5.0 vs cobra,head to head

holdfast

Established Member
ok guys new 5.0 6 speed with 3.73m intake,tune,exhaust. vs 03 cobra intake tune and exhaust with same gears who wins and why and what car do you prefere and y, o and ive had both.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i have seen plenty of the new 5.0 racing 03-04 cobra, and the 5.0 always gets spanked.

in the other 500 threads identical to this one, it seems the cobra gets the over-all vote for most liked...due to its rarity, forged internals, much better looking, supercharged, etc.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
let you know when it happens still havent had the pleasure

TRBO VNM

i have seen plenty of the new 5.0 racing 03-04 cobra, and the 5.0 always gets spanked.

in the other 500 threads identical to this one, it seems the cobra gets the over-all vote for most liked...due to its rarity, forged internals, much better looking, supercharged, etc.

^this. Not another one of these threads. Lol

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Don't let horsepower comparisons sway you. Torque is more important. And not just peak torque, but how quickly it builds and when it drops off. The 2011 V-6 Mustang has something like 300 hp. My 98 Cobra came stock with 305, so they seem to be comparable until you look at the torque curves. Then the 4valve V-8 comes out on top every time.

If the hp and tq are similar, then it comes down to curb weight. I've always heard that 100 lbs is worth a tenth in the quarter mile.

There are other factors as well, such as traction. I saw a video of a 1,000 hp Supra losing a race to a lesser hp Honda because the Supra spun most of the way down the track.

"Horsepower sells cars, but torque puts the smile on your face."

stang910

Established Member
I'm going to say the 5.0 has the cobra covered. You didn't say the cobra was pullied so I'd find it hard to believe a stock pullied cobra can keep up with a 5.0.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Yeah I also think a new bolton 5.0 can beat a stock pulley cobra. close race though..always a sensitive subject with some..lol

Teej281

Established Member

New GT has that covered. If I was offered either of the two for the same price, I'd be going with the new 5.0 without a doubt.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I'm going to say the 5.0 has the cobra covered. You didn't say the cobra was pullied so I'd find it hard to believe a stock pullied cobra can keep up with a 5.0.

You don't think the Cobra could "Keep Up" with the 5.0? :lol: Some people must just not be able to drive. I drove my buddies stock 5.0 and it was OK, I had to rev it to the moon to get any TQ. We you say "keep up" you're implying that the 5.0 would walk the Cobra? Hell stock for stock not many cars can "Walk" a Terminator with a capable driver. My stock Cobra made 400hp 380 TQ with a CAI/CB only which is comparable to the new 5.0 with similar mods.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It will be a driver's race with the specs of each car as posted. JMO.

Last edited:

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Just took down my second new 5.0 last night. Not from a dig though, rolled it on on the freeway doin about 70. I accidentally pulled it outta third and had to catch up but still beat him. Then on the second pull, no mistakes, and the 5.0 didn't even stand a chance...

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Why would you leave the pulley stock if you are going to tune it? Just saying. All the money spent is for the tune and tunner, the pulley is not that bad, plus you could probably find a used one on here used for next to nothing. I think the 5.0 is kinda of a step down. If you are going get any serious power out of it you are going to have to supercharge it and that's going to require a built shortblock. The 5.0 is a nice car don't get me wrong. It's a sweet package. In the case mentioned above I think the Cobra has the advantage. Were the 5.0 may get some of it back is when the cobra starts to get heat soaked. When the IAT2s go up power seems to take a big hit on the cobra. Back to back to back runs will help the 5.0.

texas_spec

Established Member
cobra hands down. we've had a few 5.0's at the dealership i work at, they're fast but you have to wait for the rpms to get up there before you get moving.:shrug:

cobracide

Established Member
The Cobra torque band rules over the 5.0. Win Cobra or something else - ie. driver mod is messed up, traction, ect.. End of story. Yes even stock.

Last edited:

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Cobra, hands down, there is no argument. 12.8's are stock 1/4 mile times with a good driver in a Cobra. The new 5.0 is 13.X's stock with a good driver.
Being that the Cobra is a forced induction power plant it's going to respond better to any bolt ons vs a naturally aspirated engine. So to sum it up, the new 5.0 would have a better chance 100% stock form vs a 100% stock Cobra.

jdgt03

Established Member
I raced one on the way back from the nmra finals last year, we were on the interstate, and i knew the guy he kept messing with me so we went for it. 3rd gear roll i immediatley jump him 2 cars and when i hit 4th i kept pulling. We did this 3 times. My car then had a 2.8 pulley, exhaust, and tune. The torque curve is so good on the 03-04 its hard to beat stock even if the hp is a little higher.

5.0jake

Established Member
Cobra, hands down, there is no argument. 12.8's are stock 1/4 mile times with a good driver in a Cobra. The new 5.0 is 13.X's stock with a good driver.
It is well known a stock 5.0 can run a 12.9 maybe a little quicker with a good driver.
I think from a dig it's a driver's race and from a roll the edge going to the cobra.
:beer:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
drivers race both cars are close stock vs stock and basic bolt ons,the cobra has upper hand though of mod's once they do anything more then intake exaust its what a pulley swap away from changing the game lol but the new 5.0 can make 420-450rwhp with full exaust and bolt ons close to even a pulley intake exaust cobra and they are both around same curb weight 3,600lbs. so its to close to call pending driver with said mods above.

Users who are viewing this thread