I'm about to explode...these damn rear brakes!!!

matted2thefloor

Established Member
For those of you who don't yet know, I'm supposed to be trading a fellow member for his IRS for my SRA. Well...heres my newest scenario. When I bought the car it had the SRA already in it but he had a 13" rear rotor on there. In order to mount them he had to install a Baer caliper bracket to raise it up due to the size increase. In doing so, it raised it up too far so about 3/16" to 1/4" sits above the rotor...no contact. Now FRPP offers the M-2300-M kit to retain Cobra brakes on an SRA. So I look at the part # on the axle bracket and call Steve @ Tousley...he says the part # F4ZC-2C10X-BA is an axle bracket for a Cobra. Ok...so I go buy Cobra 11.65" rotors and go to put them on today and still the caliper won't reach the axle bracket before it contacts the rotor. So what the hell is going on here? What really sucks is that I don't know what parts he used and from what cars. Obviously he didn't use the FRPP kit! I'm at my witts end with these rear brakes and I surely don't want to trade it this way. :shrug::??::fm:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
All you need to do is take the 13" rotor out along with the BAER caliper bracket.

What is left on the axle is all you need...and nothing else...except for your new 11.65" rotors.

This is what came on the BAER kit:
2262011_03.jpg

matted2thefloor

Established Member
All you need to do is take the 13" rotor out along with the BAER caliper bracket.

What is left on the axle is all you need...and nothing else...except for your new 11.65" rotors.

This is what came on the BAER kit:
2262011_03.jpg

I took all those items off, but the caliper bracket still won't reach the axle tube bracket?????? Unless the axle tube bracket isn't an early Cobra or an 03/04 Mach 1 bracket.

I realize a 13" rotor is over-kill, that's another reason I want them gone.

Established Member
This thread I made should have enough pics to show you how the caliper bracket is bolted up.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472242

If the aforementioned parts were bolted on and they did fit right, then there are 2 scenarios left:

1. You are trying to bolt it up wrong (or)
2. The axle is a GT axle and the axle brackets at the ends of the axles are not tall enough for an 11.65 Cobra rear rotor.

Was it from a GT or a Cobra?? You mentioned the part Steve verified is a Cobra one, so let us know more info.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
This thread I made should have enough pics to show you how the caliper bracket is bolted up.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472242

If the aforementioned parts were bolted on and they did fit right, then there are 2 scenarios left:

1. You are trying to bolt it up wrong (or)
2. The axle is a GT axle and the axle brackets at the ends of the axles are not tall enough for an 11.65 Cobra rear rotor.

Was it from a GT or a Cobra?? You mentioned the part Steve verified is a Cobra one, so let us know more info.

Right...the axle IS from a 99-04 GT but the axle tube bracket number is for a Cobra...maybe that's the problem...maybe it should be for a Mach which in theory should place the caliper and bracket in the correct position to mount the 11.65 rotor...but it doesn't. I'm going to look at things again today with another set of eyes...a co-worker, and we'll see what we come up with.

I've done a lot of brake jobs in my time so I'm pretty sure there is only ONE way to mount the caliper bracket...but hey!

I think the actual problem is the caliper mount bracket...it's probably the GT bracket not a Mach bracket....???? I'm pretty sure the axle tube bracket is NOT the problem and the calipers from a GT to Cobra/Mach are all the same...except the anniv. edition ones.

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
is the e brake cable keeping you from hooking everything up?
maybe try disconecting that and reinstalling it after the caliper is in place

Established Member
is the e brake cable keeping you from hooking everything up?
maybe try disconecting that and reinstalling it after the caliper is in place

Nope, no need to touch the hand brake cable. It has nothing to do with the axle or caliper brackets whatsoever.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
just go to buyfordracing.com and order the whole brake kit. its under 200

That wouldn't be cost effective as I already have the Cobra rotors and axle brackets. Those right there eat up most of that cost.

