Friends just dont understand!!

svtscott01

Established Member
Is there anything wrong with liking the viceral feel of power in an admittedly basic vehicle? I love my cobra but I am constanly getting flak from my friends who are into the more "sophisticated" sports cars. I'm tired or hearing "my audi has all wheel drive and navi"(by the way his car also makes 450hp so its no dog) or "your car is fast but it's no porsche" Yeah he owns a porsche. Why dont these guys get it? Anybody else with eurotrash driving pals like these. I keep telling them to grab a pair and stop listening to what their 21 year old pre-madonna girlfriends think. Any comments?

wjk

Established Member
Ignorance, some people actually know stuff about cars. Others claim to know stuff about cars.

I run into these people all the time. "Mustangs suck, they are so slow and have tons of problems"... Thats because your ****** friend drives a POS 1996 6 cyl. Mustang which he drives into the ground and now your convinced every Mustang is a pile of shit.

I feel that this is a brief summary of how just about everyone who hates Mustangs has come to be. They know nothing about cars, but since they can never be wrong, they'll make shit up on spot when they have to.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no friends let alone ones that drive stuff like that.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Do any of your friends do open track events?
Do you?
Do you know what one is?
Do you know how fast a bone stock Terminator can be on track if you know how to keep it out of limp mode, and learn how to drive it?(over heating is bad and can be avoided)

Do you know what the look on the owner of an 80K plus sports cars face looks like, when they look at you after having to give your lowly Mustang a point by?

IT IS FREAKING PRICELESS!!!:rockon:

TWS2007pcahillcountry038.jpg

TWS2007pcahillcountry037.jpg

TWS2007pcahillcountry032.jpg

Then afterwards at dinner you can casually drop the fact that no electronic suspension controls and reasonable power to weight makes driving the car...

AN ABSOLUTE VISCERAL RUSH!!!

Expand your car guy knowledge, experience base and horizons.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have given rides to numerous people over the years. I usually don't drive 100% with a passenger but a few times i have when catching exotic cars (ford gt, lambo, gt2, gt3, ferrari, viper etc) and getting a point-by. I cannot count the times people have said " I didn't know mustangs could handle that well". A few other comments were " This is better then sex (?), best time i had all year, could you give my girlfriend a ride but make her scream, I had to close my eyes (scared) the entire time etc.

Ryushin

Established Member
I truly feel it's the whole muscle car image that mustangs have. I believe that Ford wanted to make the Cobra a sports car and not a muscle car. I also feel that if Ford had another year for development, they would have gotten the Cobra spot on. Once the IRS is fixed and the over heating caused by not enough hood ventilation and the radiator not being boxed in, the Cobra is an incredible car, especially for the value that it brings and what it can compete with.

John Coletti said he was flattered when a sports car magazine did a full shoot out with some of the highest end cars available and also included the Terminator with them. If they had another year of development and fixed the flaws that the Cobra had, I think it would have ranked much higher in that shoot out. One of it's major limiting factors was it was speed limited when the other cars could get to 190+ and beyond.

Overall, the Cobra is a great car. Fix the few design problems that it had and you have a sports car that can hang or even beat a lot of the exotics. Plus there is nothing like the look on their face when your "mustang" took down a $150K+ car.

Mustang289

Established Member
I get this all the time, Porsche's are better, GTRs are better, bla, bla, bla. I tell them they should be considering you're going to spend $100K. I would tell them for way less than $100K, I could have two terminators, one setup for straight line racing, the other for road racing.

Bottom line is opinions are like a** holes, everybody's got one! No matter what you say isn't going to change their opinion.

There are more people who like your car vs. "you should get an Audi"..

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
My ex hated the Cobra. "Its just a Mustang, but its a good car for you I guess." She would hate riding in it "Makes too much noise" and still be pointing out S4s and TTs as Audi was her thing. Bitch you are in a TERMINATOR, everybody on the road is looking at ME, and here you are pointing at Audis?!? Did I mention she is now an EX? looool

A good friend of mine has owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees his whole life. He was looking into getting the SRT Jeep, not because he's into racing or any of that, just simply because its a 'sick Jeep". I told him he would kill himself, so I let him drive my Lightning. He got into boost for about two seconds, let right off, and pulled over and got out. He never got the SRT =)
I took this same guy out in the Cobra. I took him for a beat run, lit the tires at 35-40, let off, eased into it and hit 95 in just a few seconds. He started laughing uncontrollably and would stop for 5 minutes. He was saying "I cant believe it, I was watching everything move slowly past the window, and then all of a sudden everything went blurry like warp speed!!!!!" I made a believer right there.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
mine get it....except all but one has sold his Terminator in favor of a C6 (some Z's, some LS3's...)

mach1033

Established Member
A friend of mine works for mercedes benz and he has alot of high end clientele. Anyway he had asked if my friends and I would like to go to a meet with these guys and have some highway fun afterwards. So the "poor" guys meaning me and my Ford friends pull up and we didnt get many looks but I expected that. There were Lambo's, M series BMW's, AMG Benz's, etc etc. So rightly so they were all paying attention to the 6 figure stock cars and they forced themselves to come ask about our cars. In our group we all say the same thing " 13lbs of boost 470 hp" So they assumed flywheel and they were all bragging about there 510 and 530 hp cars. The lowest HP car in our group was 540rwhp to the highest of 740rwhp. So long story short we kicked the shit out of all the cars from a 40 to a 50mph roll. The only one that wasnt very happy was the guy with the lambo. We all pulled into a truck stop parking lot off the highway and he gets out of his car and starts talking shit about why we let up at 160 and how his car will kill ours in the top end blah blah blah. So my boy tells him he needs a driver mod and then that really set him off. Note this guy is a plastic surgeon and he wanted to rumble with some blue collar guys lol. You would think we beat him out of money or something. He eventually calmed down and we bought him coffee and donuts from Dunkin Donuts and told him that we actually made 16lbs of boost and 540hp lol. ;-)

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The shear power of the Cobra over most more sophisticated sports cars is incredible. Once most Audi or Porsche owners feel that power they will be jealous of what you have. Sure the $100k plus models have power, but the 50k ones have no power at all when compared. I have pulled on several Porsche's on the street and the look on the drivers face is great!

Plus, I just plain prefer a muscle car over a sports car.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I truly feel it's the whole muscle car image that mustangs have. I believe that Ford wanted to make the Cobra a sports car and not a muscle car. I also feel that if Ford had another year for development, they would have gotten the Cobra spot on. Once the IRS is fixed and the over heating caused by not enough hood ventilation and the radiator not being boxed in, the Cobra is an incredible car, especially for the value that it brings and what it can compete with.

John Coletti said he was flattered when a sports car magazine did a full shoot out with some of the highest end cars available and also included the Terminator with them. If they had another year of development and fixed the flaws that the Cobra had, I think it would have ranked much higher in that shoot out. One of it's major limiting factors was it was speed limited when the other cars could get to 190+ and beyond.

Overall, the Cobra is a great car. Fix the few design problems that it had and you have a sports car that can hang or even beat a lot of the exotics. Plus there is nothing like the look on their face when your "mustang" took down a $150K+ car.

True statement but the biggest thing the Cobra needs to move it up a notch is a stiffer chassis. Mod the hell out of the car but it will always have to contend with that issue sub-frames be dammed. All the IRS needs is a FTBR delrin kit :-D

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is there anything wrong with liking the viceral feel of power in an admittedly basic vehicle? I love my cobra but I am constanly getting flak from my friends who are into the more "sophisticated" sports cars. I'm tired or hearing "my audi has all wheel drive and navi"(by the way his car also makes 450hp so its no dog) or "your car is fast but it's no porsche" Yeah he owns a porsche. Why dont these guys get it? Anybody else with eurotrash driving pals like these. I keep telling them to grab a pair and stop listening to what their 21 year old pre-madonna girlfriends think. Any comments?

