Are the 03/04 Cobra's reliable Daily Drivers with 500hp or more??

VenomVeins

Established Member
Hey guys, I am very close to purchasing a 2003/2004 Terminator convertible and want a little more information from you guys.

Are these pretty reliable daily drivers if they are pushing 500+ Horsepower? I dont mind stock power, but having a second car that was a Z06 with a cam package for 3 years spoiled me on power.

I am currently the second owner of a daily driver 2001 cobra that has been rock solid without literally one problem for 106,000 miles plus and counting. I love it, and take great care of it. The problem is the power. It doesnt have enough. I sold my Z06 last year, and miss having 500+ horsepower on tap. I will never own another 'vette, as they are a massive headache with multiple issues from the factory.

I've always loved the Terminator, and want to know how many of you daily drive them and if you have had issues with them due to it.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your input and look forward to joining the ranks of Terminator owners!

Last edited:

ademily87

Established Member
I'm not 500+ hp but I am pullied and bolt ons so I'd say at least 450hp, and I'm at 118k miles and signs of weakness or slowing down yet!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
They are fine as long as you keep up on the maintenance. Don't beat on it when it's cold either.

Abuse is what makes these cars break. Not miles. I would say the most important factor is to make sure your tune is solid.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Thanks again for your input, guys. I just want to know what issues I could be overlooking that I may deal with once I buy an 03/04. The Z had some horrid surprises that didnt come to light until I had owned it for a year....and GM is the worst company on the face of the earth to deal with when you have a problem, and will NEVER get my business again due to it.

Ford, on the other hand, has done nothing but treat me well. I am now brand loyal to them until the end of my life.

I think he just tripped 322,000 now!

Yes, but he has had head issues (twice, i believe) among other things....all while being mostly stock. Not exactly ideal in my book for a "daily driver".

That said, he is probably very happy with it, which is the only thing that matters.

Any other known issue to look out for besides the dreaded "head tick"? As far as the "tune" on the car, is there a specific one that is better than others or that I should stay away from?

Again, I thank you all for the opinions and helpful advice!

:rockon:

Last edited:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
yes, there fine.
buy an aftermarket blower and make 650+ easy with stock driveability

MysticRob

Established Member
yes, there fine.
buy an aftermarket blower and make 650+ easy with stock driveability

I always loved the look of the Terminator Cobras (still the best looking model ever, IMO) and both the modability and reliability I've read about constantly here and elsewhere sold it for me, so I finally got one. I plan to hit the 450hp RWHP mark shortly with the normal bolt-ons and others I know with the same or more power love them -- most are DDs in fact. :beer:

Oh, and to add a bit about reliabilty, the usual suspects when dealing with stock #s are still possible when modding, like the stock rear diff cover, stock clutch, driveline slack, infamous cobra clunk, etc, but nothing good maintenance and replacement parts can't fix. And starting with a healthy engine goes a long way too. LOL

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I daily mine. Just about to hit 85k. This is actually my second DD cobra. I sold the last one with 92k miles. He's a block away from me and he's at 102k now with no problems. I'm local to you as well, so you are more than willing to text me. 619-895- eight nine zero six. I bought my current cobra 14 month ago with 68k miles....yes, I like to drive her. I'm right around 500 with a ported blower and 2.76 pulley. Just start off with a good car (good compression), change all the fluids when you buy it and stay consistent on it. I change my tranny fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid and antifreeze once a year (which is overkill), but it keeps me from forgetting and keeps internals clean. Also, go with a good oil. I use Royal Purple HPS, but Amsoil is another good choice.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :beer:

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
Mine was a three season DD for the first four years. Any day there was not rain in the forecast it was going on my 80 mile round trip to work and back. It was at or above 500 RWHP for almost that entire time. It was hard to keep it in tires, and construction on one of the major routes led to large clutch muscles. All it need was regular oil changes and the right fuel. No matter what happened at work, I could look forward to the drive home.

I had a valve seat drop in the fifth year that would have required a long block (possibly related to an earlier bag gas incident). It would have been covered under my Ford warranty by the dealer, but my SVT Tech said I would have to put it back to stock first. I decided this was my opportunity to build it stronger then Ford would and crank up the power instead. I did, but now it is no longer practical or care free as a DD. Don't get me wrong, having a beast is awesome, but I also miss the days of having a practical, no worries 500+ RWHP convertible!

Last edited:

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
598 HP DD Whippled 4lb. Pulley no problem except for the rear wheel bearings going because of the stupid retaining nut design. Otherwise great car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR while driving.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pretty sure it was 333,333.3 on the last update. Amazing, head issues or not.

That was the last reading I saw, too. I'm sure he's at the 334,000 mark or higher by now. A whole week has passed. LOL.

But seriously, these engines, if treated properly, maintained properly and not pushed beyond their limits without supporting mods, can last for well over 200K miles. Ford built one stout motor for the '03-'04 Cobra. :rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Mine is/was a reliable daily driver but it is a pig on gas if you don't have much highway between home and work.

It also will eat up any tire that is soft enough to have decent hook at this power level. I was putting a pair of rears on once a year.

Finally found a nice high mile 04 SVT Focus for my daily for pretty cheap.
Fixed what needed fixing and now I an driving the wheels off that.(absolutely LOVE IT!!)

Now I drive the cobra when I need adrenalin rush or just to scare the shit out of myself!:rockon::beer:

Most fun daily I've ever driven and as Suaveflooder stated, just stay up on your maintenance as you would any other car. I drive mine in the winter so Cali weather isn't even an issue for you OP. I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires since I do drive her in the rain too. Outstanding tires for wet weather if you plan on driving in those conditions and these tires grip at the 500hp level.

And I know what you mean OP. When you drive a +500hp car of any kind, its real hard not get back into one again.

wudy

Established Member
Im curious what the issues were that you had with your z? I only ask because I was considering to add one of these to my stable someday.

Users who are viewing this thread