Should I get an 03 or 04 cobra?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well, there's really 3 versions of the Terminators.. the 1st build 03, the 2nd build 03's and the 04's.. the 2nd build 03's and and early 04's were practically the same car.. (very minor differences such as the head liner netting in the 03's)

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The "tick" issue (I actually prefer to call it a rattle) is not completely common. These engines are just ticky anyway - valve train, and especially the FRPS, so you have to get used to it. My '03 Aviator has 50,000 on it and my '03 Cobra has 18,000 on it with zero issues. If you do go for an '03, you can usually tell the "later" run models by the yellow coolant (and of course the build date!).

Good luck with your search - find one with the lowest miles you can. Lots on eBay, Craigslist, and AutoTrader.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops, forgot to add that the "early" '03 production was from May 8 - Sep 29, '02.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Silver? haha. I don't really like the sliver cobras at all, so how could girls like those more than any other color? I don't think sonic blue looks bad. Either that, TR, or mystichrome is on my list really. The 10th ann. has always been my favorite, but are very hard to find. I don't want a cobra for a DD, I just want it for show. I don't rag or molest my cars, however, I haven't really owned anything with power. Just saying that when I get a cobra, I wouldn't kill it. I drive a red v6 mustang now, so I now exactly what you mean about the cop situation. So basically it doesn't really matter, but the newer models are worse than the older ones? Or perhaps i misunderstood what you meant by that.

Your dead to me..... LOL

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^LOL. I really like silver. But everyone has there own favorite color! I love Redfire, hence why I bought one, but many don't like that color.

red351wcobra

Established Member
1. Everyone knows 03's are faster :rockon:
2. Torch Red is the Sexiest color :dancenana:

Sorry couldn't resist. I bought in August 2002, she had 2 miles on the OD. Haven't had a single problem except a pesky alternator going out. These are great cars to own..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another variable to toss into the fire. Price/mileage/condition. If I wanted an '04 Cobra but found an '03 with super low miles, superb condition and a great price.....I'd jump on that '03. :)

01trublue cobra

Established Member
It's not just the head tick which the 05 updates heads are also susceptible to. The 03 and early 04's have 4 thread sparkplug holes. The late 04 have 9. For me this is a bigger issue then the head tick and is more likely to give you problems.

The 03's have grey seat inserts which dirty easier. The 04's are black. The 03's have black door key bezels, the 04's are silver.

It's always better to get the later model over the early models. There are always teething problems when something as complex as a car goes into production. They make changes as those problems are exposed and some you or I will never know about.

Keep in mind red oxidizes when exposed to sun light over time and turns into a dull orange. Cops are also more keen to red cars when they are on the lookout for infractions. Black looks sinister but the hides the lines of the car. Silver has reduced coefficient of friction, indicates the driver is of a higher level of intelligence, attracts the attention of women and is more intimidating to an opponent at a stop light. In your case I think you should get sonic blue.

How about Competition Orange!!!!!!!!!!!!

cobrajma

heh,heh, he said "member"
Established Member
Have had 2 redfire 03 cobra's. First was a coupe build 12/10/02...spun a cam gear, bent the cam, broke all the tensioners and guides, snapped both timing chains on the driver side, bent 2 valves, and smashed a piston. All this happening without ever leaving my driveway. Parked it that night after work and never started again after that. Second is my convertible, build 05/03/03...no issues whatsoever...love them both, wouldn't have anything instead of a cobra!

Ironhand

Banned
Wheres Jake when you need him...?

Silver is the fastest Eaton only car.... Actually with Ibite03 that makes the top 2 Cobras silver......

03SVTBEAST

PRICELESS
Established Member
Comp Orange is just a Torch Red car that has languished out in the dealers lot exposed to the sun too long :-D

Come on now! Be nice! haha. I have had a 03 and currently have a 04 and never had problems out of any of them. My 03 had 60k miles with zero problems. My 04 has 10k miles and zero problems. I think you will be fine either year.

VincodeY

Established Member
Actually many of us do.:-D

Us, maybe. "People" don't.

OP, Get an 03. We have the cool net so you have a quick handy place to put your insurance card. We also have the better seats as the darker ones show dirt more. 03's are iconic while 04's are just playing second fiddle. :beer::poke::-D

(hopefully the 04 guys catch my jest)

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Us, maybe. "People" don't.

OP, Get an 03. We have the cool net so you have a quick handy place to put your insurance card. We also have the better seats as the darker ones show dirt more. 03's are iconic while 04's are just playing second fiddle. :beer::poke::-D

(hopefully the 04 guys catch my jest)

:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread