Original Ford Alternator has been tested...results are in...drumroll

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Doesn't look good!
Guys,
Took the car by Autozone. The stock Ford alternator at 52,000 miles read the following:

Ford Battery with car off= 12.60V (Is this acceptable, as I know the battery is about 3 years old?:shrug:)

Car idling = 12.37 idling :dw:

From my research, with the car off, I should get around 12-13 volts. And after I start the car up and check the battery again with the engine running. I should get 13-14 volts. I saw nochange in voltage, so I assume my alternator is no good. Here come's a new Ford Alternator, should the battery be replaced as well? Or is it acceptable :shrug:

Any other values I need to confirm?
Thanks guys

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
to be safe autozone can charge your battery for free. With the specs you mentioned that alternator is toast. Dont buy the alt at autozone though...their alt's for cobra suck. I changed one for someone and it was bad right out of the box. The second one was fine but i had to do the labor twice. At that time , giving 03 cobra info . it was the wrong part. I told them to look up a 01 cobra and it was the correct one for the 03. They were mixing up some parts for the mach 1 as well. im not sure if they solved that problem yet , it was a year and a half ago. i hope this info helps.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
to be safe autozone can charge your battery for free. With the specs you mentioned that alternator is toast. Dont buy the alt at autozone though...their alt's for cobra suck. I changed one for someone and it was bad right out of the box. The second one was fine but i had to do the labor twice. At that time , giving 03 cobra info . it was the wrong part. I told them to look up a 01 cobra and it was the correct one for the 03. They were mixing up some parts for the mach 1 as well. im not sure if they solved that problem yet , it was a year and a half ago. i hope this info helps.

Thanks for the input:rockon:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
12.6 volts on the battery with the engine off is normal. However once you fire it up you should be reading higher. I usually get 13.8 volts or so. Sounds like that alternator is no good.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks,
I thought the battery was fine too...
Just ordered a Remanufactured Ford Alternator from Mike at Tousely Ford...
Thanks guys for the input!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
my stocker alt went out around the 60 - 65k mark...my freakin battery went out at the same time from all of the strain/draining the dead alt put on it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What kind of battery you have now Joe?As you well know batteries don`t usually last more than 3 years down here due to the heat.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have the stock replacement. Motorcraft which is a few years old. What is your battery voltage?

steve5575

Established Member
What kind of battery you have now Joe?As you well know batteries don`t usually last more than 3 years down here due to the heat.

Knock on wood. I've had my red top Optima for 6 years now in this central Texas heat. I'm on my 4 alternator also (I've run the battery DEAD several times). These Optima's can take a beating.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Pretty sure it`s around 13.8 at idle.I`ll check when I get home to see what it is off,then running.My battery is about 3 months old.
Report back, this would be great:rockon:
Perhaps one with your ac and light on as well

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My Factory alt just went out at 63.xxx . Tested as having 1 bad diode. It cost 81 dollars after tax to have it rebiult localy. Cars still on blocks for other work so no miles on it yet.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Factory alt just went out at 63.xxx . Tested as having 1 bad diode. It cost 81 dollars after tax to have it rebiult localy. Cars still on blocks for other work so no miles on it yet.

I hope you have better luck than most do with rebuilt alternators. Rebuilding is not generally recommended. Be sure you have a good warranty because you might need it. I believe the best options for replacing bad alternators are a new Ford alternator or a Start 'N Charge. I hope you fare well with yours. :thumbsup:

03cobrah

Established Member
just fyi don't buy the autozone alts they suck i had replaced mine 3 times!! just get a start n charge and never look back

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
just fyi don't buy the autozone alts they suck i had replaced mine 3 times!! just get a start n charge and never look back

Start-n-Charge aren't available b/c his shop burnt down...
I went with a Reman Ford one

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
13.8 while running, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, esspecially when you fan comes on. Get a aeroforce gauge, one of my best investments so far.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Got side tracked yesterday afternoon Joe,better late than never.
12.8 car off
14.2 car running
14.0 car running with a/c,lights and radio on

Users who are viewing this thread