Twin screw on a stock clutch.....

Do you have a twin screw and stock clutch still?

• Yes

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • you crazy....

Votes: 37 35.2%

• Total voters

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Drag launches and slipping the clutch to keep traction are 2 of the biggest killers of clutches going, even aftermarket clutches!
It all depends on heat and load. I run sticky Kumho 710s on track(open track) but I don't do launches. The slowest the car gets on track is about 40, and I leave it in third and go WOT mid turn so the tires stay hooked and the clutch has held fine so far.

So far, so good. When it goes I'll upgrade, but not until then.

BTW These threads have some good stuff also.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471636&highlight=twin+screw+stock+clutch

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462634&highlight=twin+screw+stock+clutch

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459531&highlight=twin+screw+stock+clutch

Venimus

Established Member
My stock clutch was giving up the ghost with a Steggy ported blower. I replaced it before the twinscrew. Good thing I did because it is a torque monster and would have certainly baked it at the strip. Remember that an overheated clutch can actually explode and cause damage to the car or your legs, so don't fool around with it if you feel it slipping. Something to think about.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
600hp lasted me about 6 months on the stock clutch. I never beat on the car, however, I did race a few times on the street so take that into consideration.
Since my stock clutch I have had a Ram 900 series clutch and now I am running a twin disc. The
Ram single disc did not hold up to well to the 650hp/613tq. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I am still sporting the stock clutch and flywheel with my 2.6. It slips but still is fine until I can replace it with a Spec 3+

MikeW

Established Member
My vert has 17lbs and the stock clutch... still feels fine to me. It ran well at the track last time and I wont change it until it is needed. Oh it has 50 passes on it too.

My Coupe 21lbs has a spec 3+ with a sixspeedsinc stage4 T-56 and it grabs Better and Shifts like a dream.

I dont agree that when you upgrade to a twinscrew that you should replace the clutch at the same time or shortly after. Why replace something that still works?

musclefan21

Established Member
depends on the shape of stock clutch. if it is in good condition, then hell yeah. stock clutch holts pretty good. i know a guy who runs 10s on a stock clutch and a twinscrew.

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
Spec 3++

Had the stock clutch for about 200 something miles when I had a 2.2, but I blew that clutch out quick.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
2.6h, 17 lbs, stock clutch.,., for about a year now, from 28k miles to current 37k, no track visits, no launches, just street car :)

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
2.6h, 17 lbs, stock clutch.,., for about a year now, from 28k miles to current 37k, no track visits, no launches, just street car :)
Kevlar clutches build left leg muscles! :burnout:
I replaced the stock clutch which was still in good shape after the twin screw installation just in case.
:beer:
Jeff

Last edited:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I am done with heavy clutches :shrug: I am considering dual disc when the time comes., cause as I get older, the bad assness, means less and less.,., although, I would trade for a newer Z06 in a heart beat :)

midtex01gt

Established Member
If you think that is nuts, I have a buddy with an 04 mystic that has a TWIN TURBO setup with stock clutch and 10 spline input shaft....he wanted to sell to me for 32k.....I politely declined....

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
If you think that is nuts, I have a buddy with an 04 mystic that has a TWIN TURBO setup with stock clutch and 10 spline input shaft....he wanted to sell to me for 32k.....I politely declined....

I will do the upgraded input shaft at that time too :thumbsup:

liedenfrost

Established Member
My buddy put down just under 650 rwtq on the dyno (24-26 psi) Whipple setup before the stock clutch slipped. He replaced the stock clutch with a Spec 3+, but its a testament to what the stock clutch can do. He said the stock clutch looked really good when it was replaced with the Spec.

sonicblu03

Established Member
Still have the stocker here. Have about 2K miles with the Whipple on, just a few highway blasts and a few romps around town. Still holds fine. Will upgrade when it starts slipping. Need tires at the moment....seems everything is on backorder :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread