Twin screw on a stock clutch.....

Do you have a twin screw and stock clutch still?

• Yes

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • you crazy....

Votes: 37 35.2%

• Total voters

rexisme

Established Member
This is just a poll to see how many people are riding around w/ a twin screw and still have the stock clutch.... in your post please include for how long and how much power you make......

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
A clutch should be considered a supporting mod for a Twin Screw, IMHO. I never understood why some skimp out on this.

If you're stepping up to a Twin Screw, definintely upgrade your clutch to support the power. It'll be hard to fully enjoy the Twin Screw without one.

doubleblack

Established Member
I have a 2.3L whipple on the stock clutch w/ 17psi of boost and 91 oct, but never dyno'd...my car has 68K now...but, i don't ever intend to race it or launch it...only rolling punches for me and everything I've thrown at it has held...surprisingly there was a similar thread to this and a bunch of people are rolling around w/ a twin screw and stock clutches believe it or not....all depends how you want to drive it...if you just want to fart around town w/ extra power, go for it!

I've also never had drag radials on, which might be another factor if your clutch can hold...

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I have a 2.3L whipple on the stock clutch w/ 17psi of boost and 91 oct, but never dyno'd...my car has 68K now...but, i don't ever intend to race it or launch it...only rolling punches for me and everything I've thrown at it has held...surprisingly there was a similar thread to this and a bunch of people are rolling around w/ a twin screw and stock clutches believe it or not....all depends how you want to drive it...if you just want to fart around town w/ extra power, go for it!

I've also never had drag radials on, which might be another factor if your clutch can hold...

How is your grip in 2nd gear? What tires are you running?

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Haha, I had a twin screw and a stock clutch. Note: HAD.

It would work for a pass, maybe. Couldn't launch the car on the M/T's. Slipped at the top of 3rd and 4th badly.

Took it out.

doubleblack

Established Member
How is your grip in 2nd gear? What tires are you running?

what grip in second gear...LOL...If i stab it, it doesn't hold for shit...

The tires I run in the back are daily driver tires firestone wide ovals...most cobra guys don't consider these because they don't come fat enough...I found that a bunch of ZO6 guys use these tires because they are great daily driver tires...I put on at least 40+ miles a day...they perform somewhere in the BFG KDW range...

03cobramanIII

Banned
now ...yes still stock ,but got spec 3 plus and 26 sp shaft sitting here buy me when i get time to swap out.

#s in my sig,, how long! > numberous dyno pulls , while at amazon plus 650 miles drive home and about 20 hard runs on the street , yes i did smell clutch one time, after it cooled it seems like its not slipping .

you will be ok for awhile. i got 30k on my car btw.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

No offence.. But to everybody else that actually uses their twin screw you need a clutch. On street tires and a stock clutch whats the point of a twin screw:shrug:. I can't even keep my car planted in the top of 3rd on street tires.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
now ...yes still stock ,but got spec 3 plus and 26 sp shaft sitting here buy me when i get time to swap out.

#s in my sig,, how long! > numberous dyno pulls , while at amazon plus 650 miles drive home and about 20 hard runs on the street , yes i did smell clutch one time, after it cooled it seems like its not slipping .

you will be ok for awhile. i got 30k on my car btw.

Lucky, mine went when I put on my ported blower.

Last edited:

03cobramanIII

Banned
No offence.. But to everybody else that actually uses their twin screw you need a clutch. On street tires and a stock clutch whats the point of a twin screw:shrug:. I can't even keep my car planted in the top of 3rd on street tires.
agree i got nittos they suck any rpms in 2nd. 3.73 to much also , im thinking about going 3.27 to lessen the effect ...maybe .:shrug:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
meant my stock clutch and car has 30k on it , not 30k with the stock clutch and the k/b.

i was lucky to not have it go south 650 miles away from home.

My car had 20000 miles when i put the ported blower on, by 24000 It was done. If you put slicks on and run the car at the track the stock clutch has no chance.

03cobramanIII

Banned
My car had 20000 miles when i put the ported blower on, by 24000 It was done. If you put slicks on and run the car at the track the stock clutch has no chance.
im sure it would , its going to be a rainout tonight again! i wanted to run it b4 the swap. cause it will take me a year to get 500 street miles on it .

i marked my nittos ,i just 4 hard passes around town my tires slipped on the rim almost 4 inches.at 22 psi. so its a pulling beast.the spec 3 plus looks like to good disc. not made ou tof the pressed power material stuff. but like a met,brk. pad.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The stock clutch is actually rather strong, mine took a hell of a beating before it went. Depends on what your driving style is, you plan on a good bit of hard launches on sticky tires and it might not live a long life. Mainly just cruising and rolling into the throttle, it will probably be ok for quite awhile....

CWD

Established Member
I could smell the clutch after a WOT run and not shifting hard. After adding the Whipple, with low miles on the stock clutch, no way it was going to hold. I went with the DFX 26 and all the works. Holds now!!

vickerw

Established Member
I just installed a KB 2.2 & taking it next week to get it tuned. I still have the stock clutch but have a Spec 3+ with 26 spline ready to be installed. I am hoping the stocker will get me through the dyno + tune. Just didnt have time & dont drive my car enough to do the 500mi. thing right now. But my stock clutch is working just fine now with no slipping & i took off a Stage IV with a 2.93 upper & 2lb lower. My car has 11,000mi. on it.

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
stock clutch and 17 psi Whipple here. Its good for 1 pass on the nittos and then it gets slippy. DFX and 26spline upgrade waiting to go it soon. I just havent wanted to pull the car apart as its so much fun to drive it with the whipple.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
depends on how you drive and what you use the car for.

If you expect the stocker to hold out at the track, no. If you DD it and only go WOT on the freeway and generally take it easy on slipping the clutch, you can probably get away with it. however the stock clutch can only hold so much power.

Users who are viewing this thread