Need new steering rack bushings! Need help!

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
:thumbsup: Absolutely, plus these are probably the only way to get rid of the creak for good.

I have them. When I put them on it was just because I had the time, no creek. a few weeks later I am creaking and popping everywhere. I am about to take them out:cuss: I talked to someone else who said the same thing. "at first they were fine. After a few weeks they were popping more than popcorn in a microwave"

Maybe I cut the sleeves to much:shrug:.. Any advice:(

pianoman90

Established Member
It could be from cutting the sleeve too far. I would think being off on your measurments, even a slight bit, could cause the noise. Did you try retorquing them? Mine got rid of the front end creak that it made fwiw. You also may try regreasing some bushings while you're at it (ie sway bar).

The only thing I wish MM could've included were new sleeves, instead of hacking the stock ones. It took me a while to get them cut, but that was the hardest part of the install.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
It could be from cutting the sleeve too far. I would think being off on your measurments, even a slight bit, could cause the noise. Did you try retorquing them? Mine got rid of the front end creak that it made fwiw. You also may try regreasing some bushings while you're at it (ie sway bar).

The only thing I wish MM could've included were new sleeves, instead of hacking the stock ones. It took me a while to get them cut, but that was the hardest part of the install.

I cut them perfectly.. They fit back in perfectly:shrug:.. I will try greasing up some other bushings to see if it helps though.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Any advice:(
Tighten the sh!t out of them. I think the torque spec is too low for those bolts with solid bushings. If that doesn't work take them off and take a look at the sleeves end and the K member mating surface. The sleeve and the surface should be perfectly flat like one piece and the washers should not rock side to side when you put them against it. I took some time with a grinder to make sure it was right when I did mine.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Tighten the sh!t out of them. I think the torque spec is too low for those bolts with solid bushings. If that doesn't work take them off and take a look at the sleeves end and the K member mating surface. The sleeve and the surface should be perfectly flat like one piece and the washers should not rock side to side when you put them against it. I took some time with a grinder to make sure it was right when I did mine.

What should I try and torque them too? If it doesn't work I will pull them and try and smooth the surface out:beer:

hotcobra03

Established Member
funny listening to every one ...the bushings arent the problem ... this problem is very simple..its kinda like the wrong bolts in our rear sub frame....if you remove the washer you will find the tube is rocking and is eating into the washer...you can tighten that bolt untill u turn blue in the face...that bolt needs to be changed into a stud or somethink like that

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
I got the same problem mine don't creak but when im driving or hit a bump i feel it in the steering wheel and on my clutch, when i turn i hear it really loud like a popcorn machine and i feel it on my clutch as well, i don't know what it is but im leaning towards it being the rack bushings since they're stock....any help?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
If the creek is driving you nuts there is a temporary fix. When I was changing my oil about 6 months ago, I sprayed some amsoil metal protector on my rack bushings (the part that is exposed from the bottom) just to see if it would shut it up for a couple days ,but it hasn’t creaked or squeked since and it has been half a year. I am sure it will come back but kinda curious how long it will stay quite.

Users who are viewing this thread