3.55 or 3.73's

greengt88

Established Member
Wondering what most of you are using, getting ready to do detroit true trac, and wondering which ones to go with. Mods in my sig. i plan on either ported eaton or 2.3 whipple in the next 6-12mos. Opinions please, and yes i searched.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
....I thought about this myself! ...Stick with the 3.55's! ...You really do not want more then a 3.55 gear with a Whipple!

greengt88

Established Member
gotcha, i am running 3.55's now w/ upper only eaton. i fig. the 3.73's would give me alittle more snap for now. i gotta buy new gears either way, i just got ahold of a brand new center section and i'm gonna set it up now so it's done when i go to do the bushings. Should make it less time consuming. gears are the same price from summit $149 for either set.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Why do you need new gears? ...I would only buy the FRPP Gears (if you need them) ... and get a 8.8" bearing kit! :)

greengt88

Established Member
which bearing kit should i use?, FRPP sells 4 diff. ones. i need gears so i can pre-setup the whole center section, and wont have the down time of rebuilding it when the full tilt kit goes in. just drop the subframe do the bushings and swap center sections.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
depends really
what do you use the car for (street/track/combo....)
how much boost will you run the whipple at
will you spray the eaton?

btw: your sig is absurd

greengt88

Established Member
the car is a daily driver 22mi to work and back mostly highway, then groceries/errands on weekends. i do make a 3k mi road trip once a year also. Why is my sig. absurd? i do plan to do a few track events, and maybe down the strip a few times to see what it does in june. Whipple 17-19lbs. Havent decided on spray with port yet. Trying to accomplish bushingkit/rear and atleast port by june, whipple depending how funds are.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
this was done at around 4500' DA.....it's fast, but quite a bit faster at sea level. i'll have a vid of that in March from TX2K11

[youtube_browser]TOBpwWAoNvc[/youtube_browser]

greengt88

Established Member
thought about 3.27's also. probably a bad move with stock or ported blower, i'd keep the 3.55's if i went with the 3.73's just in case. i can always change them later.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member

greengt88

Established Member
nice, i think i need bbk headers and o/r x pipe now too, sounds amazing. sounds like a jet on deceleration. pretty awesome man.

greengt88

Established Member
i'd like to stick with one of frpp's kits. i know i don't need the axle seals, they make a special bearing/seal kit specifically for IRS. any part #'s would be awesome. gonna get everything from Summit. working on getting another IRS subframe and control arms, basically wanna build a whole nother IRS drop mine out and install newly rebuilt one with all the goodies.

greengt88

Established Member
i just bought M-4010-A88. ordering Detroit True Trac, Gears and install kit tonight, going to bank tomorrow then ordering FTBR kit. still searching for spare IRS.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
depends really
what do you use the car for (street/track/combo....)
how much boost will you run the whipple at
will you spray the eaton?
btw: your sig is absurd

THIS.:-D LOL Tony!:rollseyes

3.73 is nice open track gear depending on the tracks. Really though once stock power has been exceeded with twin screw power even for open track 3.55s are plenty. We don't use 5th unless we are trying to cool the car down.
If you don't know the length of the straights you will be using, you don't want to hit the rev limiter in 4th. I would stay 3.55s until you know for sure it's not enough gear.

Yeah the sig is somewhat humorous with significantly more detail than needed.

I use a link for my mods, if you want all that info kept I would drop the font to the smallest and try to tighten it up where you can.

greengt88

Established Member
i like to have all the stuff listed, it helps others and gives people ideas or becomes a grounds for a new topic or conversation.

mach1033

Established Member
i just bought M-4010-A88. ordering Detroit True Trac, Gears and install kit tonight, going to bank tomorrow then ordering FTBR kit. still searching for spare IRS.

Are you looking to buy an IRS? I know someone here that just went to a SRA in his 03 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread