I'm about to explode...these damn rear brakes!!!

matted2thefloor

Established Member
You are correct!

However, I took the part# right off the brackets that were ALREADY on the car and found them to be early model Cobra "housing" brackets. So then why couldn't I put the caliper onto the car with the 11.65 rotors on it? The caliper bracket bottomed out on top of the rotor...and was nowhere close to the bolting locations.

Once I went and got the Mach caliper brackets...smooth sailin'!!!

Maybe somethin else was screwy with it then! Hell...I don't care now...it's right and the pads ride the rotor like they are supposed to...Oh and I fixed the ABS at the same time. Had to install the tone rings and add the sensors.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
The following link is to what I call the "axle housing bracket." http://www.northracecars.com/brackets.jpg

This part is different between a cobra/mach and a GT. The difference is the distance between the large round hole (for the axle tube) and the two mounting points for the caliper bracket. I could very easily go out right now and steal a rear caliper off a GT (with its caliper bracket attached) and bolt it directly onto a '98 cobra rearend.

I think the problem here was a miscommunication in terminology. I believe what you're referring to as the "axle housing bracket" is actually the anti-moan bracket. I believe this part is also the same between a GT and a cobra/mach.

Actually, you're wrong about this part.

The GT/V6 and Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 caliper brackets are different.

The GT/V6 ones are slimmer PLUS shorter and do not have enough space for the wider and taller Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 vented rotors since the GT/V6 rotors are a single plate rotor.

In order for the GT/V6 caliper bracket to fit, you have to grind it both on the inner top part and on the sides.

I have quite a bit of personal experience in this.

Here are some more differences:

21_cal_comparsn.JPG

I also addressed this issue on Mach1Registry:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=979303&postcount=12

Ken

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Actually, you're wrong about this part.

The GT/V6 and Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 caliper brackets are different.

The GT/V6 ones are slimmer PLUS shorter and do not have enough space for the wider and taller Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 vented rotors since the GT/V6 rotors are a single plate rotor.

In order for the GT/V6 caliper bracket to fit, you have to grind it both on the inner top part and on the sides.

I have quite a bit of personal experience in this.

Here are some more differences:

21_cal_comparsn.JPG

I also addressed this issue on Mach1Registry:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=979303&postcount=12

Ken

Weird. I've never seen a "not" bracket

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Wow!!! That is really wierd then, because the one I took off the car had the looping bar on the outside of it just like the one he posted a pic of. But when compared to the one that I bought there was a noticeable difference in the length of the attachment "legs" if you will.

Things that make you go...HMMMMMM!!!

musclestang721

Sorry to resurect this thread...but I thought this might help someone else out.

I finally got it right. I had to go buy caliper brackets for a Mach...$40/ea. I also had to use a spacer between the bracket and the flange to get the proper clearance for the rotor.

I'm not looking to get rid of the SRA any longer!!!

OK so I know this post is old.. but I am having a similar issue on my 2k.

I swapped the stock rear for a built one with gears and 31 spline upgrade. I had the cobra rear brake upgrade kit(ford) on the stock axle and the shop I took it to swapped the brackets from the stock housing to the new one along with the anti moan brackets and the dust sheilds.

I drove it home(I live pretty close to the shop) and on the way I noticed a grinding noise. It appears that the inside sides of the caliper(around the pad) are rubbing against the outer side of the rotor. There is vertical clearance but the rotor does not appear to be centered between the sides of the caliper. So either the caliper bracket/caliper are too far inward or the rotors are sitting too far outboard.

Basically it sounds like its a similar problem to what you had and that you used a spacer to adjust the position of the caliper bracket mounted to the cobra/mach flange. The question is what kind of spacer did you use and was the side to side position of the caliper what you were using it to adjust?

I'm still thinking there has to be another explanation of why this is not lining up. Im going to try to spend some time tonight looking at it further.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
OK so I know this post is old.. but I am having a similar issue on my 2k.

I swapped the stock rear for a built one with gears and 31 spline upgrade. I had the cobra rear brake upgrade kit(ford) on the stock axle and the shop I took it to swapped the brackets from the stock housing to the new one along with the anti moan brackets and the dust sheilds.

I drove it home(I live pretty close to the shop) and on the way I noticed a grinding noise. It appears that the inside sides of the caliper(around the pad) are rubbing against the outer side of the rotor. There is vertical clearance but the rotor does not appear to be centered between the sides of the caliper. So either the caliper bracket/caliper are too far inward or the rotors are sitting too far outboard.

Basically it sounds like its a similar problem to what you had and that you used a spacer to adjust the position of the caliper bracket mounted to the cobra/mach flange. The question is what kind of spacer did you use and was the side to side position of the caliper what you were using it to adjust?

I'm still thinking there has to be another explanation of why this is not lining up. Im going to try to spend some time tonight looking at it further.

Your differential pin is larger with the 31 spline Eaton diff, and as a result, your axles are moved out by a bit and are resulting in what you're experiencing.

Yes, you can use washers to fix your problem.

Here is someone with the same issue you're dealing with:

I now know what the problem is!

The reason the axle sticks out further is due to the 31 Spline Eaton differential. Or rather due to the size of the crosspin. One call to Superior axle, and shazam! They knew exacly what it was.

The standard car crosspin is 3/4" diameter, where as all of the 31 spline diff's, Fords post '87 trucks 31 spline and aftermarket, use a larger pin. Either 7/8" (ford and some aftermarket) or a 15/16" crosspin. This locates the axles out .0625"-.0938" further on each side. I believe the Eaton must be 15/16" as my axles sit out about .080" longer.

That takes a lot off my mind... hope it helps the next guy doing a 31 spline upgrade on a disk brake car. Surprised more people out there hadn't had this problem.

Anyway, I found that I could not shim the full amount at the caliper as this would not leave enough room for the parking brake cables (they hit the caliper mounting bolts and would not even go in). Had to shim it at the adaptor brackets (where they mount to the axle housing).

Shim Cobra brake calipers? - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Good Luck!

Ken

musclestang721

Your differential pin is larger with the 31 spline Eaton diff, and as a result, your axles are moved out by a bit and are resulting in what you're experiencing.

Yes, you can use washers to fix your problem.

Here is someone with the same issue you're dealing with:

Shim Cobra brake calipers? - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Good Luck!

Ken

Thank you!!! x100000000 i've actually been searching all day. I figured a shim was the answer, but wanted to know the cause before just sticking some shims in it. Just in case it was something that was abnormal that would be a saftey or mechanical issue.

Users who are viewing this thread