Thinking of a 2004 Cobra... clear my doubts?

ForeignerCobra

Established Member
Hi guys I owned a gt35r turbocharged 2005 s2000 in Turkey, It made 520 whp or so, stock motor nothing much... handled amazing though.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pw4uXi8eo"]YouTube - Project01 FR kit S2000 turbo street runs[/nomedia]

here is the video of it

Now, Im moving to orlando and want something I cant find over here, so I was thinking of a terminator cobra, I love those cars but heres my questions:

1. How much PSI can it handle on a Whipple 2.3l stock? safely on 93 octane?

2. what would be the best supporting mods for the whipple, for a daily driver.

3. will it handle good on kw variant 3 coilovers and eibach sway bars?

4. Will it be faster than a Ferrari F458 Italia? My s2k easily pulled on a scuderia..

5. Now Im no ricer but I hate the steering wheel and shifter and seats of the cobra, can you put a 3 spoke wheel and recaro seats on it while retaining the horn?

6. does the interior rattle much? how is build quality... and Im not much of a drag racing guy, more of a street/rolling and road racing guy.. will I be satisfied?

Thanks again...I love the car but need views from someone who uses it for what i will

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Try the search button. It will help answer a lot of your questions. Just type in your subject and go.
or you can try the svtp forums at the top of the page as well good info in there
and of course, welcome to the jungle

jjscobra18

Established Member
Its a mustang it'll never be a european touring sedan, it's gonna rattle like spray paint can, its a crude american built muscle car. What it lacks in these depts it makes up for in raw power and sound. I think anyone here will tell you a smile always cracks on their face after that first 1-2 shift after starting it up. Not trying to discourage you just telling you what the car is not. Making the car handle better and making power is just some $$$$$$ away though. Hope this helps and someone else out there agrees with me. :shrug:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
They are loud, the interior creeks and rattles, the ride okish, they handle okish, the side mirror glass shakes on a lot of them, they can be a pain to shift, they are okish built cars. Simple they have there fair share of issues. Don't get me wrong I love my car to death but if your lookig for all that in a car that your going to just be roll racing on the street with... Buy a c6 z06 and put a blower or turbo on it. Remember these things were 30 some odd thousand new... It's not a euro sports car.

mrose75

Established Member
Let me add to my first post by saying, if you are looking for refinement you'll be disappointed. If you are looking for a car with tons of power and potential, but is rough around the edges, this is it. Throw some money at the suspension and it'll handle beautifully. Throw some under the hood and you'll have copious amounts of power. Pull on a Ferrari, totally possible with the right mods. It's more of a street brawler than a school trained fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

d4a3m2o1n

Banned
i would go with a vette - obviously that has nothing to do with what your asking but it seems that would a better car for what your goals are..

1. about 23-24 psi

2. theres a laundry list, but basically dual bearing idlers, diff brace, etc.

3. it will handle "good" but this is not the car to buy if you like cornering fast, especially coming from a s2000.. this is about the opposite

4. it will rape the ferrari

5. you can change out the interior fairly easily, but id re consider it.. the cobra driver seat has tons of adjustments, and i never understood why people change out the steering wheel.. why put an ugly, worse-than-stock quality steering wheel in there. i guess so you can remove it?

good luck - but the c6z06 is the car you should be buying.

ForeignerCobra

Established Member
I dont care much for creaking and build quality as long as its reliable and wont break a rod at me.... Im thinking stock motor 20 psi whipple 2.3... headers full exhaust and intake, tune injectors and dual walbro setup. thatll do I hope, and halfshafts etc, 3.73 gears, clutch flywheel shifter, bushings engine mounts coilovers from kw, the whole 9 yards, 12k worth of mods will do :) for a good all around daily driver, If it handles better than my dads mercedes s500 2005, with those mods I dont care and I certainly can handle the raw power of it..coming from an s2k which is one of the hardest to tame cars, even with that low torque when it was N/A it was tail happy powershifting 3rd to 4th, after the turbo it was even worse:)

If there is anyone in orlando on the forum would you guys mind giving me a shotgun ride so I can decide better?, I love this car I looked for it here but cant find it..

triblk6spd

Boost Everything!
Established Member
What is your budget? I would also say go with the boosted C6Z but the cost to do it right from the start is twice as much. I just bought my Cobra and have run into a few issues that would never have to be dealt with on the C6, however I am confident that once the issues are resolved I will be perfectly happy. Btw...seems to me that just based on pure weight and putting the power to the ground my Cobra would need at least another 100rwhp just to keep up with my C6Z.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Compound boost with E85 fuel, build it as a flex fuel and turn down the turbo when you can only get 93 octane.

Then it will be comparable power to weight from what you are used to.

Yet will still have the brutal raw low end torque that these cars are known for.

If you target this from the beginning it will cost much less than changing injectors and pumps later on to keep up with the increases in power mods.

This will still drive and idle the same as a stocker, which is not at all stumbley or finicky. You will find that certain parts break at certain levels, there are ways around some of that. Prep mods and support mods, it will become more clear as you search and read.

A straight turbo switch obviously has the highest power potential and could still be built for E85 but even small twins will lack the torque down low, and compound has both with only slightly less top end.

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
I'd recommend a Ford GT, but that is beyond your budget. For 25-30k you might even be able to find a cobra that already has twin turbos installed, IMHO hard to beat performance thresholds of pump gas w/ Turbo-induction (especially given you won't have much access to E85)

Users who are viewing this thread