Failed smog

SoCaDan

Established Member
In preparation of registering my newly acquired 04 vert shipped to me from out of state I took it to my local Ford dealership to have a multi point inspection and smog check. Car is totally stock with 14,200 original miles and has barely been driven over the past few months. As a matter of fact it sat for a week while I was on vacation.
Car passed Emission test with flying colors but failed on one of the Functional test results. "MAF Pass-Vehicle has 3 monitors that need to be cleared". EGR, CAT, and EVAP Monitors. The Ford tech advised me to drive under normal conditions for the next two weeks then come back in to have Monitors tested. Has anyone ever had to deal with something similar? Seems strange to me.

postalbunny

Established Member
I've only seen that after the codes have been reset; usually on a car that i've been working on. Drive it for aprox 25-50 miles and run by autozone and have them check if it all the indicators are "ready".

hopefully it's just because the car has had the battery disconnected for some work or something. I've bought some cars where owners have tried to hide check-engine lights by clearing the codes... they soon come back.

SoCaDan

Established Member
I've only seen that after the codes have been reset; usually on a car that i've been working on. Drive it for aprox 25-50 miles and run by autozone and have them check if it all the indicators are "ready".

hopefully it's just because the car has had the battery disconnected for some work or something. I've bought some cars where owners have tried to hide check-engine lights by clearing the codes... they soon come back.

Thanks! The Ford tech did say it was strange that the check-engine light was not on. Anyway I'll drive it around these next few days and run it by autozone. I really do need to get this car registered before the end of the month.

SoCaDan

Established Member
It should be okay after you drive around a bit. Because the battery was disconnected, the computer has to go through all the parameters and make sure everything is ok. should be no biggie.

Read this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ted-battery-then-later-failed-inspection.html

GL!

Thanks for the link! Does sound very familiar. Now I see why the tech wants me to drive the car around under normal circumstances, different driving cycles, etc. The car was basically stored for the winter before offered for sale. All beginning to make sense to me now.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Might have something to do with the battery disconnected as the other said. Most are unaware that when the battery disconnected under stock tune there is a program stored in the EEC that for 26 key turns there is no boost and it runs rich due to only 87 octane at the factory.

The cars are started drivin of the line. started again and moved. Started again move to train. strated drivin again off the train. Started and moved again to car carrier. started and moved again off carrier. then one more time to do PDI at dealer.

Result was they were having clogged cats so the changed the programming for the first 26 key turns by that time they figured the buyer would be putting in the high octang.

I got this info directly form ford at the Romeo engine plant and the SVT call line when they actually were a solid group of guys for help.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Might have something to do with the battery disconnected as the other said. Most are unaware that when the battery disconnected under stock tune there is a program stored in the EEC that for 26 key turns there is no boost and it runs rich due to only 87 octane at the factory.

The cars are started drivin of the line. started again and moved. Started again move to train. strated drivin again off the train. Started and moved again to car carrier. started and moved again off carrier. then one more time to do PDI at dealer.

Result was they were having clogged cats so the changed the programming for the first 26 key turns by that time they figured the buyer would be putting in the high octang.

I got this info directly form ford at the Romeo engine plant and the SVT call line when they actually were a solid group of guys for help.

While this does sound familiar and may very well be true of the initial build, I do not believe it resets with every battery disconnect.
I have disconnected my battery many times and although the learned strategies were lost and set back to "as programmed", IAC adjustments, radio presets, etc, it had full boost available every time I drove it afterwards within a block or two from my house.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
While this does sound familiar and may very well be true of the initial build, I do not believe it resets with every battery disconnect.
I have disconnected my battery many times and although the learned strategies were lost and set back to "as programmed", IAC adjustments, radio presets, etc, it had full boost available every time I drove it afterwards within a block or two from my house.

The other things they may have done was changed the timing also. No idea what a car would do after the reflashing either with a new tune or the flash they did for the stall on the TSB. But I do know some owners had problems with the car right when they got it and it was advised about the 26 key turns becuase of the low grade fuel at the factory. They wernt putting in high test. Guess it makes sense.

SoCaDan

Established Member
Passed!

After driving the car as instructed over the past 2 weeks (put 400 miles on the odometer) my car passed smog today. Have my registration appointment set for Thursday. State of CA will be happy to empty my wallet of about $2500. Well worth it though!

Users who are viewing this thread