Should I get an 03 or 04 cobra?

FordSVT2010

Established Member
Okay, I am confused. I really want a torch red cobra very badly. I really love the torch red 10th anniversary 03 cobra, however, I feel like I should get an 04 since I've been told that the 03s had head problems, including the 10th anniversary ones. I was just hoping to get different opinions on it seeing as I want to buy one within a few months. I'll appreciate any help.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, I am confused. I really want a torch red cobra very badly. I really love the torch red 10th anniversary 03 cobra, however, I feel like I should get an 04 since I've been told that the 03s had head problems, including the 10th anniversary ones. I was just hoping to get different opinions on it seeing as I want to buy one within a few months. I'll appreciate any help.

I was in the same situation less than a year ago. I was set on getting an 04. But then I found one exactly what I wanted color/mileage, basically everything. It was less than 3hrs away! I figured I'd have to go half way across the country!

But really 04 can have the same head "tick" problems, not just the 03's. The new revised heads didn't come out until like jan 2005.:beer:

FordSVT2010

Established Member
That's what I meant to say, the head problem was the "tick" it made. I was told that it was an 800-900 dollar job just to get the problem fixed. I just can't get over the 03 torch red 10th anniversary though. They look so fine, besides the mystichrome ones. So basically, they all had the tick?

sonicblew

Established Member
I've had four 2003 cobras. one with 30k mi, 15k mi, 55k mi 10th anniv edition, and the one now with 6k mi. ALL of them have been tick free and i had zero issues with each of them. One was stock, two were pullied with the regular bolt ons and my current cobra is a Whippled full bolt on car. Just check it over really well and thats about all you can do. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's not just the head tick which the 05 updates heads are also susceptible to. The 03 and early 04's have 4 thread sparkplug holes. The late 04 have 9. For me this is a bigger issue then the head tick and is more likely to give you problems.

The 03's have grey seat inserts which dirty easier. The 04's are black. The 03's have black door key bezels, the 04's are silver.

It's always better to get the later model over the early models. There are always teething problems when something as complex as a car goes into production. They make changes as those problems are exposed and some you or I will never know about.

Keep in mind red oxidizes when exposed to sun light over time and turns into a dull orange. Cops are also more keen to red cars when they are on the lookout for infractions. Black looks sinister but the hides the lines of the car. Silver has reduced coefficient of friction, indicates the driver is of a higher level of intelligence, attracts the attention of women and is more intimidating to an opponent at a stop light. In your case I think you should get sonic blue.

FordSVT2010

Established Member
Silver? haha. I don't really like the sliver cobras at all, so how could girls like those more than any other color? I don't think sonic blue looks bad. Either that, TR, or mystichrome is on my list really. The 10th ann. has always been my favorite, but are very hard to find. I don't want a cobra for a DD, I just want it for show. I don't rag or molest my cars, however, I haven't really owned anything with power. Just saying that when I get a cobra, I wouldn't kill it. I drive a red v6 mustang now, so I now exactly what you mean about the cop situation. So basically it doesn't really matter, but the newer models are worse than the older ones? Or perhaps i misunderstood what you meant by that.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
...Just get the Cobra that best fits your price range!!! ...I've had my '03 DSG for over 5 years with zero problems (2 years with the '04 TR Cobra)

cobrasvt003

Established Member
it shouldnt matter what year it is I had an 03 sonic blue and currently a silver 04 didnt have a problem at all with the 03 but the 04 lets say burnt two pistons but on the other hand i wasnt as abusive on the 03 so just pick the car that you like the best and check it over thoroughly and you you should be fine

mrose75

Established Member
Silver has reduced coefficient of friction, indicates the driver is of a higher level of intelligence, attracts the attention of women and is more intimidating to an opponent at a stop light.

I'm pretty certain that is for Gray, Dark Shadow Gray Metallic specifically!!:rockon:

In all seriousness, check it out before you buy it and make sure it is in good shape. 03/04.... Doessn't matter. But, after being enlightened with the statement above, DSGs were only built in 03. You decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

derockgt

Established Member
get what you really want. i personally wanted a 04 , dont really know why. less were built in 04 i think like 56XX total. i waited and got what i really wanted. nice clean car with pretty low milage and not heavily modded

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've had four 2003 cobras. one with 30k mi, 15k mi, 55k mi 10th anniv edition, and the one now with 6k mi. ALL of them have been tick free and i had zero issues with each of them. One was stock, two were pullied with the regular bolt ons and my current cobra is a Whippled full bolt on car. Just check it over really well and thats about all you can do. :beer:

And most likely none of those 03s ever had a spark plug thread issue either.

Any 03/04 Cobra can develop the loose exhaust valve guide "tick issue".

However MOST DO NOT.

The only valid reason besides colors to prefer one year over the other...IMHO, is more spark plug threads in most 04s.

That's it.
So now you can pick you favorite color and get a good night's sleep with no nightmares about the tick any anything else.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
And just to mess your mind up even more....

In all her 9 spark plug thread GLORY! LOL!:banana::pepper::dancenana:

motivator05ede5cedad6c61ef99376296b.jpg

JimmysJewel.jpg

9150notch

Established Member
I just bought an '04 mystichrome and I love it!!! It's bone stock has low miles and no problems! Best color ever, IMO.

mrose75

Established Member
Lawnmower much? LOL!!

I'm really about to get a second set of wheels/tires because I abso-freaking-lutely love chrome replicas on these cars but can't let go of my SSRs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread