just bought 18 inch afs wheels, what tires to buy?

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
A set of 18 inch afs wheels...... now just what tires to buy. I have race springs sitting in the house already. what front tire will go well with an r888 guys? besides the obvious r888 on all four corners. this is a street car.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A set of 18 inch afs wheels...... now just what tires to buy. I have race springs sitting in the house already. what front tire will go well with an r888 guys? besides the obvious r888 on all four corners. this is a street car.

Nitto NT05(street tire) or Nitto NT01s or R888s R comps.

Best braking mod in the world is still a stickier pair of tires up front.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
well i was kinda hoping to get something with a decent sidewall but would give me longer tread life. i don't expect the rears to last but a year or two but id like the fronts to be a nice all season type deal

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I'd prefer all seasons on all four but..... no one makes a decent size 18inch tire but drag radial companies. edit forgot the mention i was looking at the falken 452 as a front tire 275.35.18 looks like a nice cheaper front tire to run with the very costly rears

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I must say that if you are wanting to buy some nice looking wheels for your slowbra then going with some R888's on the back with some other design on the front that would look pretty damned stupid and gay. So basically you're loosing the benefits a good, expensive road racing tire gives you because now you'll be understeering like a mofo as those wide/sticky tires are going to be pushing those thin/long lasting tires straight ahead when trying to turn aggressively. At that point IMO you might as well just run some money and run DR's on the back unless you want to pony up and put some R888's on the front also.

Last edited:

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
well this car is strictly a street car id like to get into auto x but i would use my spare 17s for that to keep tire costs down. this is strictly a street set up. The problem is i want a minimum of a 295 out back well because the rears are 10.5 so there is little to no options

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I must say that if you are wanting to buy some nice looking wheels for your slowbra then going with some R888's on the back with some other design on the front that would look pretty damned stupid and gay. So basically you're loosing the benefits a good, expensive road racing tire gives you because now you'll be understeering like a mofo as those wide/sticky tires are going to be pushing those thin/long lasting tires straight ahead when trying to turn aggressively. At that point IMO you might as well just run some money and run DR's on the back unless you want to pony up and put some R888's on the front also.

I really would love for all four tires to match but thats pretty impossible unless you spend 500 a piece on michelins. or run r888 on all four corners just to drive the car to dinner and back lol

Jroc

Established Member
well this car is strictly a street car id like to get into auto x but i would use my spare 17s for that to keep tire costs down. this is strictly a street set up. The problem is i want a minimum of a 295 out back well because the rears are 10.5 so there is little to no options

Their are several 315/30/18 DR's if I remember correctly. I think both BFG, and M/T have them in that size. You can get a 555R in a 305/35/18, and I'm not really sure about the NT05R's or Toyo DR's. I would also recommend Hoosier, but they look more like a racing slick than a DR.

The tread on the R888's just isn't going to match up well at all with any other tire design I know of.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
Their are several 315/30/18 DR's if I remember correctly. I think both BFG, and M/T have them in that size. You can get a 555R in a 305/35/18, and I'm not really sure about the MT05R's or Toyo DR's. I would also recommend Hoosier, but they look more like a racing slick than a DR.

The tread on the R888's just isn't going to match up well at all with any other tire design I know of.

well the thing i had liked about the r888 is that my friend has these on his 03 and has had them in the rain on accident and was able to drive fine. I have had nittos before and even the 555 is bad but the 555r is awful in the rain to say the least. I don't go looking for rain because its a fun car but i do occasionally get stuck in it on accident.

one thing im not a fan of about the 888 is that they tire doesn't bead to the edge of the rim what is the deal with that

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I'd also like to avoid rolling my fenders i had a bad experience and a wavy fender on my fox body mustang a few years back. Thats why i was looking at the 305/30/18 . I was hoping with the race springs i wouldn't have to worry about them rubbing

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd also like to avoid rolling my fenders i had a bad experience and a wavy fender on my fox body mustang a few years back. Thats why i was looking at the 305/30/18 . I was hoping with the race springs i wouldn't have to worry about them rubbing

id just run em on all 4 corners maybe a kdwII upfront?

Last edited:

nol300

Established Member
I like to stay with at least the same brand I run Toyo T1R up front and R888 in back.

Here is the T1R
photobucket-1847-1333666458965.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i'm running a 0 tread rated 315/35/18 toyo tq dr out back and a 300 tread 275/35/18 toyo proxy4 in the front. it tracks just fine, even at high speeds. but the car sees zero rain driving, so can't comment on that. I'm sure the proxy4's would be fine, its those tq's i'd never want to get caught with

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
I looked at the 305/35/18 555r today a little which wold be nice because i could run a 555 up front and match well. The only thing ive heard is that they just don't hook as well

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I run the 305 555rs in the back and they hook fine, although I do have a lot less hp than you. lol

I dont think people give enough credit to them but maybe its just me.

nol300

Established Member
I like to stay with at least the same brand I run Toyo T1R up front and R888 in back.

How is that combo in the occasional wet weather ?

I just got stuck in the rain the other day first time in 8 years since she has been rained on. But never felt worried driving normal and would stick good was on the highway @ 70 felt planted.

03svtcobracoupe

Established Member
My only concern with the 888 now is that it won't fit without rolling my fenders which I want zero parts of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread