Diagnose my engine KNOCK please...

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
My engine is knocking pretty damn loud, as soon as I crank it for starters. It seems to rev with the motor during the cold start then start to descend as the idle lowers. Ive went in to the passenger side valve cover because the sound initially came from that area. Everthing seemed in line to me and a few other buddies. Piston damaged, rod bearing, anything else I should look into? I searched and found that I could disconnect my fuel injector harness and rev the engine slightly, if the knock goes away then its rod knock or a spun bearing. Any insight is greatly appreciated, Thanks for reading.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My engine is knocking pretty damn loud, as soon as I crank it for starters. It seems to rev with the motor during the cold start then start to descend as the idle lowers. Ive went in to the passenger side valve cover because the sound initially came from that area. Everthing seemed in line to me and a few other buddies. Piston damaged, rod bearing, anything else I should look into? I searched and found that I could disconnect my fuel injector harness and rev the engine slightly, if the knock goes away then its rod knock or a spun bearing. Any insight is greatly appreciated, Thanks for reading.

Actually that will only tell you which cylinder is hurt, it could still be a piston or a rod bearing, they do sound a bit different though.

I would find a place that can perform a leak down test at this point. I suspect a hurt piston.

Anyone want to bet if it's #7?:shrug:

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Here you go fellas... I hope someone knows exactly what it is.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRVjB2TxIHU"]YouTube - 03 cobra knocking[/nomedia]

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Car has 49k miles.

BBK Lt's
H-pipe HF Cats Magnaflow CB
2.93 upper 2#lower
Accufab single blade

and a few other non-performance mods. I dont plan on anything more than a ported setup and POSSIBLY e-85. Im taking considerations at this point. This is not something I planned for obviously. I just want to make the best of what I can while im in the motor. MMR seems to be the company of choice as of late. Im not sure on a whole new engine, that sounds a bit expensive.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Im not sure on a whole new engine, that sounds a bit expensive.

Check around, hurt motors in general are expensive.

For these cars anything you do for a remedy is going to be a little expensive.

A Ford reman is a VERY reasonable price, and the warranty(on a non-pullied car) is 3/36!

If dollars are tight, I would seriously at least price one.

What part of town are you in?

Last edited:

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
I live on the far east end of town. La porte to be exact... I will likely look into every possibility. Im open to all sorts of stuff right now, hell I just want to get rolling again. Im fairly interested in the MMR shortblock 5.0 900s at the moment. We shall see fellas, thanks a bunch Jimmy.

1991gt

Established Member
run it with out the belt for a few seconds. Make sure its not an accesory. I had a horrible knocking sound just like that on my fox. Ended up my crank pulley was just a little loose. Had about a 1/16" play and was making a bad knocking noise. Worth a shot just to make sure.

04GTMustang

Established Member
This happened after WOT and then it cut out in the cold weather right? Scary as hell thank god mine didn't take a shit.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Running it without the belt is my next option but I THINK I can say its cylinder 3 already. It was hard to here good while inside the car. Yes this happened on a WOT pull, 2-3rd at the top. Im gonna take another look at my valve springs just in case as well. I need to disconnect the fuel harness on injector 3 also...we'll see. In a funny way im kind of hoping its a piston, just so I can have a reason to shoot for a stroker 5.0 mmr shortblock as long as the heads are fine.

Last edited:

cobrakon

Established Member
did you have anymore luck diagnosing the problem. that video sounds pretty bad.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Running it without the belt is my next option but I THINK I can say its cylinder 3 already. It was hard to here good while inside the car. Yes this happened on a WOT pull, 2-3rd at the top. Im gonna take another look at my valve springs just in case as well. I need to disconnect the fuel harness on injector 3 also...we'll see. In a funny way im kind of hoping its a piston, just so I can have a reason to shoot for a stroker 5.0 mmr shortblock. So long as the longblock is fine.

Also make sure you perform good engine forensics and find and correct what ever caused it.

It's most likely the result of a detonation event.
Not only is detonation destructive in and of itself, to even forged pistons, it also over heats them RAPIDLY and they will grow out into the walls, ripping off skirt coating, ring lands, and the rings themselves can also grow out onto the walls and rip out of the piston.

Multiple possibilities if that is the case.

Pegged MAF lean out, Maxed pumps lean out, Over heated heads with hot spots detonation, too much timing (for the ECTs) and for the fuel octane rating, also a flawed tune which might allow a lean out.

The tune can be dead on the money and ask for a certain amount of fuel, but if the MAF pegged the PCM can't ask for the correct fuel, or if the pumps are maxed the fuel can't keep up with the air.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
wow thats WAY louder than mine....but mine has to be a bottom end ....ive had the heads off and rebuilt .....even thought it is LOUDER here, it does sound similar to mine. could it be a wrist pin?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I live on the far east end of town. La porte to be exact... I will likely look into every possibility. Im open to all sorts of stuff right now, hell I just want to get rolling again. Im fairly interested in the MMR shortblock 5.0 900s at the moment. We shall see fellas, thanks a bunch Jimmy.

Did you buy this car a couple years ago from a guy named Marco? Just wondering if that's his old car.

Users who are viewing this thread