Disconnected battery, then later on it failed inspection

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
so i had my car parked for 4 months ,since i was out of state working on movies .I came back, and plugged the battery in to take her for smog check .I got there and the computer they plugged in read egr not ready,cats not ready .I took to car out and drove it around.I went back and it still seed the same thing .I took it into the dealer and they seed i still have to drive the car for a while .I dont know why it would take a long time to register all the components .I been driving her around for 2 days

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
i hear sometimes you need to put around 50 miles or so if the battery has been replaced . When u say u drove 2 days how many miles??u do have cats and the egr system still on the car right??

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
yes i got the cats and egr and i drove the car about 100 miles in diff speeds and the whole nine yards .I called galpin and yelled at them ,and now there saying hang tight lets see if we can do something

oldmodman

Established Member
I'm not entirely sure it is miles alone that will set the ready settings. It may require a certain number of driving cycles. Start up at dead cold, drive until fully warmed up. Park it until dead cold and repeat. How many times I don't know.

Blueline

Established Member
It may take some miles, I have seen some cars have to go almost 400 miles before it reset. Luckily I just went through this with my car. I would not go through inspection because everything in my tune was turned off. So when it was plugged into the OBDII port all of my parameters read, "not ready" or "unsupported." With my SCT tuner I put the car back to stock tune and drove it VERY CAREFULLY not to make any boost or any heavy load on it. I downloaded the stock tune, started the car and drove directly to inspection, 23 miles mostly highway. It went right through inspection. I then downloaded my performance tune. So it may take some time. My buddy said some cars take forever to reset the parameters. GL it will work out.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Google "Ford driving cycle" to determine the fastest way to ready your emission devices for emission testing. It's a pretty specific set of instruction for each system, but if you do it right, you can have the car ready in less than an hour.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Plug-in MIL Eliminators shouldn t cause any of this right

Well typically no cause they are there to fool the computer, but it will cause a visual inspection fail.

You do need to drive the car for a little while to let it all re register, but that should take 20 mins and maybe 10 miles, not 2 days worth of driving.

Dont you have a few "yellow" cars, one starting with an F or is that another member on here?

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
yup thats me with the f cars as well lol .I got the car back from the dealer, and they didnt do anything about it .i will drive it this weekend and see what i can do .Im at a dead end .I will try to take the mils out and just connect the cats directly and see if that will help.i dont understand why i get the egr not ready.i get the cats not being ready cause there high flow

Last edited:

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
wont pass smog cause computer says not ready

so i had my car parked for 4 months ,since i was out of state working on movies .I came back, and plugged the battery in to take her for smog check .I got there and the computer they plugged in read egr not ready,cats not ready .I took to car out and drove it around.I went back and it still seed the same thing .I took it into the dealer and they seed i still have to drive the car for a while .I dont know why it would take a long time to register all the components .I been driving her around for 2 days.i dont know if i take off the mils and connect the cats directly will help this issue

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
From what I remember it normally takes a minimum of 50 miles, and at least one complete "drive cycle" (from a cold start, driving many miles to get the engine to normal operating temp, and shut down) to get the computer out of that condition.

It's to prevent people from trying to reset a check engine light issue prior to emissions testing. It's assumed any real issue will reset the lamp again after a completed drive cycle, and a minimum of 50 miles driven.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday with my GT500. Battery had been unhooked for awhile and I had only drove the car about 3 miles since reconnecting it. It said not ready. The dealer told me to put 30 miles on it and come back. Took it back Wednesday after about 40 miles and it passed just fine.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I have the same trouble with my Cobra. Drove it almost 500 miles and still getting "system not ready" ...unsupported. Called the shop that did my tune last year and they blamed it on changes at NJ inspection stations. I was told they need to download a new file and run the car on a the dyno through a "complete" cycle which he indicated could take 4 hrs. None of it makes sense to me. Not interested in paying for 4 hrs on the dyno either. I could load the stock tune I guess, but don't want to worry about it every time the car gets inspected. I'm gonna try and load the file then drive it to work for a week then back to the inspection station

Blueline

Established Member
I have the same trouble with my Cobra. Drove it almost 500 miles and still getting "system not ready" ...unsupported. Called the shop that did my tune last year and they blamed it on changes at NJ inspection stations. I was told they need to download a new file and run the car on a the dyno through a "complete" cycle which he indicated could take 4 hrs. None of it makes sense to me. Not interested in paying for 4 hrs on the dyno either. I could load the stock tune I guess, but don't want to worry about it every time the car gets inspected. I'm gonna try and load the file then drive it to work for a week then back to the inspection station

Yeah you can do either one. You can load the stock tune back in to pass inspection, just becareful when driving with the stock tune and your smaller pulley, or you can have your tuner just email you your tune with all the parameters turned on. Then just drive the car until the computer is "Ready" for inspection. Oh the difference in NJ is years ago you would pass as long as the check engine light was not on. So if our tuner had everything turned off in the tune you would go right through inspection because it would not throw a CEL. Now NJ changed their software to actually check each parameter and make sure its working. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes it helps to hear it from another scource, Thanks Blueline. With what you said, the whole thing makes a little more sense to me now. I feel better. I'll be taking it to the tuner Tuesday and he will load the necessary files and I'll drive it to work the rest of the week and hope it passes inspection next saturday

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Custom dyno tuners may have the tendency to turn off emission devices, modify boost bypass, etc. as part of their normal custom WOT tune process. Driveability and emission compliance isn't always part of the tune. The adaptive strategy helps this to a point. You can specify an emissions friendly tune, but the safety of that tune depends on the amount of engine mods.

Leaving certain emission devices ON in an effort to be emission compliant can still create error codes. With the partial throttle boost bypass modifications on my first tune, my EGR threw a code instantly after a battery reset. My method was the same for emission testing: stock tune.

As for MIL eliminators, they are notorious for creating problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread