Changed thermostat, still having a problem

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Ok I changed my thermostat because it was stuck closed (wierd I know). Put the new coolant in and filled it up as much as we could. Ran it til it reached operating temp then we vented as much air as possible through the overflow tank. Took a Craftsman 1/4" breaker bar to the fill cap on the crossover and it snapped the breaker bar off in it. So now I can't get that little cap off. Is there any other way to vent the air to prevent the car from overheating again? The breaker bar was BRAND NEW

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
The problem is that part of the breaker bar is still in the cap and we cant get anything else in there to turn it.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
The problem is that part of the breaker bar is still in the cap and we cant get anything else in there to turn it.

heat then use the vise grips along the edge, it'll muff up the edge a little, i changed mine over to the one sold on here for temp gauge, can just put on and take off w;adjustable pliers

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Ok well we got the bypass cap off. Filled her all the way up with coolant. Drove it for a bit, pulled the cap again and refilled it. STILL OVERHEATING while driving. It can sit in the driveway all friggin day and idle or rev or anything and it will stay dead center. Driving to work this morning it started overheating. Put the car in neutral and let it coast and it wouldnt cool down. Coasted for just under a mile at idle and it still ran way hot. Parked it and it idles like a dream, coolant temp perfect. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. I am to the point of taking it to Ford and telling them to fix it.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
I don't know how to burp it any more than I already have. Spent two hours trying to get it right last night and finally thought I did. Car made it 12 miles today before it started to overheat.

Finally got the L running decent again last night. I swear I can't have both vehicles running correctly for one friggin day.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
strange how you can sit at idle for an extended period and it will not overheat, yet when you drive it overheats. that's a new one on me

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't know how to burp it any more than I already have. Spent two hours trying to get it right last night and finally thought I did. Car made it 12 miles today before it started to overheat.

Finally got the L running decent again last night. I swear I can't have both vehicles running correctly for one friggin day.

It takes several drive cycles often to get all the air out out.
Drive it in your neighborhood till hot take it back home and park it ... let it cool.
After totally cool relieve pressure at rad cap and put back on.
remove burp plug and fill.
repeat...

:beer:

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Thanks I will keep trying that. We hooked the Diablo up to it and watched the coolant temp and it got better every time we did it. Maybe its just gonna take more.

MVD

Established Member
You can not burp the system through the expansion tank. You have to leave the cap on the expansion tank and pour fluid into the crossover tube.....but first you have to get that cap off that you are having problems with. If you leave the cap off the expansion tank and pour fluid in the crossover tube it will just fill up the tank and spill over since you are pouring into a higher point that the tank.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks I will keep trying that. We hooked the Diablo up to it and watched the coolant temp and it got better every time we did it. Maybe its just gonna take more.
Yes it will take at least 3 fills at the crossover tube when cold to get most of the air out. When you think you are almost done, the next time let the car cool down for only like 2 hours. Then there will still be a little pressure in the system, SLOWLY loosen the crossover cap (do not remove) until you hear the gas escaping then coolant will ooze out, re-tighten.

Slow06GT

Established Member
Had this same problem a couple days ago. I just couldn't get all the air out to save my life after trying numerous times. Said screw it and took it to the local dealer. Oh and I had no trouble taking the plug off with a 1/4 extension, came off right away.

chitowncobra

Established Member
to get little cap off, heat with propane torch for 2.23 seconds or so and it will come right off, i do it every time
that happened to me too!! then my tuner welded a nut to the cap, painted it black now its looks like it came from factory. now its easy to take off!!!!:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just heated mine up with a torch and twisted it off with my bare hand. That's just the way I roll.

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread