Diagnose my engine KNOCK please...

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Check around, hurt motors in general are expensive.

For these cars anything you do for a remedy is going to be a little expensive.

A Ford reman is a VERY reasonable price, and the warranty(on a non-pullied car) is 3/36!

If dollars are tight, I would seriously at least price one.

What part of town are you in?

Ford engines now carry a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. This is not the case for the Ford racing engines which now carry a 12 month 12k miles warranty.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Also make sure you perform good engine forensics and find and correct what ever caused it.

It's most likely the result of a detonation event.
Not only is detonation destructive in and of itself, to even forged pistons, it also over heats them RAPIDLY and they will grow out into the walls, ripping off skirt coating, ring lands, and the rings themselves can also grow out onto the walls and rip out of the piston.

Multiple possibilities if that is the case.

Pegged MAF lean out, Maxed pumps lean out, Over heated heads with hot spots detonation, too much timing (for the ECTs) and for the fuel octane rating, also a flawed tune which might allow a lean out.

The tune can be dead on the money and ask for a certain amount of fuel, but if the MAF pegged the PCM can't ask for the correct fuel, or if the pumps are maxed the fuel can't keep up with the air.

That is exactly my concern. Im more worried about the cause at this point. Thanks for the detailed info Jimmy

Did you buy this car a couple years ago from a guy named Marco? Just wondering if that's his old car.

Negative, I bought it this past August from a guy named Alex.

did you have anymore luck diagnosing the problem. that video sounds pretty bad.

Not yet, hopefully very very soon. I have to tow the car from place to place, adds up really fast!

mysterio

Established Member
Good luck and keep us posted. We're all interested in both the cause, and the remedy.

haskett

Established Member
I developed an engine knock at TWS in March. I spent a bunch of time trying to diagnose it with the engine in the car and found nothing. Most of the guesses provided, from very knowledgeable persons, were wrong. After pulling the engine and doing a teardown, it was obvious that piston #2 was slagged. I suspect a fuel injector, so I had Steig clean and tune them. Waiting on machine shop to finish the crank so I can put the engine back together.

Lesson learned: learn what you cam with the engine in the car, but you'll get to a point where the best thing you can do is pull and teardown.

Last edited:

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
I developed an engine knock at TWS in March. I spent a bunch of time trying to diagnose it with the engine in the car and found nothing. Most of the guesses provided, from very knowledgeable persons, were wrong. After pulling the engine and doing a teardown, it was obvious that piston #2 was slagged. I suspect a fuel injector, so I had Steig clean and tune them. Waiting on machine shop to finish the crank so I can put the engine back together.

Lesson learned: learn what you cam with the engine in the car, but you'll get to a point where the best thing you can do is pull and teardown.

So you tried everything from removing the belt to spark plugs? You think an injector cause piston #2 issues? I agree, I think it may just have to come out and be torn apart.

haskett

Established Member
So you tried everything from removing the belt to spark plugs? You think an injector cause piston #2 issues? I agree, I think it may just have to come out and be torn apart.

I didn't know about the belt trick, but I tried the injectors, pulled the plugs, took off the valve cover, and also tested the oil pressure.

Do what's easy, but unless you get lucky, the engine is coming out eventually.

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
I didn't know about the belt trick, but I tried the injectors, pulled the plugs, took off the valve cover, and also tested the oil pressure.

Do what's easy, but unless you get lucky, the engine is coming out eventually.

Sounds good bro, I just got quoted 1500 to pull the motor, install a new shortblock that I would provide and put her back in. I will let everyone know what it was as soon as I can. Hopefully this doesnt take me all winter...

Users who are viewing this thread