When i turn the steering wheel right...

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
I have an 03 cobra. When i turn the steering wheel right, i hear a click, then i go all the way to the left and i hear no click, then i go back to the right and i hear a click.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? I hope its nothing big. thanks for input

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Yep! Everybody has heard of that one. It is most likely the rack bushings. There is a TSB on it. The best fix is the aluminum rack bushings as a replacement/upgrade.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
it's kind of like a memo for service....not a recall

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Could this sound be coming from the Sway bar up front?

Possibly. Interesting things happen to front end noise when sway bar bushings fail. Here's what my passenger side sway bar end link bushings looked like after less than 50,000 miles and two open track events...

ImageShack.us]

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
I replaced the sway bar bushings, that was not it. I'm just going to go ahead and buy the MM Aluminum Bushings. Ill let you know if that solves it. Thanks everyone for the quick responds.

silverserpant

Established Member
On my oasis report the previous owner had the "click" in the right front. Dealership replaced the ball joint and no other repairs. I currently have no noise.

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Alright it looks like im going to buy all 3 fixes. I already put in new Sway Bar Bushings, now i'm thinking i should replace:

1) Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings - Are these the correct ones?
Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings, 1984-04 [MMST-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

2) Ball Joint Bushings - Are these the correct ones?
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_81_217&products_id=402

3) Tie Rod Ends - Where would i buy these? Maximum motorsports? if so which ones?

Hopefully replacing all three will get that creeking noise away and thus upgrade the steering.

Last edited:

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
Alright it looks like im going to buy all 3 fixes. I already put in new Sway Bar Bushings, now i'm thinking i should replace:

Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings, 1984-04 [MMST-7] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Ball Joint Dust Boots, 1994-04 [U-4] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

3) Tie Rod Ends - Where would i buy these? Maximum motorsports? if so which ones?

Hopefully replacing all three will get that creeking noise away and thus upgrade the steering.

Bump - Sorry i just need to know this so i can place my order. thanks

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
bump

Ball Joint Dust Boots, 1994-04 [U-4] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
bump

Do only the rack bushings!!!! Yes those are the right ones.

There is absolutely NO advantage to shotgunning this particular repair. Do only what is needed. and that is rack bushings.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
what kind of click is it? could it be coming from the turn signal apparatus or some other interior source? my experience with steering rack noises seem to be creaks and groans instead of sharp 'clicks'.

just throwing it out there.......

Mr. Bungle

Established Member
MM's site said that those bushings are not recommended for stock k-members. I take it it's ok to use?

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Yes, the MMST-7 steering rack bushings are the correct model for a stock k-member. They are NOT offset rack bushings.

The MMST-6 steering rack bushings are the offset models designed for an aftermarket k-member that has vertically relocated FCA pivots.

Users who are viewing this thread