315 Sumitomo on a 9" Rim?

SVT543of2003

Established Member
I have 10th Anniversary rims and want to put a 315 out back, but my rims are only 17x9....will it fit? looking at 315-35-17 HRZ. Any rub with 315's with IRS?

Not being able to get 10th Anniv rims in 17x10 is a seperate rant! :(

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
i feel your pain about the no 17.10.5 or 18x9/10.5 in 10th wheels..i am patiently waiting

as far as the 315's go...i wouldn't recomend it..the car will be riding on the side walls and it's not real safe to do so.

SVT543of2003

Established Member
i feel your pain about the no 17.10.5 or 18x9/10.5 in 10th wheels..i am patiently waiting

as far as the 315's go...i wouldn't recomend it..the car will be riding on the side walls and it's not real safe to do so.

What's the biggest I can go then?

tjs98gt

Established Member
sumitomos are garbage anyway. a good 275 series tire will hook better than any size sumitomo. itd be a waste

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Sumitomos have the smallest section width of any street tire 315. You can mount them on the factory wheels. It will bulge some, but for most people it's not too bad.

Expect it to look very similar to what a Nitto 315 looks like on a factory wheel...

315_Nittos.jpg

I wouldn't want to try that with a Goodyear or BFG 315, but you should be OK with a Sumitomo.

edit - Sumitomos aren't going to get you any more traction than your factory tires...so be aware of that.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
It'll work fine. I used to run 315 BFG's on the stock wheel. However after 3-4 sets i learned enough about them to not recommed them on stock wheels.

Summo's are a 1" or narrower than the BFG's so they should work fine. Nittos work fine on stock wheels. In fact they look better than a 275.

JMD0346

Established Member
^ not any Ive seen. If you go to a 10.5" wheel you will have to grind it down or use a button head.

If you are worried about it get a 1/8" spacer. I shaved down my IRS bolt and run 18" spacer on mine. Thats with 10.5" wheels with 315 BFG DR's.

Honestly Ive ran 3-4 sets of Nittos and 3-4 sets of BFG's on a stock wheel andnever had a problem with them rubbing the bolt or anything else.

The only problem Ive had with a stock wheel is with BFG's. The last two sets I had splitaround the sidewall. When running low psi they would buldge so much they split. Thats why i dont recommend 315 BFG's on a stock wheel anymore. Nittos will be fine on a stock wheel. Regular street tire 315's will be fine. IMO and experoence. Hope this helps you mkae up your mind.

If you want some advice for what looks the best and works the best. Get some AFS 10.5" stock wheels and some 315 BFG's with an 1/8" spacer and shaved IRS bolt. LOL!!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Do I need to remove the IRS bolts in any event running a 315?
If you put Sumitomo 315s on stock wheels, you will have no clearance problems. You won't need spacers and you won't have to do anything to the IRS bolt heads.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Sumitomos have the smallest section width of any street tire 315. You can mount them on the factory wheels. It will bulge some, but for most people it's not too bad.

Expect it to look very similar to what a Nitto 315 looks like on a factory wheel...

315_Nittos.jpg

I wouldn't want to try that with a Goodyear or BFG 315, but you should be OK with a Sumitomo.

edit - Sumitomos aren't going to get you any more traction than your factory tires...so be aware of that.

Yes .,., superhomo's suck, and are wider than nitto's of the same size

Stangfreek

Premium Unleaded Member
Established Member
Please stay away from the Sumi's...you will not be happy with them, I promise. My car came with 285 Sumi's on the back, and I did my best to wear them out asap. Took me a little over a year, and I just put Potenza Pole Position's on there. If I would have known it would make the level of difference it does, I would have thrown the crap tires away a year ago.

As an example, with the Sumi's I couldn't go 100% throttle until 3rd gear, and they would still be spinning in third at 100% throttle. With the Bridgestones, I can throttle out at 75% in first gear, and go full throttle in second with little slip. The difference is immense. My car is a I/E, pulley, tune, and CAI Cobra.

I promise you will regret getting those tires.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
i have sumis on my car.... yea they suck. but for what they cost you can afford to spinn um lol.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
me to. my buddy and I had a burn out contest last night. He has an 03 or 04 gt with gears and bolt ons. Its a good running car. But I went first. I started in first went to second held the brake a lil and left some rubber just about 800ft long just walking it up the street lol. He did not even try lol.

vtsteevo

Established Member
Is this true for a lowered car as well? I have H&R Race springs with Stock Isos. Let me know what you guys think. I need to order new tires, thanks.

If you put Sumitomo 315s on stock wheels, you will have no clearance problems. You won't need spacers and you won't have to do anything to the IRS bolt heads.

Users who are viewing this thread