What's the best way to bleed air out of aftercooler reservoir?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm installing my new aftercooler coolant reservoir tonight, and was wondering which was the best way to 'burp' air out of the system?

I want to make sure I get it all out so I don't have any issues with hotspots.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
ugotbit03 said:
you could fill it up then jump the relay, its on the rh side inner fender near the air intke , jump the left and right pin togrther and watch it bubble

Would letting the car idle with the cap off the reservoir do the same?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Would letting the car idle with the cap off the reservoir do the same?

That takes way longer, just jump the relay, done in minutes.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
stolen from Narcosynthesis

ce6cce8f.jpg

8c117999.jpg

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
does that just let the pump cycle? I am assuming you would need to watch the level of coolant then refill, etc.? I am about to install my HE and have the same questions.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Like others have said. Simply jump the relay with the cover to your new ice box off, let it run for a few minutes and you are done.....

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
This isn't like the engine cooling system, it's much simpler and really doesn't have "hot spots". Like the guys said, just let the pump run for a few minutes and it will purge any air in the system quickly. Just make sure you don't let the reservoir run dry and let the pump cavitate. Real easy.

Why you're there jumping the relay, why don't you install a toggle switch so you can turn the pump on manually? That way you can turn it on between rounds at the track and cool the intercooler while you're sitting in the pits.

moddedmystic

Established Member
I've read other posts on this subject and some people were saying that you have to remove one of the hoses going to the HE (with the pump running) to prime the pump and get the air out.

Mark

racebronco2

Established Member
i put the he swap last weekend ... all i did to bleed the system was to jump the relay ... make sure it is full cause when i does start pumping it will drain all the fluid out of your reservoir

Brad

Banned
I just started the car, after about 5 it started bubbling, fluid level dropped, added a little more fluid, dropped again, bubbled for a min, dropped a little more, added a little more, then I was done. Where is this relay? If it takes anymore than 2 min to find and jump it doesn't seem worth it..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Brad said:
I just started the car, after about 5 it started bubbling, fluid level dropped, added a little more fluid, dropped again, bubbled for a min, dropped a little more, added a little more, then I was done. Where is this relay? If it takes anymore than 2 min to find and jump it doesn't seem worth it..

Looks to be on the side of the intake tube, prolly around where the mass air is.. bolted to the fenderwell.

2814v

Established Member
Boosted521 said:
about 70% coolant and 30% distilled water should be fine. using distilled water helps stop corrosion.

Would'nt 70% distilled water and 30% coolant be a better mix, as long as you dont live in the frozen tundra.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
2814v said:
Would'nt 70% distilled water and 30% coolant be a better mix, as long as you dont live in the frozen tundra.

That's what I've heard.

Also, you've got to consider adding ice to your cooler tank would start to quickly dilute the 'standard' 50/50 water/antifreeze mix, so you'd be emptying the tank and putting more coolant in all the time.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I ran some air through the system tonight while I was trying to drain the water I had and replace with anitifreeze. Jumped it and there is no flow but I hear the pump running. What do I do?

Users who are viewing this thread