Project 1996 Cobra

luke87gt

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Rather than split this up and make individual posts, I will go ahead and try to consolidate this into one on-going thread. Some of you guys know me from corral.net where I spent several years documenting the build of my 93 Coupe (the white one on BBS RK Plasmas shown here). Since then I’ve moved on to this 1996 Cobra and have had a good time daily driving and tinkering with for the past year. So far I’ve added the following mods:

- MGW Shifter
- FMS 4.30 Gears with rebuilt trac-lock
- FMS Aluminum Driveshaft
- MM Full Length Subs
- MM Panhard Bar
- MM Height Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms
- H&R SS Springs
- Tokico Blue shocks/struts
- 2004 Cobra A-arms/Spindles
- Replaced every bushing in the car
- New Clutch/Brakes
- 18x9/18x10 Saleens with 265/295 BFG KD2’s

The car is pretty much where I want it to be in terms of looks and suspension/brakes. Now that those items have been addressed, I’d like to focus a bit of energy into freeing up some power. After talking to several member here and reading up on mods, I’ve decided to move forward in the following way... Please feel free to provide any input you may have on the related topics and steer me in the right direction.

First, I’d like to begin by taking the car to my local dyno and obtaining a baseline pull to know what my starting point is. Once I have this information, I plan on adding the following:

Exhaust: I have read that the header removal/install on these 96-98 Cobras can be very time consuming in that the k-member needs to be dropped, or the engine must be elevated. Along with that, I live in CA, and therefore the car must be easily smoggable with no major labor of swapping parts. As a result, I will keep the stock exhaust manifolds, at least for now. How bad are they and how much am I sacrificing by not going to long-tubes for an N/A application? Also, do all 96-up Cobras have the same OEM exhaust manifolds, or do the Terminators have higher flowing manifolds? The rest of the exhaust will be 2.5” BBK H-pipe and 2.5” Catback (Probably Dynomax SuperTurbo).

CAI: After doing several searches, the JLT True CAI kit which locates the filter into the fender, seems to be a popular choice. It offers 4” diameter piping at the compromise of not being able to run the stock 96-98 Cobra strut tower brace. Although this isn't a big deal for me, are there any recommended CAI kits that perform as well as JLT but will allow the STB to be retained?

Pulleys: My plan is to go with the Steeda Power Pulleys Part# 701-0002

Once these mods are completed, I’d like to get a 2nd baseline run before moving on. Once I have these numbers, I’d like to take it a step further with the following:

Short Runner Intake and IMRC deletes: I have corresponded a bit with “na svt” and “98 N/A 4V” who were both helpful and seem to be experienced in the runner shortening process. Aside from shortening the runners by 1.5-2.0”, is there any benefit to doing gasket matching or light porting to the lower intake? As far as the IMRCs go, I intend to do a home delete using JB weld/epoxy and gasket matching the individual ports. I found some good information here if anyone is interested:

Project 'Home-Brewed' Intake Manifold
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/655037-98-n-4v-shortrunner-dyno-results.html

180 Degree Thermostat: I have been told that 96 Cobras had some cooling issues that were not present in the 97-98 cobra models, but I have not been able to find anything to support this nor have I experienced any cooling problems myself. In any case, I do plan on adding an 03-04 Cobra thermostat which is rated at 180 degrees stock. I just picked up the Stant stat at Pepboys yesterday actually. If anyone is interested in learning the difference between the 96-98 Cobra thermostat and the 03-04 Cobra thermostat, click here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tween-terminator-96-98-cobra-thermostats.html

Tune: As far as the tune goes, I will have to do some more research on the topic before I can ask the right questions. However, I am being told that the Xcal is the ticket. With the tune I will also have to delete the IMRC code (due to the deletes), and adjust the temperature that the e-fan comes on due to the thermostat swap. Can anyone explain the process that most tuners typically use to find max power? They are adjusting timing and A/F right? So what sequence do they typically follow for a simple N/A bolt-on car to find that max power? Any literature on this would be greatly appreciated. I plan to research this thoroughly before handing any dough over to a tuner. Also, data-logging is important to me and I’d obviously prefer whatever means gives me the most flexibility and monitorability.

Once all these mods are completed, I intend to go in for a dyno tune to maximize the combo and compare it to the previous two dyno results.

