Are the 03/04 Cobra's reliable Daily Drivers with 500hp or more??

d613

This was one of my questions too, as I will be in the market for a high hp cobra as well for a daily. Thanks for all the great replys guys!

.SAINT.

VETKILR
Established Member
Not daily drove.... It could be, but I rather not. Besides... Most cars on the street can't even keep up with my power stroke. Why drive the cobra? I brought my truck to meet in Atlanta I saw a while back and raced a few of the cars there and embarrassed them

VenomVeins

Established Member
Suaveflooder, Thank you and I will be in contact with you in the next few days!

I've been sick as hell with a nasty flu for almost a week now, so just been laying low and starting to feel better.

Im curious what the issues were that you had with your z? I only ask because I was considering to add one of these to my stable someday.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a corvette of any kind unless you want a consistent headache. The stuff I dealt with is what most Z and C6 owners have dealt with OR will eventually. The vette is a flawed car from the factory.

Just to name a few quick COMMON flaws: Valve spring failure at 31,XXX miles. Thank god valve didnt drop or engine block wouldve gone kabloom. Most are not as lucky as I was. Around 300 for new LS2 springs to replace faulty LS6 ones. Dealership said this was normal for Z (even the C6Z) owners.

The dreaded Harmonic Balancer wobble: replaced under warranty at 7,000 miles. Replacement failed and was again replaced at 23,XXX miles. Got an aftermarket one and paid around $1350.00 because dealership wouldnt put anything but STOCK garbage on under warranty. To this day, the problem exists, and happens on all years of C6's as well. Even new ones. You can go to the Corvette forums and read about people buying brand new C6's and dealing with it.

Climate controls readout badly faded/dimmed. Known issue from the factory and common in all C5's. You must remove the Climate Control face and re-sauder the circuit board yourself.

Weak stamped GM synchros. I lost 3rd gear at 32,XXX miles and was pissed. I babied the Z, so it made no sense that a gear would be worn out that quickly.

I literally had the trans pulled, and my dealership mechanic laughed at how cheap the weak GM stamped synchros were. His words were "They make these so that they'll fail and you'll end up here spending money". I had them replaced with billet synchros and beefed up the clutch while I was at it. GM "split" the labor cost with me since I had a meticulous service record and there were no "signs of abuse" on any parts.

The turn signal stalk: this controls the lights, criuse control, and windshield wipers. It is an expensive piece. It also FAILS on ALL C5's at some point in thier life. some sooner, some later, like mine, at 70,000 miles.

Heads Up Display fade: One of the greatest things about this car, and it was nearly unreadable and toast by 72,XXX miles. Was told it was a normal thing by GM. That was the final straw for me.

Again, these things are NORMAL for the vette's. Check the vette forum and "search" on these topics. They are numerous, and very frequent. I am sure there are things I forgot as well.

If ANY of you is thinking of buying a C5Z, I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO RE-THINK that. It is a fun car, and a blast to drive.....but it is also a money pit and pain in the ass. I babied that car, and it didnt matter-these problems are not exclusive to just a select few....at some point, ALL C5Z owners will deal with these things.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh wow, you've had some major issues with your Z. I guess my interest in (maybe) buying a Z-06 later this year just got flat. Thanks for the input. Certainly gives me some things to consider before even coming close to making a decision.

RussZTT

Established Member
842rwhp, I daily drive mine. Drive about 50 miles a day to work, sitting in traffic takes an hour to get there. Hell, my wife even stole it last weekend and drove it to work. Got a text at 9 in the morning from a friend telling me he sees my car thats 20 min away, I said no you don't. He said, yes I do. Go to the garage and damnit, car is gone. :lol:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
842rwhp, I daily drive mine. Drive about 50 miles a day to work, sitting in traffic takes an hour to get there. Hell, my wife even stole it last weekend and drove it to work. Got a text at 9 in the morning from a friend telling me he sees my car thats 20 min away, I said no you don't. He said, yes I do. Go to the garage and damnit, car is gone. :lol:

lol

also... 842 rwhp - nice! :rockon:

Grimster

Established Member
I daily drive mine. 90,500 miles so far. Im picking up a ported blower next week :) after I finish grabbing the supporting mods and setup a time for a tune I should be right around 500rwhp and I plan on still DD'ing it.

I don't hot rod in it, nor take it to the track. It's a great car for my commute and can be fun for a quick 2nd gear or 3rd gear pull on the drive home every once in a while. Like others have said, just maintain it and you will be good to go.

The problems I have had are small. I've had to replace an O2 sensor, intercooler pump and clean the MAF (which is essentially basic maintenance). Other than that, it really has been just basic maintenance with fluids, spark plugs and putting good fuel in it.

Love this car...

Blaine

Established Member
Thanks again for your input, guys. I just want to know what issues I could be overlooking that I may deal with once I buy an 03/04. The Z had some horrid surprises that didnt come to light until I had owned it for a year....and GM is the worst company on the face of the earth to deal with when you have a problem, and will NEVER get my business again due to it.

:rockon:

C6 Z06 problems.. hmmmm. I got flammed anytime I brought up these OBVIOUS C6Z problems on the Vette forums.

1. 2 piece exhaust Valves.. they FAIL if something is not right in valve train. One dead valve = one dead 427. If #2 below fails... it cause #1 to fail. :pop:

2. Rocker arm bearing failure (A nice little surprise for 07 C6Z owners who don't do research.)

3. Flying carbon fiber roof syndrome. (At least GM recalled this one.)

GM decided it would be cheaper to IGNORE problems 1 and 2 since it would be cheaper to address the lucky few whos engines FAIL while in warranty.

When I bought my 06 Z06 I COMPLETELY rebuild my heads with dual valve springs, roller rockers, and solid SS Exhaust Valves.

BUT Ford was just as bad refusing to admit there was a problem with Cobra Heads....... tick tick tick.. BOOM. Yeah.. I was one who had engine failure due to head tick/head issue. I'm sorry you warranty is voided due to your cat back exhaust...... :fm::fm::fm::fm::fm:

I learned my lesson. I will never ever.. ever.. ever buy a new Ford or care about a warranty that may be left on a used one.

And back on topic... yes the COBRA CAN be a reliable daily driver if tuned and maintained properly. BUT of course ensure the head issue has been addressed properly. (There is over 1000000 posts on this issue so I won't elaborate.)

Last edited:

LordVader04

Established Member
That's it! I am buying another one. I have been riding the metro train into D.C. For 2yrs and it blows. When I move to Kansas in April I am getting one to drive to work. Nothing like driving a Terminator home after a long day at the office:beer:

Thanks for getting this thread started OP:rockon:

Fassssst

Established Member
That's it! I am buying another one. I have been riding the metro train into D.C. For 2yrs and it blows. When I move to Kansas in April I am getting one to drive to work. Nothing like driving a Terminator home after a long day at the office:beer:

Thanks for getting this thread started OP:rockon:
:rockon: That last sentence is SO true !!! :coolman:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Holy shit at those C6 problems. Been driving mine for 2yrs problem free except for the alternator and leaky diff. Absolutely love my cobra and I maintain her very well. Mobil 1 oil every 3K. Some of my buddies envy the cobra cuz it hardly fails me, knock on wood lol. However, it's not so comfy for my fat ass. Got me a beater now

MLMike25

Established Member
This should go without saying, but don't let a few "negative experience" posts change your mind.

I have had a used c6z for more than a year now and haven't had ANY issues with it. It is my DD. Not sure if you guys have bad luck, are hard on your cars, or something else, but aside from regular maintenance I've got no major complaints other than the cost of maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread