Realistic:top speed

03yellow

Established Member
What do you think a 500rwhp Cobra could do Top speed with the factory gear, suspension and body?
I Hope this is a little different than a :how fast did you go thread,,,, I don't want to start that and get into trouble. I've done enough of that. I'm On my best behavior Jimmy.
At what point would the body start to float or become unsafe?

GodStang

Established Member
Stock Bodied cobras have gone over 220mprh so it would just be what stock gears and 500rwhp get it.

Ironhand

Banned
Well with a 2.8 upper and ported blower I got to 174, the interesting thing about that is it quickly got to 140-150 mph. At 155-160 its like hitting a wall and with lowering springs the car didn't start to float until that area. The issue is that at 160+ you are over 6k with an eaton and it creeps up slowly. At 170ish your around 6700rpm. With the rev limiter set at 6500rpm your realistically governed down to 165 or so. And no, going into 6th isn't suggested. That one run cost me a motor and literally melted the ground strap off of several of the spark plugs.

Ironhand

Banned
what about the no boost in 5th or 6th gear because of piston wall clearance issue?

That is a problem yes. However with a factory eaton overspun its even worse because you have to spend so much time at wot it exaggerates that PTW issue. With a more efficient blower its not as bad because they are pushing colder boosted air into the motor and your spending less time at WOT.

03yellow

Established Member
So we are Limited more by gearing than anything.
Wonder what gear (6th?)the vetts are getting to top speed?
ZO6 rear end gear ?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
HEY IRONHAND ! going into 6th isn't suggested. That one run cost me a motor and literally melted the ground strap off of several of the spark plugs.

what did your motor do when ..it cost you a motor ?

i went 162 in my vert. car acting up ever since!
and yes to was getting swayee!

Ironhand

Banned
HEY IRONHAND ! going into 6th isn't suggested. That one run cost me a motor and literally melted the ground strap off of several of the spark plugs.

what did your motor do when ..it cost you a motor ?

i went 162 in my vert. car acting up ever since!
and yes to was getting swayee!

It was a cold night with me and two larger passengers in the car. I walked through 3rd then went wot all the way through 4th and 5th. I took the car to around 6800 in 5th gear. Then it stopped pulling, so I let out. I didn't notice anything until I dropped my passengers off and heard the car knocking or ticking. She seemed down on power and ran like garbage. Upon further inspection some of the ground straps on the plugs were melted off. After replacing plugs it still ran the same even with the sound still present.

I also noticed coolant leaking into the head on #8 cylinder. So I'm guessing it ate Atleast one head gasket and spun some bearings or the like. As well as getting what was left of the plugs down into the cylinders, that may have needed a new block and a lot of work. So I never took the motor apart. I sold the car, paid off the note, and cut my losses. That's why I'm building this cobra a lot different.

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Check CobraBob's FAQ for top speed questions. The short version is that hard pulls in 5th gear are risky.

If you aren't worried about your motor, I'd bet 500 HP would get you to 180 if you had 4.30s or 4.10s in the rear to make 6th gear (more) usable at those speeds.

Ironhand

Banned
Check CobraBob's FAQ for top speed questions. The short version is that hard pulls in 5th gear are risky.

If you aren't worried about your motor, I'd bet 500 HP would get you to 180 if you had 4.30s or 4.10s in the rear to make 6th gear (more) usable at those speeds.

3.27s and 5th gear will put alot less stress on the motor. Further into overdrive you go the higher the load(5th vs. 6th)

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Yeah - that would probably be better, although a 6th+4.30s is about the same (ratio-wise) as 5th+3.27s.

The load would be about the same, wouldn't it?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
500 hp.. in a 100% stock body, stock ride height car.. you'll hit about 185 then emulate a 747.. when you start coming off the road.. (there's a GOOD reason the 00 Cobra R has a front air splitter and rear wing, it holds it down to the road, also the 00 Cobra R with 385 hp would do 175 without the airsplitter/wing 170 with them top end)

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
When you think about it, that's pretty amazing. These cars are not the expensive, and modding them to 500HP is cheap, yet, top end, they'll run with cars that are much more expensive.

Ryushin

Established Member
178 mph on the autobahn:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAxz_AFelbQ"]YouTube - german autobahn blast in 03 cobra 178mph[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZXa_hRtT9M"]YouTube - german autobahn blast in 03 cobra 178mph ON BOARD[/nomedia]

From what I remember reading, this cobra just had a pulley, otherwise it was stock.

Digital

Established Member
500 hp.. in a 100% stock body, stock ride height car.. you'll hit about 185 then emulate a 747.. when you start coming off the road.. (there's a GOOD reason the 00 Cobra R has a front air splitter and rear wing, it holds it down to the road, also the 00 Cobra R with 385 hp would do 175 without the airsplitter/wing 170 with them top end)

I've had mine over 185 with the stock body. Not stock suspension though. It sucked really low to the ground at those speeds and was very nimble. I even let go of the wheel once and it went straight no problem. But you're right, a bump and you do cart wheels.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Too fast for my blood. Going that fast, you sneeze wrong and they'll be picking up pieces of your body parts.

Users who are viewing this thread