Now for a few black horse questions that I have heard mixed opinions on:

1.) Throttle body – at this stage is there any benefit to adding a larger diameter TB? In the fox world there is almost no benefit to moving to a larger TB than the stock 58mm if the engine is stock. Keep in mind, I do plan on doing the short runner intake on the Cobra.
2.) MAF – The stock 96 Cobra MAF is 80mm, so I don’t think it will be a bottle neck for my N/A application. Unless I stand to gain more than 5rwhp, I’d rather stay away from spending money on this. I am always hearing about guys using the Lighting 90mm MAF (which uses larger injectors). What needs to be modified to use this MAF (with 24lb injectors) and how much power do I stand to gain given my mod list?

Is 300rwhp possible with this list of parts w/o long-tubes? I have looked in depth at the svtperformance 96-98 Cobra dyno thread linked below, and it seems possible, however, I don’t have a good feel for how restrictive those factory Cobra exhaust manifolds are?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/505250-new-sn95-cobra-official-dyno-thread.html

Eventually the car will see some strip action, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I will also be at the Fabulous Fords Forever Show in Knott Berry Farm next Sunday, 4/25/10. If you see my car, come by and say hello.

Thank you guys for your help!

CobraBeforeKnotts.jpg

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
car looks great, to answer some questions..

I have longtubes, felt maybe 1 horsepower of it, probably gain 5rwhp total, and honeslty it quieted my cobra down soo much that i hated it but am used to it now..my o/r x and spintechs was obnoxious..now it is quiet...if i did it again, STOCK MANIFOLDS ARE PERFECT...as for termi manifolds..maybe a little bigger not worth the time and effort..

2- Throttlebody gave me throttle repsonse, but didnt feel much hp under the belt and for 200 bucks(used) it didnt feel it was worth the 2rwhp..

3-cold air..JLT makes the most power, but not STB which was a big issue for me, buddys fox got tboned and the STB saved his gt40 crate motor..so i will always run one.. i had a c&l fit, great and worked great and retained stb..but i have hearrd a drop in K&N filter or a WMS cold air works best with STB...

4-stock maf should be good, i ahd full bolt ons and did not peg it at all...and you will prob make 280-290 rwhp tops with full bolt ons...sorry if that is a dissapointment but if u see most cobras with full bolt ons they range from 265-310 on a good day....hope it helps..u want power u gotta supercharge these motors..also with a shortrunner and imrc deletes u should actually put out about 315 rwhp... hope that helps

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
longtubes make the car loude, they should not make the car more quiet, my sound improved greatly, if you just want a better sound the ford racing shorties will give you more sound but not much in the performance area.

pulleys are also another good thing on your list

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^well i used to have the loudest mustang in town..now my longtubes to o/r x and mac catback is quieter than my buddys gt with a o/r x and macs... maybe it is louder underwot but just normal driving his is louder

gq916

Established Member
luke, just got your PM.

for the 03 cobra maf, i had the tuner install it when i went in for the tune..he calibrated it in himself.
My intake is not ported. the runners were cut 1.5 inches and the floor was raised. imrc plates were not gasket matched.
ForceFed did the tune. I went to AED only for a dyno.
I am also on cafords.

my question to you is, how fast do you want your car to be? how often do you plan on racing it?

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
my car made the #'s in my sig with just a mac catback and jlt cai (not the fenderwell one) so with an o/r h-pipe and pulleys i would imagine 300 is possible (doing these mods myself and hoping for 300 this summer)

F8L BYT

Established Member
I think you have a great list of mods already and upcoming ones as well. The only thing I would change is dont do the fender well JLT, a K/N is just as good performance wise maybe lacking 1-3hp from the JLT. If you are dead set on a JLT then I would go with the RAI instead. You may reach 300 and may not, I would worry about the numbers necessarily because all dynos and cars are different but a dyno tune will definitely increase power and be best.

The SRI will be really helpful for you and I could be wrong but porting a little bit like gasket matching wont do you any good being n/a still. The B-series intakes are one of the highest flowing volume intakes out there and gasket matching wouldnt change anything that you would notice or feel. Again could be wrong

luke87gt

Established Member
Thank you guys for the insight and suggestions.

luke, just got your PM.

for the 03 cobra maf, i had the tuner install it when i went in for the tune..he calibrated it in himself.
My intake is not ported. the runners were cut 1.5 inches and the floor was raised. imrc plates were not gasket matched.
ForceFed did the tune. I went to AED only for a dyno.
I am also on cafords.

my question to you is, how fast do you want your car to be? how often do you plan on racing it?

gq916, do you know what exactly is the procedure for raising the floor (got any pics by chance)? Which floor is actually raised first of all?

This car is actually a daily driver that I tinker with here and there. Now that the suspension, brakes, & rear are addressed, I'd like to do the basic mods to free up some power. I would be thrilled to hit 300rwhp, like you did, but lets see how how far I can go.

I used to race my fox at Sac Raceway quite regularly (13.08 @102.6mph on slicks with a stock motor at full weight), but this car will not become a dedicated racer. Once the car is modded and tuned, I do plan to take the car to the strip a few times on slicks to get some baseline numbers however.

Fox5.0, after doing some research, I agree with you that I will be going with the JLT RAI over the CAI. It's cheaper and tuners seem to prefer it. If I can get my hands on an 03-04 MAF before the final tune, I may do that as well, even though I don't expect much from it.

I have purchased a spare lower intake and IMRC plates.

Next week I plan to order the pulleys and JLT RIA

VegasShelby

Established Member
Car looks great!!!

I have a few questions. (remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people)

I have a '94 vert that has basically been converted to all '98 Cobra.

Unfortunately( or not???) I used the '94 spindles on the '98 K member and then added the '04 Cobra arms. (also running a set of '04 Cobra rims)

The problem is I have a very limited turning radius.

On another site (where you frequent and I used to) one poster said the spindles needed to be upgraded while others said not.

It's my understanding that '96 and above spindles are all the same. If that's true, why did you "upgrade" your '96 spindles to '04??

Any input will be appreciated. Car is done and ready for paint and top if not for this one nagging detail (you have to 3 point the car to get it into a parking stall LOL!!)

Thanks

luke87gt

Established Member
VegasShelby, in the future, please PM me for these types of unrelated questions as I would like to keep this thread dedicated to my upcoming build.

The simple answer to your questions is that I am using '04 spindles because they came attached to my 04 Cobra A-arms that I bought :-D

You are correct in that there is no difference between any 96-04 spindles.

You are also correct that your turning radius will be shortened slightly with 94-95 spindles compared to 96-04 spindles. Why? Because 96-04 spindles will push each wheel out by approximately ~5mm per side. Nothing a steering rack limiter can't fix.

Good luck.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
gq916, do you know what exactly is the procedure for raising the floor (got any pics by chance)? Which floor is actually raised first of all?

To raise the plenum floor I remove a section (from the plenum) and weld the bottom back on.

luke87gt

Established Member
To raise the plenum floor I remove a section (from the plenum) and weld the bottom back on.

Thank you for the reply. I am wondering if you have pics of the plenum floor mod? Also, how do you know how much to raise and what does this do exactly?

Thanks!

cobra916

Established Member
i would copy exactly gq916s car.. i think he might be the bolt on king and he is running on sucky 91 octane..

march fluid dampener and cobra r power steering pulley
03 cobra maf
bassani midlengths (mid pipe easy slip on and off cats)
jlt short intake (cold air with 90 degree bends not great for maf readings)
hand head tuner sctx3
tune shop...this is tricky since we live in norcal.pm me on this one
intake manifold 99.9 people will tell you short runner from either main dude..but maybe on this one you could do a before and after to get some real proof..
gears 430s if your all about drag racing maybe 410s for the street..you have to have short gears since these cars lack tq

im on califods too mach916

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
longtubes make the car loude, they should not make the car more quiet, my sound improved greatly, if you just want a better sound the ford racing shorties will give you more sound but not much in the performance area.

Long tubes for me actually quieted my car down a lot.

stock manifolds, o/r x pipe, flowmasters and was told on numerous occasions, that my car was the loudest street car anyone has heard.

But it was obnoxious and sounded like crap around town... although I LOVEE the sound LTs have at WOT.

With that said, I definitely felt a lot of power gained back under the curve and on top of that it delivers a much better sound.

luke87gt

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys but where is the short runner tech?

I have not decided if I want to buy the short runner or make one myself.

I am interested in learning more about the process of shortening the runners and raising the plenum floor.

If I do go the route of doing it myself, I plan to full document the mod and present it here as well.

thanks!

Can anyone comment on the results of the reduced plenum cover volume shown here:

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/rdvolcvr.html

Does this have the same effect as raising the floor?

Last edited:

Pitmitch910

Established Member
ive noticed cobras like the straight thru style mufflers like borla, bassani, magnapacks, chambered ones like mac and flows sound good but they become quiet with lt's for some reason. my car has to be one of the loudest cobras with full exhaust ive heard other then lt's orx and lm 1's..

Users who are viewing this thread