5.0 vs cobra,head to head

20redfire03

Established Member
Everyone keeps saying "Stock Pullied" Cobra, like that actually exists anymore! lol

They do exist, there is one across town from me that my friends brother owns and another somewhere not to far from me that an older guy owns and I am not sure he drives it to often as I have only seen it a handful of times. Buts thats the only 2 I know of.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are quite a few stock pullied Terminators running around out there. We see reports of sales of stock pullied Cobras all the time. We're just used to seeing a majority of pullied Terminators here. Folks with stock pullies likely don't spend much or any time on forums like this.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Everyone keeps saying "Stock Pullied" Cobra, like that actually exists anymore! lol

I know that was tongue in cheek, but posts number 12 and 13 in this thread i believe are stock pulley.

There are quite a few stock pullied Terminators running around out there. We see reports of sales of stock pullied Cobras all the time. We're just used to seeing a majority of pullied Terminators here. Folks with stock pullies likely don't spend much or any time on forums like this.

Agreed because if they did spend a little time here they would probably not stay stock very long.

Ironhand

Banned
I know that was tongue in cheek, but posts number 12 and 13 in this thread i believe are stock pulley.

Agreed because if they did spend a little time here they would probably not stay stock very long.

Yup. But they have mods. Mods period means its not stock!

Also, I saw a "stock pullied" cobra for sale once. It happen to made 474 for hp and had a 2.76 upper.

The majority of Cobras are modded. The majority of 5.0s are stock or have exhaust and intake.

I also have a "stock pullied" whipple. That counts right? Its a stock pullied Cobra....

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Mines stll has the factory pulley on it. always did, always will.

With CAI and Catback I made 390 tq and 385 hp back years ago when I had it dynoed if my memory serves.
I would think an equally modded Coyote, would walk me in anything over 80 degres,

trendkilllx

Established Member
mine still has factory pulley and tune as well, dynoed 404hp and 396tq with the good torque curve, but probably will add a tune and pulley soon as heard it makes a big difference.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Evan Smith (whose a great driver) from MM&FF ran a lot quicker than 13.X when testing a bone stock 5.0!

There has been a few members on SVTP that have gone 12.4X with a "stock" Cobra, doesn't mean that all 03/04's will run that number!
The 13.X is the typical 1/4 mile times of a "stock" new 5.0, just like the 12.8 is the typical 1/4 mile time of a "stock" cobra.

Jsko

Established Member
I had the chance to race my friends, and beat him. I was stock pullied since 07 until about 2 weeks ago. I decided to skip a pulley and go right to TS.

SSRUNU2

Established Member
I have a pulley, tune, offroad x pipe, stinger car back, and a shifter.

new 5.0 around here with cat back, tune, and an 85 shot ran about what my car ran.

And my car (previous owner) stock clutch was slipping BAAAAAAAD.

svtscott01

Established Member
I love my cobra. That being said if the cobra was NA it would not make the power the new 5.0 does. Better heads more displacement etc. However the cobra is not NA and being factory supercharged gives it a more stout bottom end and overall more bang for the buck. Show me a new 5.0 that can make 500+hp with under 1000 bucks in add-ons. Still think the cobra looks better but the new chassis design is far superior. I'd still go cobra!

Qwk GT

Established Member
I know its a different version of the car, but I thought MMFF ran a Boss soemthing like 12.1 all stock. I was surprised, I know its 444hp, but figured with the added weight and having to wait for the torque it would be closer to stock/stockish cobras.

As far as normal 5.0's, dont know..... they seem like they are quick from the stuff I've read.

The Duke

Established Member
I have a stock pullied cobra with jlt intake and tune with 385 rwhp and 370 tq who beat a 5.0 by a car and a half from a stand still to 120 where I let out. This should have been a little over a 1\4 mile since I ran 12.8 at 113 in the cobra with same set up. Tq and hp curve is better in the cobra, hp is not as high but gets up there faster.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I have a stock pullied cobra with jlt intake and tune with 385 rwhp and 370 tq who beat a 5.0 by a car and a half from a stand still to 120 where I let out. This should have been a little over a 1\4 mile since I ran 12.8 at 113 in the cobra with same set up. Tq and hp curve is better in the cobra, hp is not as high but gets up there faster.

pullied and only making 385hp? something isnt right with that.

when i dyno'd in 113 degrees of heat, with intake temps of 160, and my car pulling LOADS of timing, due to all of the heat, i pulled an even 400hp and 414tq.....this was with only 16 degrees of timing!! my tune commands 20 degrees of timing, so as you can see the car ended up pulling 4 degrees. my only mods are 2.8 upper, JLT RAI, steeda cat-back, and tune.

do you see what im saying tho? even in the worst dyno conditions as possible, and the car pulling timing like mad, i still managed to muster up atleast 400hp. of course in ideal conditions, with the car NOT pulling timing, my numbers would be right about where they should be...in the 450 - 460 range. any idea on why your numbers are so low?

edit: not trying to get off topic...just curious (with my above question)...so to stay on topic...

SEE!! even with a cobra that has only 385hp, it STILL spanks the 5.0! :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread