What's the deal with the 2.2 KB

Teej281

Established Member
I see people ranting and raving about wanting one and how you can demand a premium for used ones and such. What makes the 2.2 so desirable? What makes it so special in the cobra world when you could have a whipple 2.3 or other blowers for not much more than a used smaller blower. Is it like just for the rarity of it or what?

TRBO VNM

Yup, that is pretty much it. The sound it creates. Not many aftermarket blowers make a similar sound to the eaton, but the 2.2KB does

greengt88

Established Member
its a loud thats about it. kinda old school in terms of efficiency these days. i wish someone would make a revision and start making us loud blowers again.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I see people ranting and raving about wanting one and how you can demand a premium for used ones and such. What makes the 2.2 so desirable? What makes it so special in the cobra world when you could have a whipple 2.3 or other blowers for not much more than a used smaller blower. Is it like just for the rarity of it or what?

Not sure about demanding a premium but I think a 2200-2400$ is a good price to pay for a proven 600rwhp or more. These blowers are old school and proven over and over to be great for those are wanting around 600rwhp, which is attainable on pump gas. Its also a good street blower that whines like b**ch

Of course a 2.3 whipple can do the same (in terms of making hp but it does it quiet), but KB fans like me (no hate on whipples just always been a KB guy) love the scream and the looks of the 2.2 :rockon:

Last edited:

whitedevil0321

Established Member
2.2 blower whine FTMFW!!!!!! if they made a blower that could make 675+ on pump gas with that whine of the 2.2 OMG id have it in a heart beat lol

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
The sound is the only reason I haven't sold mine yet. I plan on selling it in the future for a whipple 2.9 but I'm really scared I'm gonna miss the sound....

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
:rockon: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes"]YouTube - ‪Bad ass Mustang Cobra with Kenne Bell Supercharger‬‏[/nomedia] :rockon:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I bought my polished 2.2 last year and have around 2K in it along with a BAP.

I've wondered myself why they're loud compared to newer KBs.. it's honestly probably because of a restriction somewhere..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY8ULj5yo3I"]YouTube - ‪03 Cobra KB 2.2 Base Tune Dyno Pulls‬‏[/nomedia]

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Even though Kenne Bell themselves have replaced that unit with a different and more efficient blower they have become so iconic to modded 03/04 Cobras and have that very distinctive scream, that one could almost be considered to be a "period correct mod".

The primary appeal to most, is going to be the "Classic KB SCREAM" at least for those guys that have followed these cars for a while.

The scream is the only advantage over any of the 2.3 Whipples, that is if the scream qualifies in your book as an actual advantage at all.

Teej281

Established Member
The scream to me is like a young kid wanting to have the loudest exhaust on his gt or something. There are other exhausts out that make more power than slp's, but they want slp's to be loud. Same with this blower I'm taking it...it's louder and would probably not make as much power as a 2.3 with the same boost. Lol

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
The scream is the only advantage over any of the 2.3 Whipples, that is if the scream qualifies in your book as an actual advantage at all.

It does jimmy....if you prowl up next to someone youll win everytime. Its so loud it will pierce the op ear, then it also peals their hand off of the shifter. Automatic win for you...lol

+1,000,000 about being period correct.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Hey the 2.3 Is not exactly very quiet when you start pushing it hard with a aggressive pulley setup.

Whipple
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBy9bxsR_Lw"]YouTube - ‪2.3 Whipple Cobra Flyby‬‏[/nomedia]

Vs
Kb 2.2
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFSLnNy1Uw"]YouTube - ‪Kenne Bell Cobra Quick Pass‬‏[/nomedia]

I have a 2.2L all wrapped up in a box downstairs. I'm not going to install it to much later on however. I can't wait, To be honest >.>

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Well I had a 2.2 KB...They are trash compaired to the new setups and I just dont get it. The reason I bought mine was because I thought I would be happy at 600rwhp. Well it turns out they only give you 600 on the dyno and heat soak so bad on the street that you can feel the power going away. They will get you numbers on the strip but remember to ICE the car between runs.

Pure03Venom

Imma Ho...
Established Member
Well I had a 2.2 KB...They are trash compaired to the new setups and I just dont get it. The reason I bought mine was because I thought I would be happy at 600rwhp. Well it turns out they only give you 600 on the dyno and heat soak so bad on the street that you can feel the power going away. They will get you numbers on the strip but remember to ICE the car between runs.

A 2.2 with an intercooler with 40ish * coolant pushing through it is a beautiful thing. IAT2's in the 95-100* range...I won't get rid of mine until it not rebuildable anymore. Combined with my killer chiller, heat soak is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread