SMOG delete??. egr del???

danielson631

Established Member
ok so i am switching to COPs soon, and once the coilpacks and wires are gone, you will be able to see more and the first things that will catch your eye will be the two pumps (smog pumps?)

i would like to learn more about deleting the smog system on these 4vs.
also, ive heard EGR deletes cause cooling problems and what not, but id also like to learn more about that.

i dont have time to search through 1000threads, and the search feature isnt specific enough, so i was hoping someone could give me some advice.

car has no major mods except intake/ o/r h pipe.

im just looking to get rid of things that i dont need. especially things that help with the environment, bc i can careless about it.

i am not worried about passing inspection neither, i have a guy for that.

any info is greatly appreciated.

also, if you have nothing useful to say, please dont say it. thanks.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
i have looked up everything as i am getting ready to delete the egr and "smog" secondary air injection crap. Its pretty much self explanatory. Remove everything, cap the hard lines that run to and from the exhaust manifolds, remove all the vacuum lines except the one that runs into the firewall for your hvac controls, and then get a tune to turn off the SAI and EGR.....from what i have read deleting the egr will hurt your gas mileage slightly but my car is just a weekend toy so im not much worried about mpg with it. Hope this helps.

danielson631

Established Member
yes thank you.

i understand how to remove the equipment i was just wondering if its any good/bad for the motor, and what are some negatives (like you said bad MPG).

i dont want to do anything that will in the end hurt my motor. just wanted to make sure it was safe. and the motor will still be running tip top once everything is gone.

bluebullitt256

Established Member
The secondary air injection is for emissions purposes only. It just pumps air into the exhaust manifolds upon initial start up to help heat up the cats quicker and reduce emissions. Deleting the egr will slightly effect fuel mileage but it will reduce the amount of crap being sucked into the secondary intake ports from recirculating exhaust gases and unburned fuel, etc. etc from the egr. Trust me look up some pics of the intake with the egr and then with it being deleted. Its much much cleaner without the egr. Deleting both of them will have no negative impacts besides slight mpg difference. Just make sure you get a tune to turn both of them off and your engine will never be able to tell the difference.

harvboi05

Established Member
i just deleted both SAI and EGR in my car and get about 17.9 mpg on the tank. highway and city driving, with a whole lotta WOT pulls.

go for it, youll never notice the difference.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's kinda hard to see the air pump as it's in the fenderwell.
The EGR is only open for a short period' it's not on while cruising down the road.
The PCV contributes more to the "crap" in the intake than any other single component.

There are no negatives that come from deleting both and mileage won't suffer.

danielson631

Established Member
alright thanks for the info guys.

on other forums, nobody seems to know anything about deleting these systems.

i mainly want to get rid of these ( can someone give me the exact name of these parts, and this is part of the....smog system? sorry still learning)

HPIM0211.jpg
HPIM0197.jpg

the main reason i want to get rid of these pump things, is bc im doing a COP conversion soon. once i get rid of the coilpacks, you will be able to see these a lot more. also, i believe the brackets thats hold the packs, are part of the whole peice that also holds the PS resevior, and the bracket for those pumps are bolted down the that whole piece(sorry if this doesnt make any sense or if you cant picture what im talking about)

bluebullitt256

Established Member
i think there called the actuator valves for the secondary air injection. Either way no matter what they are called, you can remove them without any negative issues. Let us know how everything goes since like i said i will be doin this soon too as soon as i get a tune to delete them.

danielson631

Established Member
im going to wait until i switch to the COPs to remove the SAI system. which should be soon i just need a set of COPs and the harness from the guy selling them here.
i will pick up 2 caps for the exhaust manifolds, i saw the sizes somewhere, if anyone know though pls fill me in. not sure how easy it will be to remove that stuff with the engine in the car? looks tight.

think im also going to leave the EGR system alone seems to complicated. what the deal with those hoses running behind the engine? seems difficult to remove.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Established Member
It's kinda hard to see the air pump as it's in the fenderwell.
The EGR is only open for a short period' it's not on while cruising down the road.
The PCV contributes more to the "crap" in the intake than any other single component.

There are no negatives that come from deleting both and mileage won't suffer.

+1 to the bold, nothing will change(either driveability or mileage).

SAI heats up the cats to operating temp and the EGR only runs during idle and sustained throttle, testing conditions, or so I thought. It reduces emissions by filling the cylinders with inert gases to reduce exhaust.

A catch can will be the greatest thing to prevent gunk buildup.

danielson631

Established Member
hey guys i need a little more advice before i dig into this.

for the SAI system, exactly what vacuum lines do i have to remove? ive heard all of them except the one that runs through the firewall for the hvac controls. but where is that hose suppose to connect?

also, does anyone have any advice on removing the hard rusted lines that go to the headers? would it be easier to do from under the hood? i know to use plenty of rust buster, anyone have any other tips?

thanks in advance

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
remove the SAI from underneath the car, its really the only way to access the smog pump and all the brackets/bolts. You need two caps that are fairly big maybe 1 inch or 3/4 to cap it, but I can't remember now.

The EGR is the easy part to remove, it is one pipe going from the rear of the drivers side exhaust manifold up to the intake, remove it and cap it off at the header and then with a delete plate at the intake manifold so both spots must be sealed.

The SAI, vacuum lines run around the manifold, you just have to follow them, its very easy. Just plug the vacuum tube going into the firewall for the HVAC directly into the upper hat of the intake manifold. When you disconnect the other vacuum lines it will leave one open coming off the passenger side at the rear of the manifold that you plug it into.

edit: here is another thread with some pictures and info http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/596594-egr-sai-delete-2.html

Last edited:

danielson631

Established Member
i tried and tried today to remove the hard lines that run to the exhaust manifolds for the SAI system, i just couldn't get them to budge. soaked them in pb blaster, still nothing.

do i have to remove the fittings from the actuator valves first? i feel like im doing something wrong or they are just so rusted over, and there isnt much room to move a wrench around under there.

i didnt want to give up, but i just couldnt win

TDUB003

Established Member
Does anyone have a write up on this and the PCV delete? I want to get rid of them to keep the IMRC's from getting so gunked up until I swap to C heads.

Users who are viewing this thread