Bushings or catback?!?!?!?

SVT DAN

Established Member
What's up fam? Here's my dilemma. I got about a grand of extra cash this month and I wanna put it into White Lightning (my car) I'm in-between ftbr bushing kit and borla stingers catback. Uhm I feel that with the borla it would be adding more whp and traction would be laughable for I have no IRS upgrades besides the 14mm IRS bolts. Any input, would be most appreciated and also any information on to why one is better then the other with out prejudice with facts. :read:

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I would go with the bushing kit. ALWAYS upgrade the supporting components (IRS, brakes, cooling, etc) before adding power. Especially when said supporting component isn't good for stock power!

This is the route I'm following. I upgraded the IRS with the MM Race kit within 2 months of getting the car.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Catback, get the right tires and hop goes away. You should be doing something about the IRS cover before either catback or bushings anyway. Seen posts lately of owners with "FTBR Everything" and they are still complaining about hop.

Last edited:

SVT DAN

Established Member
I was thinking bushings but just wanted to see if the borlas would have made a substantial whp difference with out the bushings holding the tire to the ground

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're not to hard on the car and if it doesn't wheel hop then I'd do the exhaust first every time lol.

SVT DAN

Established Member
I would go with the bushing kit. ALWAYS upgrade the supporting components (IRS, brakes, cooling, etc) before adding power. Especially when said supporting component isn't good for stock power!

This is the route I'm following. I upgraded the IRS with the MM Race kit within 2 months of getting the car.

How is the mm race kit?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you currently have the stock catback, its a no brainer. a catback alone makes a night/day difference in driving enjoyment.

irs bushings are cool, but start with the basics first.

SinisterCobra

Established Member
Catback, get the right tires and hop goes away. You should be doing something about the IRS cover before either catback or bushings anyway. Seen posts lately of owners with "FTBR Everything" and they are still complaining about hop.

this

If you have a grand I would def. get a catback first then a set of tires. Besides, isnt that the main reason for having a V8, to hear that car scream!!! I have about 480 to the wheels with only an IRS brace as my suspension mod, along with drag radials and don't have much of an issue and mind you i'm not easy on my car :burnout:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Exhaust man...I'm a big believer in tires helping the hop as well...A softer side wall definitely helps!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Humm, bushings to not break the IRS or exhaust to sound good? Haha well if you get a catback you'll sound good while you break the IRS lol.

svtrookie

Established Member
I would go with a catback and a IRS brace for starters. I have Bruce's kit. .it's excellent, but from what others have stated. . do the exhaust, BF brace, and some better tires first. Most of my hop was gone just by switching to better tires.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
What's up fam? Here's my dilemma. I got about a grand of extra cash this month and I wanna put it into White Lightning (my car) I'm in-between ftbr bushing kit and borla stingers catback. Uhm I feel that with the borla it would be adding more whp and traction would be laughable for I have no IRS upgrades besides the 14mm IRS bolts. Any input, would be most appreciated and also any information on to why one is better then the other with out prejudice with facts. :read:

Are you a DIY type or do you have to pay others to do the work?

If you have a shop do your IRS bushings, it will cost you big $$$$. The exhaust you can do in your driveway. Just go easy on the car until you get the IRS sorted out. Don't be afraid of poly bushings either - so many naysayers out there love to say that poly is "cheap" or "crap". My IRS is rock solid with the MM/Prothane bushings.

SVT DAN

Established Member
Yeah I think exhaust and differential brace and tires maybe a little more then a grand but worth it thanks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Of course everybody (including myself) want's to do the exhaust first, because it's pretty easy install and makes a great sound. I did it because I had stock mufflers and a exhaust leak with a upr or/x pipe.

But I would do these mods first:

MM full length subframe connectors
H&R race springs & mm caster plates
Diff brace or lpw cover

All those parts should be under 1k, just need to figure out if a shop would do all the install.

Users who are viewing this thread