Realistic:top speed

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Well I dont know how fast I was going but on a very long 6 lane straight road in the city I ran down a c5 z06. I pegged the speedo and was 2 cars ahead of him when I let off in 5th gear at 5300 rpm. I have a mach 1 tho and not a cobra. I was surprised at how stable the car felt because I didnt even realize I was going that fast till I looked down as I was letting off.

With that in mind I will never do it again...........unless im on a mile track or something. Way too dangerous on a public road even tho there were no other cars and it was like 1 in the morning.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What do you think a 500rwhp Cobra could do Top speed with the factory gear, suspension and body?
I Hope this is a little different than a :how fast did you go thread,,,, I don't want to start that and get into trouble. I've done enough of that. I'm On my best behavior Jimmy.
At what point would the body start to float or become unsafe?

Carlos(racebroncoII) has done several mile events and has posted some helpful info in his threads. He is mid 500s with a GT500 TVS blower and a Teksid block but I believe stock pistons. Obviously during the build if he decided to hone more piston to wall clearance he could have easily done that.
I know he went back to 3.55s from 4.10s just for better gearing at mile events.
He went pretty fast, just under 180 by a little bit if I remember correctly.

He uses a heavily vented road race style hood that helps front down force as well as cooling.

A stock bodied Cobra is going to start feeling a little light around 155 -160 but it is not dangerously light if you are at a closed circuit doing a mile event.

As mentioned in controlled conditions stock bodied slightly lowered Cobras have safely gone over 202 in the mile.

I would have to say though that trying that on the street, and with a car not prepped for it, would be an incredibly BAD idea.

At 140 at TWS my car did not feel light in the front at all.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
It was a cold night with me and two larger passengers in the car. I walked through 3rd then went wot all the way through 4th and 5th. I took the car to around 6800 in 5th gear. Then it stopped pulling, so I let out. I didn't notice anything until I dropped my passengers off and heard the car knocking or ticking. She seemed down on power and ran like garbage. Upon further inspection some of the ground straps on the plugs were melted off. After replacing plugs it still ran the same even with the sound still present.

I also noticed coolant leaking into the head on #8 cylinder. So I'm guessing it ate Atleast one head gasket and spun some bearings or the like. As well as getting what was left of the plugs down into the cylinders, that may have needed a new block and a lot of work. So I never took the motor apart. I sold the car, paid off the note, and cut my losses. That's why I'm building this cobra a lot different.
thanks ,that sounds just like my car

Users who are viewing this thread