Question for you Cobra guys

SVT2122

Established Member
Hey guys, I don't usually post in here but I'm considering selling my lightning to "mod the shit" of my 02 GT. I was thinking about swapping for an IRS, and than finding a used 4.6 DOHC out of a 03/04 cobra, along with the T56. So I'm wondering where I can find such an engine?

I love my truck, but it's not as pleasurable to drive, I find my self taking the mustang out a lot more, and I've always wanted a cobra, so idk what I'm trying to say, tell me if I'm crazy.

= Sean

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Save yourself some money and just buy a nice used one.

By the time you get done trying to build one through swaps, you will probably have spent more and you will go crazy trying to track down every little part to make it work.:bash::fm:

Unless you find a wreck that has minimal front end damage.:shrug::dw:

svt911targa

Established Member
Hey guys, I don't usually post in here but I'm considering selling my lightning to "mod the shit" of my 02 GT. I was thinking about swapping for an IRS, and than finding a used 4.6 DOHC out of a 03/04 cobra, along with the T56. So I'm wondering where I can find such an engine?

I love my truck, but it's not as pleasurable to drive, I find my self taking the mustang out a lot more, and I've always wanted a cobra, so idk what I'm trying to say, tell me if I'm crazy.

= Sean

Sounds like an ebay item to me, it will be sweet swap. i have 97 built with a 03 motor and runs 9.8 in the Q.

SVT2122

Established Member
I don't know, I'm getting a little discouraged the more thinking about it I do. The only reason I'm considering this is due to how much money it's going to cost me to go built in my lightning to put down the numbers I want to be putting down. Idk, guess I have some more thinking to do lol.

Thanks,
Sean

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
listen to jimmys post above, when u try an swap a motor into a car its not supposed to be in u run into so much crap that u don't have, such as certain bolts and wires it will drive u nuts an kill ur wallet.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Save yourself some money and just buy a nice used one.

By the time you get done trying to build one through swaps, you will probably have spent more and you will go crazy trying to track down every little part to make it work.:bash::fm:

What he said
If you want more info get a hold of STEEDAFEVER on here.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
What he said
If you want more info get a hold of STEEDAFEVER on here.

x2 you will save money in the long run and be able to get more out of it in case you have to sale the Cobra. it might be hard to sell your lighting and GT with times as they are but you will be happier with getting a very nice used terminator.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
What you should do depends a lot on the horsepower level you have in mind. There is no reason in the world your 2v can't make a ton of power. Drop in a livernois (or the likes thereof) built aluminum shortblock, have your 2v heads worked over by someone like fox lake, put in some reasonable cams, and strap on a procharger. Sort your fuel system (which you have to do on basically every terminator going north of 500 anyway), drop in a clutch & a tune & you'll have more power & less weight than most terminators on here. With a setup like that, you'd whip the shit out of my terminator. As for swapping to the IRS, that's an ongoing debate. All I'll say about that is myself and those like me who've swapped to a built solid axle with aftermarket suspension would never go back to an IRS.

SVT2122

Established Member
Well I found an article of parts needed, and just more info on the swap and I've decided against it. I'm just going to keep the stock motor, and maybe down the road if these new Trick Flow heads prove themselves, get a high compression motor built and spray the shit out of it. :shrug:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
i say sell both the L and the GT and just pick up an 03-04 if you are going to put a DOHC in your GT anyway. But if i were in your shoes i would just sell the GT and mod the crap outta the L.

tinosc281

Established Member
questions

the swap is not as complicated as everybody makes it out to be.all you need is a complete motor with harnesses for the motor .you can use the afco dual pass heat exchanger to eliminate the need for all the intercooler related hardware.also you dont have to replace any dashboard harnesses or inside harnesses because they are all compatible.as long as you can get you hands on a cobra ecm you are fine but you can get by just by using the stock ecm. just with some wiring modification.i've done it in my o1 saleen .i picked up everything on ebay best place to get some deals if your cautious.and having a sleeper gt will surprise a lot of people.my saleen get's a lot of respect from a lot of cobra owners.

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
If you think about it your gonna spend 6-8k on motor tranny and wiring harness. Plus who knows how much on IRS unless you find somebody to do a swap. Like they said, when your swapping motors like that you run into a lot of headaches and stuff that'll nickel and dime you. I"d just say get yourself a cheap one, I've seen a few higher mile terminators go for 15k. If you ever sold the gt I highly doubt you'd get your money out of it.

SVT2122

Established Member
While I would love to sell the both of my cars, and buy a terminator, its just not an option. If I were to sell the lightning, and just have the GT to drive around everyday, through rain and snow, I don't care because its just a GT at the end of the day. If a terminator was my only car, I'd cry if it had to see snow. Not only that but I already have the mustang sitting in my driveway, I hate buying cars.

As of now, my truck is going upstate into a garage for storage. I don't think I can part ways with it just yet. It all depends on if I find a good deal on the motor and trans, part of me wants to stay 2v, but it's going to be just as expensive in my mind.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
If you think about it your gonna spend 6-8k on motor tranny and wiring harness. Plus who knows how much on IRS unless you find somebody to do a swap. Like they said, when your swapping motors like that you run into a lot of headaches and stuff that'll nickel and dime you. I"d just say get yourself a cheap one, I've seen a few higher mile terminators go for 15k. If you ever sold the gt I highly doubt you'd get your money out of it.

+1:beer:

93cobrajunkie

Established Member
There's even salvage terminators going for 12-14k fixed. Do some looking around, I've been looking around for a terminator for a few months to find the right one. I found a 10th anniversary, KB, all that stuff 638rwhp for 25k. Only 10k miles. Look around man, you'll be surprised what you'll find. Craigslist is the way to go.

MysticVert

Established Member
You can budget build your GT into a Cobra and it'll be cheaper then buying an 03/04 Cobra. I would keep your solid rear in it though. That will save you money, and in my opinion, gives you a better platform then the crappy IRS. Just upgrade to 4.10s.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
save yourself some money and just buy a nice used one.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread