315 Sumitomo on a 9" Rim?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Yes it's also true for a lowered car. But as they all said I'd stay away from the sumitomo's, they really are garbage!! I'd stick a 315 nitto drag on there, there are actually a couple sets for sale here in the market.....

2004silvercobra

Established Member
i dont know why u guys have so much problem with them, i have them and they spin ya just like any other tire or even a little less.. maybe we have different ones but the ones i have are actually a softer tire. tread wear is 160, lower the number the softer. stock are like 300...

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Just because the treadwear is low doesn't mean the tire's going to be sticky. That just means the compound will wear faster. Sumitomo's are not the kind of tire I'd recommend for a 500+ hp car, a tire that can't remotely get traction with that kind of power is just dangerous.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have 10th Anniversary rims and want to put a 315 out back, but my rims are only 17x9....will it fit? looking at 315-35-17 HRZ. Any rub with 315's with IRS?

Not being able to get 10th Anniv rims in 17x10 is a seperate rant! :(

I had those tire.,., get ready for some spinage :( .,. I had my rear wheels widend to 11 in they fit like stock at that width.,,. not sure if they would fit on a 9 :shrug: be a tight fit if they did

vtsteevo

Established Member
I definetely see everyone's concern about not having enough traction for this car with the Sumis. Mine is a daily driver in all conditions, including snow/rain, plus I don't want to replace these tires every 5K. Once I get some extra money i'll buy a set of rims and Nittos for spring/summer only :beer:

Yes it's also true for a lowered car. But as they all said I'd stay away from the sumitomo's, they really are garbage!! I'd stick a 315 nitto drag on there, there are actually a couple sets for sale here in the market.....

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The nittos actually last a good while. Mine were my DD tire for about a year, during which time I beat on them on the street and had 45 track passes on them. I didn't take it easy on them and they lasted me over 7K miles, I'm sure I could have gotten 9-10K without the track passes.

yellowgt02

Established Member
I have 315 sumi homos on the stock rim right now.

Sumitomo FTL

Nittos go on next week.

Here is a pic:
VegasTrip026.jpg

SVT543of2003

Established Member
Sumitomos have the smallest section width of any street tire 315. You can mount them on the factory wheels. It will bulge some, but for most people it's not too bad.

Expect it to look very similar to what a Nitto 315 looks like on a factory wheel...

315_Nittos.jpg

I wouldn't want to try that with a Goodyear or BFG 315, but you should be OK with a Sumitomo.

edit - Sumitomos aren't going to get you any more traction than your factory tires...so be aware of that.

^^^^^^^^^ So I finally got around to ordering these Nitto 555's today on-line from discounttiredirect.com found them on here actually, pretty good price, they should be here Monday. I'm stoked. Wanted to talk to Matt, but he's out until next week, so hopefully all goes well.

Just wondering, according to that pick they should fit fine, but wondering if I should run a hub centric spacer too? Any comments? Also, who sells the spacers?

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
A 315 nitto drag is like a 285 - safe for stock wheel and don’t require any spacers or bolt shaving

275 Mickey - safe
275 Hoosier -safe

Do not get spacers unless you have a 10.5” wheel with a real 315/335 tire. Spacers can hurt and break wheel studs! Even bearings.

Last edited:

SVT543of2003

Established Member
A 315 nitto drag is like a 285 - safe for stock wheel and don’t require any spacers or bolt shaving

275 Mickey - safe
275 Hoosier -safe

Do not get spacers unless you have a 10.5” wheel with a real 315/335 tire. Spacers can hurt and break wheel studs! Even bearings.

Cool Thanks! I don't like spacers either.

Users who are viewing this thread