quieter catback? possible trade??

king nothing

Established Member
Im looking for a catback that is quieter than the borlas I have now. The borlas came with the car and I believe they are the stingers. the mufflers are not much bigger than the pipes. I also have a mac prochamber OR midpipe. What would Yall suggest to quiet it down some. Would I lose alot of power going bact to the stock catback with the OR mid? Anyone interested in a trade for my borlas?

king nothing

Established Member
I havent looked at it closely. can cats be added to the prochamber without replacing it with a new pipe? What about putting the stock H pipe back on and keeping the stingers? How would that affect sound/power

Last edited:

CobraRyan

Banned
cats will make it ALOT quiter. when i put cats in my x-pipe with the stingers all of the noise inside the car went away, and it gave it a quieter and better sounding exhaust note from outside.

g_dogg

Established Member
thats BS. aftermarket cats do no quiet down your car. those are not real cats.
they are cheap pieces of shit. Factory cats on the other side will
quiet down your car but are restrictive. If you want aftermarket cats or high flow
cats you are better off with no cats.IT'S THE SAME SHIT.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
quiet down your car but are restrictive. If you want aftermarket cats or high flow

Thats not true. cats can help out alot and change the sound of the exhaust quite a bit. there have been many guys that have switched to catted pipes or added cats to the resonator style mufflers such as the lm1's and stingers.
The o.p. an search and find the souldnclips in the exhaust sectiona nd tlak to the guys running the catted pipes to get their feedback

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

WRONG!:nonono:

Way to enhance your on line credibility there buddy!:dw:

Not only are aftermarket cats REAL, They most certainly do quiet the exhaust down A LOT!

Not as much as factory cats will, but it is still a BIG difference.

All cats are some what restrictive, high flows are just less so.

The power gains from an off road set up are comparatively small, at least when looking at typical Terminator mods.

Stick some cats back on, either stock or aftermarket.

OR

You could buy an FR500 cat back with the valved mufflers. That will quite down even a cat less car quite a bit, yet is still 2 1/2" mandrel bent tubing not 2 1/4" regular bends like the factory cat back.

It will still make good power either way.:beer:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member

:nonono::shrug: You could have at least waited a little longer to make yourself look stupid.... I mean honestly, you only have 5 posts....

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I'm pulling off my magniflow catback in about two weeks if you're interested (I'm going with another set of magniflows, but for side exhaust). I went with it because it's a quieter exhaust, but still very aggressive and it does open up very well at WOT. Magniflow's or Dynomax are going to be your best bet for a quieter exhaust. PM me if you're interested. Magniflows, 3" tailpipes and 4" bullitt tips (look exactly like magniflow)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1. Be sure the midpipe you use has cats. Because ANY midpipe with cats (stock or aftermarket) will make the system overall more quiet. Remove ANY cats and you'll have a louder setup.
2. You have a couple of choices as far as a quieter catback depending on how quiet you want. If you want quiet with a middle ground loudness I'd recommend you look at either the Steeda catback (made by Borla) or the regular Borla catback. The Steeda is a bit more quiet than, for example, the Magnaflow or Bassani. If you want something only a tad louder than the stock catback, consider the Ford Racing FR-500.

There are other possibilities but they really depend on how loud or how quiet you want. If possible, find someone in your area with a quieter setup and actually listen to it with your own ears. Just a suggestion.

prostkr

Established Member
I have the borla stingers and a magnaflo high flow single catted x pipe, it sounds perfect to me. It was to loud with an off road x pipe.

BOOMER23

Established Member
^ make that trade with boostfiend....Ive got the steeda catback which is essentially the Borla 14858...its just like your current setup except it has traditional style mufflers and sounds the way a mustang should IMO. also I really would consider a catted mid pipe...I think a catted H pipe is really what makes the tone for the deep rumble which tends to be quieter than the rasp you are used to...

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
When I had my Borla Stinger catback with the factory H-pipe, I loved the sound and tone of the exhaust. :thumbsup:

However, once I traded out the stock H-pipe for a Bassanni catback (with the removable cats), the Stingers were way too loud and resonated too much for my taste. :cuss:

I then installed the quieter Borla oval catback and once again, "Life is good!" :beer:

g_dogg

Established Member
OKAY
let me tell you guys something.
my exhaust setup with off road mid pipe. loud.
my exhaust setup with catted midpipe. exact same thing.
Mayyyybe 0.5 to 1% quieter.
Have you ever cut a cat in half? look how many honeycomb things inside.
Now cut a so called high flow cat in half. Look inside, almost none.
that thing will NOT restrict exhaust flow WHAT SO EVER. just physics.
Just do your research. All of you are dishing out stereotype info.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have the Borla 14858 and had an MRT catted h-pipe and switched it for a Magnaflow catted x-pipe. It quieted it down quite a bit switching from the h to the x.

I traded it to McCobra because he had a Magnaflow CB and wanted something a little louder. Now he has the H and it sounds perfect with his setup.

liedenfrost

Established Member
Try the FR500 exhaust. Here is a video of my car on the rollers:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TE9I21uTcw"]YouTube - Eric's 2004 SVT Cobra with Ported Eaton 495 hp[/ame]
The FR500 is just a bit louder than stock exhaust. I think it may be a bit too quiet, but I love it when folks underestimate the car since its so quiet. All I hear is blower at WOT.

Users who are viewing this thread