What you are dealing with regarding to your friends is one of "ego", "status" and "perception". To be honest I would not have it any other way :-D

It has been my experience not to try to defend your car. Just let them have their fun while boosting their ego's mocking the "little guy and his Mustang" :nonono: It is best just to smile, maintain your composure and say nothing. Then add icing to the cake and compliment their expensive hardware, ask questions and say nothing about yours! (if they ask make it short, be vague and quickly change the subject). In my motorcycle racing days the guy I'm always leery about is the guy that keeps his mouth shut. The one who spout off about how fast they are or how great their machine is rarely turns out that way. In your case if your modest, your car is low key but has a Whipple/KB or even worse; a "Turbo" lurking under the hood your friends are in for a rude awakening :uh oh: Especially after mocking your mass produced 7 year old $34,000 Ford Mustang. Some guys go for the loud exhaust "throw them a rev look at ME" type road confrontation. But a low key Terminator that holds "lots of secrets" will have an aura surrounding it that tends to make owners of expensive “snobmobile’s" nervous at a light :poke: It's called setting them up for "the big fall" and it sends their ego crashing down with them :fart: Once you put a few bus lengths on them they will be in a state of denial and just dismiss your car as a dragster which is where a well sorted chassis comes into play (keep that IRS out back for just such an occasion).

After that you will find it tends to shut them up and you they no longer discuss your Mustang anymore and prefer you take it elsewhere :-D

Terminator: has it's flaws but there is no other car I would rather own :banana:

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
What you are dealing with regarding to your friends is one of "ego", "status" and "perception". To be honest I would not have it any other way :-D

It has been my experience not to try to defend your car. Just let them have their fun while boosting their ego's mocking the "little guy and his Mustang" :nonono: It is best just to smile, maintain your composure and say nothing. Then add icing to the cake and compliment their expensive hardware, ask questions and say nothing about yours! (if they ask make it short, be vague and quickly change the subject). In my motorcycle racing days the guy I'm always leery about is the guy that keeps his mouth shut. The one who spout off about how fast they are or how great their machine is rarely turns out that way. In your case if your modest, your car us low key but has a Whipple/KB or even worse; a "Turbo" lurking under the hood your friends are in for a rude awakening :uh oh: Especially after mocking your mass produced 7 year old $34,000 Ford Mustang. Some guys go for the loud exhaust "throw them a rev look at ME" type road confrontation. But a low key Terminator that holds "lots of secrets" will have an aura surrounding it that tends to make owners of expensive “snobmobile’s" nervous at a light :poke: It's called setting them up for "the big fall" and it sends their ego crashing down with them :fart: Once you put a few bus lengths on them they will be in a state of denial and just dismiss your car as a dragster which is where a well sorted chassis comes into play (keep that IRS out back for just such an occasion).

After that you will find it tends to shut them up and you they no longer discuss your Mustang anymore and prefer you take it elsewhere :-D

Terminator: has it's flaws but there is no other car I would rather own :banana:

Excellent post! Most all the Terminator's weak points and faults can be addressed and corrected. It just takes good planning, modification and money. I like that "sleeper" attitude and take it to heart!

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

It has been my experience not to try to defend your car. Just let them have their fun while boosting their ego's mocking the "little guy and his Mustang" :nonono: It is best just to smile, maintain your composure and say nothing. Then add icing to the cake and compliment their expensive hardware, ask questions and say nothing about yours! (if they ask make it short, be vague and quickly change the subject). In my motorcycle racing days the guy I'm always leery about is the guy that keeps his mouth shut. The one who spout off about how fast they are or how great their machine is rarely turns out that way. In your case if your modest, your car us low key but has a Whipple/KB or even worse; a "Turbo" lurking under the hood your friends are in for a rude awakening :uh oh: Especially after mocking your mass produced 7 year old $34,000 Ford Mustang. Some guys go for the loud exhaust "throw them a rev look at ME" type road confrontation. But a low key Terminator that holds "lots of secrets" will have an aura surrounding it that tends to make owners of expensive “snobmobile’s" nervous at a light :poke: It's called setting them up for "the big fall" and it sends their ego crashing down with them :fart: Once you put a few bus lengths on them they will be in a state of denial and just dismiss your car as a dragster which is where a well sorted chassis comes into play (keep that IRS out back for just such an occasion).

I like this!:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread