Thanks Brad...very weird...
This morning, I bought a Voltage Meter and got the following results:
Battery with car off = 12.4
Battery with car off and HIDs on = 11.95
Car idling = 13.8
Car idling with HIDs on = 13.4
Car idling with A/C/fan on = 12.05
Car idling with A/C/fan and HIDs = 12.20

My conclusion is that when I was testing my alternator yesterday at Autozone there machine is a little off, but I feel my alternator is not working to it's full potential, in other words, on its last legs...
It's amazing how much the HIDs lower the voltage and especially the A/C/fan, I would like to know just for shits/gigs what the voltage is with car on or off with regular, non HID lights. It seems these HIDs really use up a lot of power...

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Battery with car off = 12.4
Battery with car off and HIDs on = 11.95
Car idling = 13.8
Car idling with HIDs on = 13.4
Car idling with A/C/fan and HIDs = 12.20

My conclusion is that when I was testing my alternator yesterday at Autozone there machine is a little off, but I feel my alternator is not working to it's full potential, in other words, on its last legs...
It's amazing how much the HIDs lower the voltage and especially the A/C/fan, I would like to know just for shits/gigs what the voltage is with car on or off with regular, non HID lights. It seems these HIDs really use up a lot of power...

correct me if I am wrong...but wattage and power with HID's should be less than traditional halogen lights?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Got side tracked yesterday afternoon Joe,better late than never.

14.0 car running with a/c,lights and radio on

That sure looks like your alternator is not putting out as much as it should. Just based on what I see there.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
That sure looks like your alternator is not putting out as much as it should. Just based on what I see there.

I agree Malcolm, it would be interesting though for Brad to post up his results with the lights on and A/C off with the car running...would like to compare the HIDs to the Regular lights for shits and giggles...either way, can't wait to put the alternator in. I'm glad I didn't run my A/C at the track or at WOT, I could have gone terrible lean and Kaboom!, although I never run the A/C anyway, lol...
No WOT, until this is fixed!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Although at WOT the computer disengages a/c compressor but don't chance it lol.
It's crappy and raining on and off in KC right now but I may open up the garage door when I get home and fire it up and get some voltage readings for you too. Not sure my a/c will stay on long with the cooler weather but should be on long enough to get a reading for you.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I agree Malcolm, it would be interesting though for Brad to post up his results with the lights on and A/C off with the car running...would like to compare the HIDs to the Regular lights for shits and giggles...either way, can't wait to put the alternator in. I'm glad I didn't run my A/C at the track or at WOT, I could have gone terrible lean and Kaboom!, although I never run the A/C anyway, lol...
No WOT, until this is fixed!

Writing myself another note,lol.I`ll report back later.

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
Just chiming in...my alt is on the way out as well (4th or 5th one now...all new OEM too) and I've read just about every posting about alternators on this forum and I just wanted to give my .02: First, I'm not buying anymore Ford alt's, new or reman, period. Second, Autozone O'Reillys, etc. are out too. I could care less if they offer a lifetime warranty as my time, stress, and frustration with regard to replacing alt's are worth more to me than a lifetime warranty for a product that will most likely fail sooner than later. Third, I've been considering either a PA or Start N' Charge (leaning toward SN'C) but the other night I was reading a long post about alt's on here and surprisingly there were a few people stating that they were having similar trouble with their PA and SN'C units too! I've made a few posts in the past asking anyone if they had heard of or purchased an alt from Nation's High Amp Ford 3G, 4G & 6G Alternators, 200-300 amp Ford Alternators, Nations Starter & Alternator (just happened to come across their website), as they have been in business since 1930 and have dealt with '03 Cobras (according to them) in the past. Unfortunately, I have not received any replies from anyone here. Anyway, I'm not a shareholder or anything, but after speaking to "Butch" for a while and going over all the concerns we Cobra owners have with our alt's, it seems to me like they have a great, high quality product...apparently, far superior than PA and SN'C according to how they build the alt's and what components they use, i.e. all new parts, welding the proper areas rather than soldering, etc. Of course we discussed a lot of other aspects, but I'm sure you get the point. One thing I did learn about alt's that I didn't read about anywhere else in this forum is that rather than inquiring exclusively about peak alt rating's, i.e. 130amp (which apparently is only achieved under full load, not idling or cruising around) we should be asking these companies about what their alt is rated at, at IDLE SPEED. This is supposedly much more important for our day-to-day requirements than just knowing what our alt's peak output is. In any case, I just wanted to share this info with everyone as I'm just as frustrated with my alt as everyone else. Personally, I'm gonna bite the bullet and pay a bit more up front and purchase one of their units (200amp peak/110amp idle - I thought this is was a bit high but I was told the alt only makes what's needed/demanded, so it's better to have it and not need it than the opposite), upgrade the wire to 4 gauge, and HOPEFULLY be done with my alt woes for some time. I hope to install this thing in the next week or 2, so I'll keep you guys informed of the progress....I hope this wasn't too boring...good luck all! :)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'm just amazed at how many alternators some of you guys are going through. Do you guys know what is failing in them? are windings burning up? rectifiers or voltage regulators burning up? bearings failing? what's the weak link that keeps giving out?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Car off
001-2.jpg

Car running and lights on only,no a/c,radio,etc.
002-2.jpg

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
reading this thread just made me grab my voltmeter and run outside to test my battery and alternator. My battery test 12.6 volts with the car off and 14.48 with car running with lights and radio playing. I'm guess i'm good......for now....

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Just chiming in...my alt is on the way out as well (4th or 5th one now...all new OEM too) and I've read just about every posting about alternators on this forum and I just wanted to give my .02: First, I'm not buying anymore Ford alt's, new or reman, period. Second, Autozone O'Reillys, etc. are out too. I could care less if they offer a lifetime warranty as my time, stress, and frustration with regard to replacing alt's are worth more to me than a lifetime warranty for a product that will most likely fail sooner than later. Third, I've been considering either a PA or Start N' Charge (leaning toward SN'C) but the other night I was reading a long post about alt's on here and surprisingly there were a few people stating that they were having similar trouble with their PA and SN'C units too! I've made a few posts in the past asking anyone if they had heard of or purchased an alt from Nation's High Amp Ford 3G, 4G & 6G Alternators, 200-300 amp Ford Alternators, Nations Starter & Alternator (just happened to come across their website), as they have been in business since 1930 and have dealt with '03 Cobras (according to them) in the past. Unfortunately, I have not received any replies from anyone here. Anyway, I'm not a shareholder or anything, but after speaking to "Butch" for a while and going over all the concerns we Cobra owners have with our alt's, it seems to me like they have a great, high quality product...apparently, far superior than PA and SN'C according to how they build the alt's and what components they use, i.e. all new parts, welding the proper areas rather than soldering, etc. Of course we discussed a lot of other aspects, but I'm sure you get the point. One thing I did learn about alt's that I didn't read about anywhere else in this forum is that rather than inquiring exclusively about peak alt rating's, i.e. 130amp (which apparently is only achieved under full load, not idling or cruising around) we should be asking these companies about what their alt is rated at, at IDLE SPEED. This is supposedly much more important for our day-to-day requirements than just knowing what our alt's peak output is. In any case, I just wanted to share this info with everyone as I'm just as frustrated with my alt as everyone else. Personally, I'm gonna bite the bullet and pay a bit more up front and purchase one of their units (200amp peak/110amp idle - I thought this is was a bit high but I was told the alt only makes what's needed/demanded, so it's better to have it and not need it than the opposite), upgrade the wire to 4 gauge, and HOPEFULLY be done with my alt woes for some time. I hope to install this thing in the next week or 2, so I'll keep you guys informed of the progress....I hope this wasn't too boring...good luck all! :)

I like the sound of these.

It is disappointing to read about issues even with PA and SNC units.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the awesome pics Brad!
I got 13.0 running with lights and a/c off...no good, although I just drove on a 200 mile road trip. The old z71 is broken as well...
Should be fixed within a week, and will report back with new readings!!!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
reading this thread just made me grab my voltmeter and run outside to test my battery and alternator. My battery test 12.6 volts with the car off and 14.48 with car running with lights and radio playing. I'm guess i'm good......for now....

You are good...I'm gonna start checking mine every month, lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks for the awesome pics Brad!
I got 13.0 running with lights and a/c off...no good, although I just drove on a 200 mile road trip. The old z71 is broken as well...
Should be fixed within a week, and will report back with new readings!!!

That`s what this all about my friend.:beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got 12.55 battery.
14.4 idling
14.3 lights on
14.1 lights and a/c on

Later in the day I checked again
12.5 battery
14.3 idling
14.15 lights on
13.9 ~ 14.0 lights and a/c on

I wonder if my voltages are a little lower due to extra load? dual GT pumps, extra FPDM, four speed hut gauges, wideband draws a decent amount of power and what ever else.

My car is still on original factory battery and alternator.

Silverboost

Established Member
Did Jamie say when he hoped to be doing them again?

Jamie told me that he probably wouldn't be operational till the fall, but he is coming back.

OP...
I would replace that alternator asap or get it rebuilt. I would call around locally and ask them if they rebuild Ford 6G alternators. If they don't know what you are talking about hang up the phone. Also the new Ford rebuilt alternators are made in Mexico now so the quality is even worse.

Silverboost

Established Member
Did Jamie say when he hoped to be doing them again?

Jamie told me that he probably wouldn't be operational till the fall, but he is coming back.

OP...
I would replace that alternator asap or get it rebuilt. I would call around locally and ask them if they rebuild Ford 6G alternators. If they don't know what you are talking about hang up the phone. Also the new Ford rebuilt alternators are made in Mexico now so the quality is even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread