Post subframe install

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
After hearing everyone rant and rave about installing sub-frames I went ahead and ordered and installed a pair of Maximum Motorsports Full Lengths.
Before the install my vert would crack, creek, flex ect.
After the install vert still cracks, creeks and flexes...

My driveway has a incline and I typically drive up it at a 45 degree angle to avoid scraping.

When driving up my driveway after my sub install should my car creek, crack and or flex? Does your vert still flex after your subframe install?
What feel should I expect after the install?
What tests if any can I preform to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Wow, I think your experience is unusual. I felt a huge difference on my coupe.

How were they installed? What kind of lip. What kind of welds. Did you do the bolts for the seats?

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
To be completely honest with you I don't know.
I do know that the bolts for the seats were used, but as far as the welds are concerned I have no Idea. They were installed by Eric@Precession Fabrication.

If you haven't heard of him, he carved himself a nice little niche with his INTERCOOLER RESERVOIR. He's a great welder and has installed subframes on countless stangs. To say the least I hold him in high regard.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
I am getting mine installed on Wednesday. To tell you the truth, last time I had subframes installed on my 02 GT, I could'nt tell any difference either.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Phillycobra, what kind of difference should you feel btw. Are the instructions in the box for the mm full length SFC's? I ask because they need to be installed properly.

RJCobra

Established Member
Didn't fix my creaks/pops, but it probably will help keep new ones from forming. Also some of those noises are probably in the suspension and not in the frame.

maddrabitt

Established Member
Noel, take a good corner pretty fast and see if it feels a little more tight. Just dont take it too fast and kill yourself, we still need a rematch for video

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I felt:

Much more precise steering reaction, particularly when cornering hard.

Much less creaking in dash and rear seat area when going over bumps and driveway lips.

A firmer, but more controlled reaction to bumps and dips-- perehaps a little more input into car, but more immediate damping of body movement.

The results were very clear-- not subtle.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
maddrabitt said:
Noel, take a good corner pretty fast and see if it feels a little more tight. Just dont take it too fast and kill yourself, we still need a rematch for video
:lol:
can see it now....
~Taking a corner at 80mph, Yes, it feels tighter,, then I slide off the road
Dammit, Thanks Rob...:cuss:

swami

Established Member
i installed mm full lengts on a '99 GT and it really reduced body flex (no groans here ever?) even though the first installer didn't weld it per mm's instructions (i got down on my knees and looked!). i installed a bullit suspension later and had the weld job finished so i don't really know what the FULL initial benefit would've been. they will be going on my '03 cobra coupe (it doesn't groan either).HTH

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
I felt:

Much more precise steering reaction, particularly when cornering hard.

Much less creaking in dash and rear seat area when going over bumps and driveway lips.

A firmer, but more controlled reaction to bumps and dips-- perehaps a little more input into car, but more immediate damping of body movement.

The results were very clear-- not subtle.
+1. And I really noticed a difference at the track. Much less twist on launch and much easier to point and shoot when shifting into 2nd.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Jarheads are my friend!! :bowdown:

Since your car had subframes on it from the factory, (even if they aren't the best in the world) I wouldn't expect much difference with your new ones under normal driving conditions. The factory ones do a pretty good job in that case.

Your car is a vert. The damn things creak and groan. It comes with the territory.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Before sub frame connectors, when I jacked up the car only one wheel would come off the ground. Now, with the subs, I can get three wheels off the ground at once with a jack under the end of one sub frame connector. The car is absolutely rigid.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Thank you everyone. I now have a good understanding of what to expect. Last night I ran into an 02 camaro SS, older porsche (with turbo on his rear bumper), 350z, a couple of C5's and I ass pounded ricer after ricer. So I had a chance to get on her good.
The ride definitely feels a hell of a lot stiffer on turns and on heavy execration.

I guess the big thing I was missing was, expecting all of the creaks to go away under normal driving conditions.
What FireRed04Vert said makes complete sense:
FireRed04Vert said:
The damn things creak and groan. It comes with the territory.
Well I'm off to get a MM Strut Tower Bar.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
PhillyCobra said:
Body lift doesn't put chassis in proper loaded position to benefit from SFC's.
I just want to make sure I understand what a body lift is. Is that the lift that has 4 separate arms that that are placed under the car?

Users who are viewing this thread