Need drag radial advice

vadim353

Honda Killer
Established Member
What radials should i get for my 2004 svt cobra? I went out to the drag strip and if i floor it i spin 1st gear 2nd and some of third gear. The car is making 480rwhp and 502 rwtq. If i feather the gas i get horrible 60 time and it makes me run way slower. I know i should be able to hit 11s with this power but can't grip for shit with nittos 555.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
What size Nitto DR?? ....With the 555R's, I've found that you need to do a GOOD burnout... I've found the tire pressure to be the best at 17.5 psi!!!! ...Cutting 1.80 - 60's .... good luck!

vadim353

Honda Killer
Established Member
so would NTO5Rs be good for grip because i was runing against 2010 gt500 he had those on and he was gripping really well??

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Drag radials transmit way more shock to the IRS.

A full bias ply slick is WAY "mo betta".

Drag Radials = broken IRS parts and slower 60' times.

Bias slicks = less breakage and faster times.

YMMV

T800

Established Member
so would NTO5Rs be good for grip because i was runing against 2010 gt500 he had those on and he was gripping really well??

Check out my Shattered Rear Diff thread...I have the R888's on my car. Absolutely LOVE the tire...but can't help thinking that they may have contributed to the damage.

Jimmy nailed it. Bias ply = Mo' Betta for IRS

vadim353

Honda Killer
Established Member
Ok guys i made up my mind and i am going with slicks. but my question is what size slicks do i put on my cobra since it is dropped and atm in the rear has 315/35/17 nitto 555. i am looking at some slicks on craigslist and i found theses do u guys think they will fit?

American Wheels

or in ur guys opinion wats my best buy?

50q's

Established Member
Drag radials transmit way more shock to the IRS.

A full bias ply slick is WAY "mo betta".

Drag Radials = broken IRS parts and slower 60' times.

Bias slicks = less breakage and faster times.

YMMV

disagree with the 60ft statement.
TOOK OFF MY SLICKS AND RAN THE NEW MICKEY 275/60/15 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Best to buy is the new mickey thompson 275.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mickey-Thomps...Street-Radial-Pro-Drag-Tires/1929010/10002/-1
^^^ that's the new bad b1tch

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Bias ply's aren't practical for a # of reasons unless you have a spare set of rims to put them on, my vote is ET Streets too, I have a brand new set waiting to be installed..

vadim353

Honda Killer
Established Member
slicks or drag radials

so my best bet would be to buy drag radials then because i dont have a whole brand new set of rims for the slicks. can u guys give me some good drag radials i can put on my rims i am running 315/35/17 tires atm nitto 555.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you are serious, you will buy 2 extra wheels for bias ply slicks.

Run your drag radials on the street if you want, if you know it's not going to rain.

As old as these cars are and as long as guys have been drag racing them, to not be able to find tire sizes or which tire type is best for the peculiarities of an SVT Cobra IRS is a little bit ridiculous.

Drag radials do work, however look and see what kind of tires are on 90% of the "I totaled my Terminator"(in the rain) threads.(search function works good for this too)

And coincidentally the same tires also show up on most of the "I destroyed my IRS when I launched" threads.

Notiice I didn't say all.:bored: I said MOST!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
New version Mickey ET Street II 295/45/17 (also a 315/35 is made but too thin a sidewall for my taste).
Nitto NTO5R also in 315/35
M&H Racemaster but the only size would be a thinner 275/40/17 same with ET StreetI
Toyo R888 (not classified as a DR but known for it's Hooking ability)
Hoosier also makes a DR!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^ I agree with Jimmy lots of members here have unfortunately wrecked their cars with DR's in the rain, if your car sees rain the R888 or the Nitto NT series would be best

Users who are viewing this thread