There's a Mustang Bone Yard not too far from me...I'm gonna see if he has some Cobra caliper brackets and try that. I don't really know what else to do.

The Cobra caliper bracket HAS to be different from the GT one due to the size difference in the rotors. :cuss:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Nope, no need to touch the hand brake cable. It has nothing to do with the axle or caliper brackets whatsoever.

o i miss read his post. i thought he couldnt get the caliper over the rotor

but he actually has the caliper on but its hitting the center of rotor

sounds like you just need the right spacers for the SRA and you should be good.
can you return those brackets to steve?

the 10.5 gt brakes look silly on a cobra
i hated it and went with the 13" rears
100_1100.jpg

Last edited:

matted2thefloor

Established Member
o i miss read his post. I thought he couldnt get the caliper over the rotor

but he actually has the caliper on but its hitting the center of rotor

sounds like you just need the right spacers for the sra and you should be good.
Can you return those brackets to steve?

The 10.5 gt brakes look silly on a cobra
i hated it and went with the 13" rears
100_1100.jpg

yep...the caliper bottoms out on the rotor before it reaches the mounting holes in the axle bracket. So either the axle bracket is not what it needs to be or the caliper bracket is wrong...but aren't the cobra/mach calipers/brackets the same as the gt? UGHHHHHH!!!

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Sorry to resurect this thread...but I thought this might help someone else out.

I finally got it right. I had to go buy caliper brackets for a Mach...$40/ea. I also had to use a spacer between the bracket and the flange to get the proper clearance for the rotor.

I'm not looking to get rid of the SRA any longer!!!

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
yep...the caliper bottoms out on the rotor before it reaches the mounting holes in the axle bracket. So either the axle bracket is not what it needs to be or the caliper bracket is wrong...but aren't the cobra/mach calipers/brackets the same as the gt? UGHHHHHH!!!

A GT caliper is the same as a cobra/mach caliper. A GT "caliper bracket" is the same as a cobra/mach caliper. A GT "axle housing bracket" is NOT the same as a cobra/mach "axle housing bracket." A GT rotor is NOT the same as a cobra/mach rotor. Sounds to me like your problem is your housing brackets?

matted2thefloor

Established Member
A GT caliper is the same as a cobra/mach caliper. A GT "caliper bracket" is the same as a cobra/mach caliper. A GT "axle housing bracket" is NOT the same as a cobra/mach "axle housing bracket." A GT rotor is NOT the same as a cobra/mach rotor. Sounds to me like your problem is your housing brackets?

Wrongo...

I thought the very same thing. The housing brackets were not the issue.

When I took the caliper bracket off the car and compared it to what I bought...there was maybe a 1/2" maybe more height difference when both were laying side-by-side on the table.

Agreed...the "caliper" IS the same across the board. But how can a mounting bracket for a 10.5 rotor set up be interchangeable with an 11.65 rotor? The caliper bracket is what locates the rotor properly to the pads within the bracket.

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Wrongo...

I thought the very same thing. The housing brackets were not the issue.

When I took the caliper bracket off the car and compared it to what I bought...there was maybe a 1/2" maybe more height difference when both were laying side-by-side on the table.

Agreed...the "caliper" IS the same across the board. But how can a mounting bracket for a 10.5 rotor set up be interchangeable with an 11.65 rotor? The caliper bracket is what locates the rotor properly to the pads within the bracket.

The following link is to what I call the "axle housing bracket." http://www.northracecars.com/brackets.jpg

This part is different between a cobra/mach and a GT. The difference is the distance between the large round hole (for the axle tube) and the two mounting points for the caliper bracket. I could very easily go out right now and steal a rear caliper off a GT (with its caliper bracket attached) and bolt it directly onto a '98 cobra rearend.

I think the problem here was a miscommunication in terminology. I believe what you're referring to as the "axle housing bracket" is actually the anti-moan bracket. I believe this part is also the same between a GT and a cobra/mach.

Users who are viewing this thread