concerned.

My dad's explorer handles better than my 11 second fox body and do not want to get back into that level of car (yes I know same platform but 14 years of technology has to make some difference) Will Maximum motorsports even out the difference with ride quality sacrifice or are the cars too heavy and too different of a platform to compete. I know bondurant uses termintors in some of his courses.

Should I be looking at a S351 Saleen instead?

I don't necessarily need corvette z06 handling, it would be neat to have base vette handling but I only plan to autox it and daily drive it. I also like the fact that the cobras are a bit cheaper then the
c5 z06s but I am not looking for a drag racer anymore- been there done that- I would like a nice ride, with nice handling, and if the mood strikes me mid to low 12 second quarter mile acceleration but I will very rarely take it to the strip, only reason I have that requirement is that is what I am used to in my daily. Sure its looks could use an update. I have not had a chance to drive a terminator but I will surely will before pulling the trigger on the vette.

Thanks!
Andrew

I'm ridden in my buddies 04 Z06. They are a hell of lot quieter than a Terminator. What you've heard sounds like a lot of rubbish too me.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I'm ridden in my buddies 04 Z06. They are a hell of lot quieter than a Terminator. What you've heard sounds like a lot of rubbish too me.

+1...I drove an 03 Zo6 and had it well over 100mph and it wasn't nearly as noisy as my cobra at 80mph

03blwn281

Got 500rwhp?
Established Member
My friend has a 01 Zo6...No comparison to an 03 COBRA...Lets not BS guys...Handling,Braking,and the power is far more superior......

hpfiend

Established Member
Hey thanks all for the replies...

I have driven two z06's one 02 and one 03. Both with under 15K miles. Sure they are quieter and have a better ride than my fox body but my dad's 08 corvette with the sound deadening still in place is whisper quiet. Also the base C5 is supposedly MUCH quieter than the C5Z. I am not talking about exhaust noise- that is cool- I am talking about noise, vibration, harshness, as the car, from the factory, has been stripped of all sound deadening, the glass is thinner, and ever effort posssible has been performed to cut weight.

I have not driven an 03-04 cobra yet but am starting to consider that option as well as it has a back seat and is much heavier.

Sorry sunburned, while your car is awesome, I am looking for an unmodified car with under 15K. I have a paxton/vortech centrifugal on my notch now and its sweet so I know your car must be fun. Good luck!

Thanks! I am glad to hear though that they can be made to handle- I considered a full maximum motorsports setup on my fox but everyone is telling me it will be nowhere close to a newer car with ride quality and handling combined.

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
Cobra is best bang for your buck

The cobra is the best for the money.Thec6 zo6 is far superior to the c5.I have driven the vettes and IMO the cobras ride better.You do get a lot more road and exhaust noise in the vette.Wheel hop is worse in the cobra.Here is how I would put it.If I was offered either car straight up,pic the vette.If I was offered the cobra + cash difference between the two,Cobra.They are two totally different cars but both kick a$$ in their own way.Good luck

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I wish some of the road race guys would chime in here, but I'll give my take on it a lil...

I have done a few autoX events with my cobra and I have the mods you see in my sig except the tires I'm running on are 275/40-17 Faulken Azenis RT-615's. For what the car does, it does pretty well I think. Its still front heavy compared to the vette, but overall... not too bad.

I have a friend that drives a C5 Z06 but he is a better driver than me first off, but he can beat me usually about 2 seconds give or take a few tenths on a 40 second course on average. Put him in my car and compare the times in the vette and they would be fairly close.

The edge still goes to the vette in handling IMO, but the cobra isn't too far behind with a few suspension mods.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have been open tracking for about 7 years. For the past year i have been to the track
at least twice and sometimes 3 times a month on average. We know that the vette is superior to the mustang but the 03/04 does have the power advantage. I have noticed that the average mustang driver is faster then the average vette driver. The vette drivers tend to be older men. My car has all the suspnsion mods and usually the only vettes that pass me are the guys with similar mods but they are running 315 fronts/345rear v710's.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
A Z06 is a lighter car that's better balanced than the Cobra. It will also handle better. How boring to take a car like that and pass a bunch of Mustangs! :bored: I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Now take a heavy assed, poor handling, front end heavy Mustang and pass a crap load of Z06's with it, now you have some quality family entertainment. :pepper::pepper::pepper:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
For some unknown reason I had a feeling you were going to say that.

