Pic Request: Rio Red W/ Cobra R's... What's the best size for open tracking?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
the weight difference from 17's to 18's would not be a good idea, imo. You want to find the lightest wheel for open tracking. Less weight is better.

If this is mostly a looks thing, then just completely ignore this post.

If you are considering ever going 14" brakes you will want to buy wheels just once... buy 18s with generous caliper clearance.

If you are planning on keeping the 13" rotors, the Y2KR Brembos work very well inside 98 17x8 Cobras, ALL 17x9 Cobras, and my favorite FRPP 17x9 95 Cobra Rs. 23 pounds and very strong.:rockon:

That is still my wheel and brake set up(with ducts), 18 inch rubber is expensive, 18" wheels are even more expensive.

It is best to not go buying a whole bunch of stuff and modding the car before you at least get bumped out of green group.
You will actually learn faster and become a better driver in a slower car.

Spend your dough on entry fees, motel, gas, brake pads and tires.
Do as many events per year as you can afford.
Do as many rain events as you can do, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!
Rain events magnify the rate at which you learn car control... like times 10!!

04 chrome Cobras front ..............................................95 Cobra Rs rear
LOL I corded some tires and had to juggle what I had available.:p
PB1000131.jpg

TWS2007pcahillcountry010.jpg

800w.jpg

Tires get used up!
PB110015.jpg

Last edited:

SVT Pille

Established Member
If this is mostly a looks thing, then just completely ignore this post.

If you are considering ever going 14" brakes you will want to buy wheels just once... buy 18s with generous caliper clearance.

If you are planning on keeping the 13" rotors, the Y2KR Brembos work very well inside 98 17x8 Cobras, ALL 17x9 Cobras, and my favorite FRPP 17x9 95 Cobra Rs. 23 pounds and very strong.:rockon:

That is still my wheel and brake set up(with ducts), 18 inch rubber is expensive, 18" wheels are even more expensive.

It is best to not go buying a whole bunch of stuff and modding the car before you at least get bumped out of green group.
You will actually learn faster and become a better driver in a slower car.

Spend your dough on entry fees, motel, gas, brake pads and tires.
Do as many events per year as you can afford.
Do as many rain events as you can do, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!
Rain events magnify the rate at which you learn car control... like times 10!!

04 chrome Cobras front ..............................................95 Cobra Rs rear
LOL I corded some tires and had to juggle what I had available.:p
PB1000131.jpg

TWS2007pcahillcountry010.jpg

800w.jpg

Tires get used up!
PB110015.jpg

Thanks Jimmy, always been a fan of your car. Like Christian said before, the car will probably see the track once or twice a year so it is mostly a looks thing, was just curious about the advantages between the two wheels. Thanks for the good input though.

Users who are viewing this thread