What's the deal with the 2.2 KB

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
A 2.2 with an intercooler with 40ish * coolant pushing through it is a beautiful thing. IAT2's in the 95-100* range...I won't get rid of mine until it not rebuildable anymore. Combined with my killer chiller, heat soak is not an issue.

Been there done that. Then I wised up and went turbo.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Hey the 2.3 Is not exactly very quiet when you start pushing it hard with a aggressive pulley setup.

Whipple
YouTube - ‪2.3 Whipple Cobra Flyby‬‏

Vs
Kb 2.2
YouTube - ‪Kenne Bell Cobra Quick Pass‬‏

I have a 2.2L all wrapped up in a box downstairs. I'm not going to install it to much later on however. I can't wait, To be honest >.>

From the comments on that whipple video it says it's a 3.0 with a stock lower. I have the same setup and mine sure as hell doesn't sound like that. LOL

2.2's sound good but lack to much in efficiency to justify buying one just for that. I'd say how the blower performs 1st then sound 2nd.

Ordakow

SVT Poster
Established Member
My friend had to get his rebuilt after every 4K miles. Don't know if running it @ 22 lbs of boost had anything to do with it. Love the sound but his rebuilds made me go 2.3 Whipple.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As you can see, those who have the KB 2.2 are diehard loyal to their blower. :)

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Even though Kenne Bell themselves have replaced that unit with a different and more efficient blower they have become so iconic to modded 03/04 Cobras and have that very distinctive scream, that one could almost be considered to be a "period correct mod".

The primary appeal to most, is going to be the "Classic KB SCREAM" at least for those guys that have followed these cars for a while.

The scream is the only advantage over any of the 2.3 Whipples, that is if the scream qualifies in your book as an actual advantage at all.

So true, it's kinda like a numbers matching classic car

1320 Junkie

Established Member
i can report the 2.9 whistles a tad at idle with the 3.2" pulley on it....i too have left the KB blowers back in 2005 and have and always will be a whipple user...the heatsoak with the KB's is unbelieveable...all set with that. only upgrade from the 2.9 in my opinion is Twin 57mm turbo's

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
i see some have stated about heat soak. i love my 2.2 but damn if it don't run like a turd when its hot out. it will run anywhere from 4 to 5 tenths slower depending on weather when its heat soaked....

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
i see some have stated about heat soak. i love my 2.2 but damn if it don't run like a turd when its hot out. it will run anywhere from 4 to 5 tenths slower depending on weather when its heat soaked....

That's any twin screw though for the most part, particularly if you're not running a ice box or a killer chiller (although I'm not a fan of the KC).

JStrib

No SVT for me
Established Member
My car sounds so angry with the 2.2 lol I just want MO POWA! So I'm trying to decide my long term goal for the car, turbo vs bigger twin screw vs nitrous on the 2.2...

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
A video of my old cobra, Jstrib now owns.. screams with the headlight out at the track!!
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0troup24iY8"]YouTube - ‪03 KB Cobra1‬‏[/nomedia]

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Love my 2.2 KB. Power is up there for such a *small* blower and has the ability to make folks shit their pants from the high-pitch scream alone.

I need to get a new video up. Even a video of a kb 2.2 at 20+psi does NOT do it justice. As a few of my friends describe, it makes your ears bleed. They can hear me from across campus.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Since we are tossing whining blower vids up. I will add my ported eaton in the mix. :)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLeSNuALk5g&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Cobra flyby.MOV‬‏[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread