Why an IRS brace

homer302

Banned
I have searched so if the answer is here please just post a link.
I see that an IRS brace is one of the first mods people suggest. What I don't understand is why. I have had 5 8.8 rear end Mustangs and have raced them all without a problem. I understand that the Terminator has an independant rear but it's still an 8.8. Is it just that the Terminator has so much more horsepower than my previous 5.0 liter cars or what? I wouldn't think so cause the GT500 has 500 hp and I don't see anyone worrying about putting a brace on those.
Thanks for your help guys. I am just new to the whole Terminator scene.

xenodragon

Established Member
I dunno, but I have definetly had 2 diff leaks, and as soon as I put the diff brace on, it never leaked again

homer302

Banned
Thanks for the reply. What was leaking? Was something cracked or broken?
I also notice you have way more power than I do.
I just have a 2.93 and a tune. Maybe it's only needed when you up the power level?

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
A regular 8.8 won't do this
IRSFailure_Case3_Pic002.jpg

but a Cobra 8.8 will.

Thats why we make these
white-brace.JPG

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO this is a mod that is well worth the money you'll pay for it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have searched so if the answer is here please just post a link.
I see that an IRS brace is one of the first mods people suggest. What I don't understand is why. I have had 5 8.8 rear end Mustangs and have raced them all without a problem. I understand that the Terminator has an independant rear but it's still an 8.8. Is it just that the Terminator has so much more horsepower than my previous 5.0 liter cars or what? I wouldn't think so cause the GT500 has 500 hp and I don't see anyone worrying about putting a brace on those.
Thanks for your help guys. I am just new to the whole Terminator scene.

The IRS differential comes from the factory mounted in soft rubber bushings and it can wind up on a launch. The differential needs to be stabilized and a rear cover brace should be installed if you're going to be doing hard launches.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I dunno, but I have definetly had 2 diff leaks, and as soon as I put the diff brace on, it never leaked again
My diff was leaking too but as soon as the BF brace was installed, it stopped. :thumbsup:

Get the BF brace, at the minimum it will help keep your garage floor clean...

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
+1 for all the above plus its an aluminum housing not like a regular solid axle. I cracked the diff cover on my Irs WITH a billetflow brace on it. I now have a solid axle.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
IRS brace is a must on these cars if they are gonna see any track time. the IRS does not have rigid axles to hold the diff in place like your GT had. Each half shaft moves on its CV joints etc. As you go up in RWHP consider solid bushings to replace the ford rubber as well.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you are going to bullet proof your IRS, You will want to do the full Delrin and Aluminum bushing up grade PLUS the Billet Flow diff cover brace.

Delrin here --->http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260665

Diff cover brace here ---> http://www.billetflow.com/irs_brace.htm

I have both, yet I don't drag race any more. Wheel hop DESTROYS the relatively thin diff cover, which also doubles as a diff mounting point.

When (not if) the rubber diff mount bushings allow the diff to twist and lift the pinion snout, it unloads the tires and then the diff moves back. This happens rapidly and wheel hop is the result. The diff cover brace allows the diff loads to be spread into the main "diff chunk" and not the thin cover.

My wheel hop is GONE.

I decided not to risk just using the, more complete, "bushing solution" by itself.
The cover brace is a well thought out, high quality AMERICAN made product, that is well worth doing, even if you get serious and do the Delrin too.

The Ultra high torque, serious drag racers, will usually run a bullet proofed 8.8 stick axle, but the 8.8 IRS can and has been modded to handle BIG POWER and STICKY TIRES.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I have intake/exhaust and with the roads here in AZ, I have wheel hop almost every time above 5k RPM in 1st gear. It sucks. Brace will be ordered soon.

Users who are viewing this thread