Should I sell the '98 and buy a Terminator?

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
I really like our '98 convertible, but I really really really love the sound of an 03/04 with a supercharger. I've done a few mods - 4.10 gears, shifter, springs, struts, camber/caster plates, light bar. Totally stock engine and exhaust, only got 28,000 miles. Its a fun car, but the Terminators are so tempting.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?? Doubt I'd regret it but anyone know any drawbacks? I'm at the point where I want to start upping the power on the 98, but it is a long way from what the Terminators have stock.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Be careful what you buy, and I seriously doubt you will ever have any regrets.

As nice as 98s are and look, once you drive an 03/04 you'll never look back.
They really get it done!:dancenana: I LOVE MINE!

crazycarlo

Established Member
Its not that far. Throw any supercharger on there and your going to have the power of a stock 03. The only drawback is you dont have a built motor. I dont know your financial situation but its deff cheaper to have a 98.

It comes down to what you really want in the end. Try to find someone in the are with one that will take you for a ride. Its your money just do what you want. ;)

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I agree that it depends on your personal financial situation. I almost always advise AGAINST going into debt for a car. Especially cars that fit into the "toy" classification. But since your 98 only has 28k miles, I assume you dont drive it that much which leads me to beleive you can afford some toys. If your bored with the 98 just do a coulple more mods to see if that scratches the itch. Most likely it wont though. If you go and test drive an 03/04 I can almost guarantee you that you will end up getting one. If you like the eaton sceam now, wait till your behind the wheel banging the gears : )

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I think with the way prices on 03/04's are dropping, the arguement of "it's cheaper to build your engine and put a supercharger on it" goes out the window. Machine work, internals, assembly, supercharger, fuel system, tuning... it all adds up real quick.

Ultimately, if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happier.

To be honest with you though, a few weeks ago I was dead set on getting rid of my car for something different. In the end I more enjoyed not having a car payment, and the fact that I took my car from stock and built it myself was a big factor. I did not want to get into someone else's project and find any suprises.

venomous99

Established Member
ignoring everything else and just comparing the two, i would take the terminator in a heartbeat. ive owned both and if i could do it again, i would go back to my 03 anyday. the next best thing is find a sn95 w/ a 03 drivetrain so you have the best of both worlds if you're like me who thinks the sn95 looks damn better than the new edge.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Your talking an easy 7+ grand to supercharge a car the RIGHT way with a proffesional install/tune and everything. Add that 7k to the price of a clean SN95 and your getting pretty close to the price of a Terminator.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
As for looks I think the SN95 is the winner hands down while 03 power plant is tempting i'd keep what you have.

venomous99

Established Member
there are 2 sn95 terminator powered stangs in the cobra for sale forum. one has a nice teksid block, about 500rwhp and a bunch of other things for 14500. another one with the full conversion including electronics is priced at 18k. if you can find one for the low teens or even 14k complete, thats still a pretty good deal considering a built sn95 w/ blower will run you probably 12k.

a word of advice, if you're set on having an sn95, dont test drive a 03/04. ull get hooked real fast

Last edited:

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
if you can pay for one in CASH then do it, but if not then don't think about it. I own my cobra outright so picking up a car payment is something I definately don't want to do, I'll build it better, stronger & faster.

<---listens to dave ramsey

crazycarlo

Established Member
Your talking an easy 7+ grand to supercharge a car the RIGHT way with a proffesional install/tune and everything. Add that 7k to the price of a clean SN95 and your getting pretty close to the price of a Terminator.

If your including the price of a built shortblock in there then yeah it might. I got my supercharger setup for $3000 granted it was slighty used. But for 7+ grand you could have a Twin turbo kit which will make power at a lower boost.

Regardless of price just do a lil research first. yes you can get a terminator relatively cheap comapred to what they used to be however alot of financial institutions dont let you buy from individual sellers.

And if your thinking you can just bolt stuff on and go then thats not really the case either. At some point you have to upgrade the fuel and rear end on a termi.

In all honesty is I could afford one there would be a black one sitting in my driveway but I knew I didnt want the payment. I got my 98 already modded from a dealership here in GA for $9,000 threw 3 at it and now it will run with stock 03's may even be slightly faster, I dunno though.

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
What is your goal here are you wanting to go as fast as possible for least amount of cash

or hear the Whine?

qkslvr221

Established Member
I wouldnt, I'd rather have a lighter platform with a lighter motor built up to handle whatever I throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread