Lost oil pressure twice in a month.

racebronco2

Established Member
25,000 miles on the engine and spun a rod bearing. Bought new crank, new rods and bearings. Lost oil pressure on track with about 400 or so miles on car. Will take the engine apart on the weekend to find out what happened. Shit happens, it's not as bad as the guy whom blew his c6zo6 and car caught on fire from the oil spilling on his exhaust. He had to pick up parts that blew out the bottom of his block which includes a bent connecting rod with no cap and no piston pin.

I guess i will be up-grading. Not sure if i want to get another teksid block, bore the one i have, get a 5.4 and adapt an eaton to it. I do plan on porting the lower intake, port the heads and maybe installing gt supercar cams. I just need more hp to keep up to the c6zo6's on the straights.

Will be looking for some good deals on the parts i need. Don't need to get it running til febuary at the nasa event so i'll have plenty of time for the rebuild.

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
that sucks man.... I know we all kinda know that it's gonna happen sooner or later... but 400 miles.. damn !

I've never tracked a roots/twin screwed car, but i'd go for a 5.4 if you can... aluminum of course, cubes allows you to get out of a corner so much faster!!

Bore out a block is not cheap, i believe wet sleeves are around $2K+ ! The other option is get a stroker crank and keep the revs low... it personally fits my driving style, i never rev more than 6K rpms (my car is a 2V anyway). Actually i was thinking in changing my 3.31 rear end for 3.08's... you just need torque :)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Sucks that happened to you yesterday Carlos.

I think you might be better off keeping the 4.6. Pocket port the heads, gasket match the intake/exhaust and open up the runners accordingly and bump up the compression. It will run very well with the GT cams and upgraded valvetrain. Also, throw some headers on it.

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Sorry to hear that your having problems. Sounds like you know your way around an engine, that will save you some money doing the work yourself.

Good luck with the rebuild, keep us informed.

kobra01

Established Member
Carlos just drop in a Ford GT motor. You can probably get one for like 85 million dollars. Just kidding. What's the name of the web site of the photographer from yesterday. I wanted to show my wife the vette. Thanks.

racer

Established Member
Ah shit Carlos.
Comes with the territory I'm afraid. Best of luck with the build, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
That really sucks Carlos. I can't believe it put you out so quickly. It would have been nice to get some time on the Roval. Thanks again for putting everything togather. Maybe we can teach the vet guys how to do a rolling start next time..... :??: A 5.0 stroker might be a bit cheaper than a 5.4 conversion. Best of both worlds? Working on the video now.

racebronco2

Established Member
I do have some video. When you guys were following i just couldn't resist playing with the vettes. I thought both the 750hp vettes would do good times but i ended up passing one of them in the in-field, the other was only 3 seconds faster then my warm-up laps and about a second slower then my best lap in september.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Carlos, long tube headers are a must have on the modded Terminator motors. I went from stock manifolds and UPR catted X pipe to Mac long tubes and off road H pipe. I picked up over 50rwhp. That should help you keep up with the Z06s on the straights. I don't have any problems. Sucks about the motor though. I would go with a 5.0 stroker.

racebronco2

Established Member
I'm leaning towards a stoker 5.0, gt cams, long tubes, stage 5+ blower with slightly ported and cleaned up heads with the lower intake also ported.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
why would you go with the stroker if your looking for durability

your pistons are going to be coming out of the block with the longer stroke, talk about instability at high rpm...
the problem with the 5.4 is that you have to start over with a lot of stuff, the resleeving for the big bore 5.0 is pricey, but you can reuse your teksid and if your crank and rods are ok those should be reusable. You should pick up more power with a big bore than a stroker from what I've seen.
I'd do the 5.4 before a 5.0 stroker, but that's just me blabbering on.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
I'm leaning towards a stoker 5.0, gt cams, long tubes, stage 5+ blower with slightly ported and cleaned up heads with the lower intake also ported.

Now you're talking! :rockon: That should put 625 to the wheels easy. Comp cams has some nice grinds too if you want to bump the static compression a bit...... :beer:

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
why would you go with the stroker if your looking for durability

your pistons are going to be coming out of the block with the longer stroke, talk about instability at high rpm...
the problem with the 5.4 is that you have to start over with a lot of stuff, the resleeving for the big bore 5.0 is pricey, but you can reuse your teksid and if your crank and rods are ok those should be reusable. You should pick up more power with a big bore than a stroker from what I've seen.
I'd do the 5.4 before a 5.0 stroker, but that's just me blabbering on.

I haven't heard of any reliability problems with a stroker. I have heard of problems with the big bore blocks. My crank probably will need to be turned along with a rod or 2 re-sized. The plus with a 5.4 is the added tq but at the cost of the added weight.

Users who are viewing this thread