Pic Request: Rio Red W/ Cobra R's... What's the best size for open tracking?

SVT Pille

Established Member
Hey guys I've been searching and searching and can't really find any good pics of a Rio Red sn with Cobra R's. Would preffer the 2000's but I'm considering aluminum '95s too.

Also as a little note which size would be better for open tracking? Ik the weight difference between 17's and 18's is obvious but which would be better for cornering. If I get 17's it will be 275x40 NT05's all around, 18's would be 275's with a 40 rear and 35 up front. Planning on full road course suspension and brembos later this year if that helps.

amorrow

Established Member
Stick with non-staggered 17s unless you insist on larger front brake rotors - tires will be significantly cheaper, and going bigger on these cars just isn't worth it with regard to performance. But before you replace your brakes, I suggest give your stock brakes a try with Porterfield R4-1 or R4 pads and some simple front ducts....this may deter you from spending that $$$ on Brembos.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Stick with non-staggered 17s unless you insist on larger front brake rotors - tires will be significantly cheaper, and going bigger on these cars just isn't worth it with regard to performance. But before you replace your brakes, I suggest give your stock brakes a try with Porterfield R4-1 or R4 pads and some simple front ducts....this may deter you from spending that $$$ on Brembos.

Yeah that's an option but the brembos just look so badass, I prolly will delete the fogs and get ducts eventually tho. I guess the main thing I was getting at is there a handling advantage to having 18's? I figured the 2000 R came with them for a reason.

amorrow

Established Member
18s look nice, and Ford is in the business to sell cars. I have staggered 18s even for the track, but I haven't noticed a significant difference in performance, and I'll pay significantly more for tires twice a year. If you want to do the same for a track toy, that's just up to you.

SVT Pille

Established Member
I think 17" '95 R's would be my best bet then. It's such a tough choice lol.

Last edited:

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
the weight difference from 17's to 18's would not be a good idea, imo. You want to find the lightest wheel for open tracking. Less weight is better.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Any ideas besides the obvious '95 R's and 03 Cobras that will clear Brembos? 17" FR500's won't clear them and I don't like bullitts either.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
being a race style wheel, I would bet. I am not certain on that, though. 16lbs a wheel is really good.

after doing some looking, I have seen two different answers, one says yes, and one says no. The one that I saw that said yes, the person asked if they would clear Cobra R brakes, and another person answered yes. So, I don't know.

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member

mcaligiuri

Established Member
listangsetown23lq.jpg

picture2974jn.jpg

picture2991cy.jpg

100_0932.jpg

i have couple more pics around here somewhere

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'll try to take some pics today or tomorrow. Has some MM gear on it so that might give you a good idea of how it sits with road race type susp

amorrow: Would it be wise to stick with the PBR caliper with said pads, but replace the rotors with 2-piece from Full Tilt Boogie? Seems like a decent weight savings without shelling out $$$ for Brembo/Griggs/Alcon, etc.

I wish I could do the 14" set-up that Jimmysidecar was researching

amorrow

Established Member
Those are an option worth looking into, however I have no experience with those rotors nor have heard anything about them...so I wouldn't recommend them without knowing anything about them. But unsprung weight is the best weight to shed. I still have my original rotors (car only has 13K miles and Porterfield pads have been fairly easy on them), and most others I've raced with have just used stock replacements, keeping in mind none of us are driving serious racecars, and only compete for fun. And in my opinion PBR calipers are sufficient for track use with good pads, braided lines, and adequate fluid (I use Motul 600). My car performs well running ~8 lap sessions at speed on ~2mi road courses, and I honestly don't see a need to go with different calipers, as I don't notice significant brake fade, and my car stops well relative to the others on the track. I'm obviously not implying you won't see any measureable improvement going to higher-end brake setups, but you just have to ask yourself how much you want to spend on a track toy that's not a dedicated purpose-built racecar.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
18s...it wont matter especially for the amount of tracking..Chris and i just went in his vette...his stock brakes (14") and 18s with Nittos 555rs did just fine, he also has brake ducts but no brake fade and the tires didnt get too chewed up...ull be fine...put more power down to make up for the extra 30 pounds for the 18inch wheels..o btw.. here ya go

That's not true at all, it absolutely matters... I wouldn't be surprised if an extra 30 pounds of unsprung weight made a car at least a full second slower on most road race tracks. Extra unsprung weight makes cars handle noticeably worse especially over rough surfaces which is where the majority of the lost time will come from but it also sucks power because it's harder to turn them which if you make up for with more horsepower then makes the brakes work harder.

Reducing unsprung weight is one of the more important things when building a track day car if you want to go fast and the rule of thumb is to run the smallest wheel you can for the brakes that you have chosen which in our case is a 17" wheel.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Ciotti, i am not disagreeing with you, i commented this on the fact that Pille is only going to open track his car like once a year, plus he is not an experienced bad ass road race driver, so he is not going to push his car ultra hard or notice any of these things. Not bashing you pille, but he has never been to a road course and driven his car on one. So bluntly saying, its not an all out open track car. Its daily driven and may see the track once or twice a year lol..

SVT Pille

Established Member
I'm bringing this one back from the dead... Narrowed it down to 2K R's or RPF1's and Ifound chrome 2000's for $550 with tires today. Somebody send me pics of how they look, RPF1's too if you them I can't find oogats.

Users who are viewing this thread