Saw your cockpit video at Road Atlanta in the R. Looked more like a flight path of a vette seeking AIM-9 Sidewinder :-D

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
For some unknown reason I had a feeling you were going to say that.

Saw your cockpit video at Road Atlanta in the R. Looked more like a flight path of a vette seeking AIM-9 Sidewinder :-D

Ha ha you must be thinking of Road America, because I have not been to Road Atlanta yet. I DO hope to get to Road Atlanta next March though!? :rockon::bowdown:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I wish some of the road race guys would chime in here, but I'll give my take on it a lil...

I have done a few autoX events with my cobra and I have the mods you see in my sig except the tires I'm running on are 275/40-17 Faulken Azenis RT-615's. For what the car does, it does pretty well I think. Its still front heavy compared to the vette, but overall... not too bad.

I have a friend that drives a C5 Z06 but he is a better driver than me first off, but he can beat me usually about 2 seconds give or take a few tenths on a 40 second course on average. Put him in my car and compare the times in the vette and they would be fairly close.

The edge still goes to the vette in handling IMO, but the cobra isn't too far behind with a few suspension mods.

He might PM JimmySidecar, I'm pretty sure he's set up pretty much the way hpfiend is looking to go and knows his stuff.

nightstalker865

Established Member
I have already talked with HPFIEND about this subject. This was my responce to him.

If you are looking at Autox I would says hands down go with the Z. My cobra was pretty well set up from SM. (intake,pulley,ported eaton,tune,injectors,BAP,H&R race springs,Bushing kit,Brembo [cobra R kit],SS brake lines[all 4],rack bushings,17x9's with V710's,MM FLSFC's, MM CC plates, All cooling mods Etc) Anyways I had the car setup pretty well for autox,HPED, and DD. I loved the car in every way. Till I drove a Z06 on track. The car just feels amazing. I can run faster lap times in the stock Z06 then I did in my preped cobra. As for a daily driver I would say it's a toss up. The fun factor in the cobra was awsome. It was a blast to play with on the street. The only down side to the Cobra on the street was the gas mileage. I would get 15-16 in the city and 22 on the hwy at best. The Vette I get 21-23 in the city and 29-31 on the hwy. Fit and finish on the vette is 2-3 times better than the mustang. Road noise I would say is a toss up. The Z06 is not a quite car cruising down the hwy. This is due to the very little sound deadening material used to make the car as light as possible. As well as the thinner glass used on the windshield and rear window. If you are looking at either one of these cars I would tell you the best thing to do is drive them both. See if you can find one at a local dealership and test drive it. I have a feeling once you drive the vette you will be thinking "what cobra" especially if you get to put it into a couple of turns. For an all around (DD,autox,and dragstrip) toy it's hard to beat a C5 Z06. They are amazing cars for sure.

Jroc

Established Member
Corvettes are better handling cars than Mustangs. Still Mustangs with the suspension and chassis mods are not dogs in the corners like alot of people say they are.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mine handles pretty good. I'm still on stock springs and shocks too!

Negative front camber is the the key to getting a strut front suspension to turn in with less push. Lots of positive caster helps the camber gain on turns also.

I have never driven a Z06.. or any Vette for that matter.
I will say for autocross, because of severe nature of the turns, these Mustang strut cars are probably at a pretty bad disadvantage.

In an open track setting or on the street the tightness of turns is lessened and there is a lot more room to use your power.

I used to autocross for a lot of years in low powered 4 cyl stuff(FWD & RWD)...:bored: I learned a lot but... it doesn't compare to open track.

I've only done one autocross with my 04.... It left me wanting more...:nonono:
The turns were very unrealistic and the straights pathetically short.
You can probably tell I am no longer a big autocross fan.
OPEN TRACK ROCKS!!

The Vette is probably in heaven at an autocross.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I can vouch for the autoX since I've done a few events this past year... yes, the short straightaways left me wanting more as I couldnt really put all my power to the ground, especially on street tires. But, there are a couple of local places that have a pretty nice bigger autoX setup but I haven't been able to try those yet... I will in a few months.

I rode in a C55 Z06 and it did feel more nimble that my Cobra. But it should... it weighs quite a bit less than mine. I imagine that if you could do a lil weight reduction in the right places, it could help these cars out some. If you could get the weight distribution to say 53-47, it would help alot.

I really look forward to the open track stuff... I think once I finally get my suspension dialed in the way I like it, it should be at least a contender to be a pretty good car out there with just a novice/average driver like myself. Maybe once I get a lil experience, I'll be able to push the car the way it can be at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread