Need help cutting stock springs.

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
Looking for information on cutting stock springs. I'm wanting to cut them to make about an inch drop all the way around. I don't want it to low on the count of it riding like poop. Any information about this would be great! Also, is it hard taking the springs off? putting on?

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
No, not hard at all, very easy. Cut 1/2 coil for your desired drop, not enough in my opinion thought. Should go 3/4 all around.

There are so good writeups in the How-To section.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I cut mine 3/4 all around and it sits perfect for my taste. Wound up dropping the car just over an inch. Swapping out the springs really is a simple job, especially the rear.

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
I cut mine 3/4 all around and it sits perfect for my taste. Wound up dropping the car just over an inch. Swapping out the springs really is a simple job, especially the rear.

I just looked up pictures of your black cobra and man does that thing look good. I believe i will cut them 3/4 all the way around.

Silverboost

Established Member
I did mine 1/3 coil in the rear, and 1/4 coil in the front.
Works good on track, didn't whack out my bump steer, and I'm not scraping every where I go.

IMHO it's perfect.

Kind of off topic...but I got my first Autocross event this Sunday. After reading all your post and how much fun you have had over the years autocrossing has inspired me to go out and try it. I have a feeling i am going to have a new addiction.

92 Couper

Established Member
Please post pictures. I am about to do the same thing. I have a set of take off coupe springs, struts and shocks and will be cutting them to get a little drop. I will be keeping all the stock isolators in the car and am trying to decide between 1/2 coil and 3/4 coil. I do not want it too low, preferably I want to drop it an inch all the way around.

MikeW

Established Member
My stockers cut 1 coil on all four.

2897048892_4b44e447de_b.jpg

MikeW

Established Member

Well mine are vert springs but I dont know if that will make a diff or not. I use the stock ISO's too BTW.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I just looked up pictures of your black cobra and man does that thing look good. I believe i will cut them 3/4 all the way around.

Thanks man! :beer:

Please post pictures. I am about to do the same thing. I have a set of take off coupe springs, struts and shocks and will be cutting them to get a little drop. I will be keeping all the stock isolators in the car and am trying to decide between 1/2 coil and 3/4 coil. I do not want it too low, preferably I want to drop it an inch all the way around.

Here ya go..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343389&highlight=linear+springs+coil

svt2ner

Established Member
Vert springs are softer than coupe... I have coupe springs

DSCN0434.gif

DSCN0453.gif

DSCN0463.gif

DSCN0464.gif

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I did mine 1/3 coil in the rear, and 1/4 coil in the front.
Works good on track, didn't whack out my bump steer, and I'm not scraping every where I go.

IMHO it's perfect.

Have some pics?:beer: Or is it in your website?

Users who are viewing this thread