Question about lowering a Terminator

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Gentlemen,

I HATE the way lowered mustangs ride! I was wondering since SVT changed the geometry of the Terminators suspension parts if the 03/04 Cobras ride like ass too if you lower them?

Thanks,
-Arron

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I had it stock first and lowered with H&R Race Springs (isos in) and I feel the ride is the same, just a little lower.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Cut the stock coupe springs, wont change a thing.

What I did.

Ride is the same, which is not exactly smooth but it is civilized.

Handling is great.

Lowering beyond a certain point presents some bump steer issues that can have some profoundly negative effects on handling.

Both front and rear suspension will bump steer if lowered too far, without adjustments made and often certain parts changed out.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Mine is really low. Rides fine. It's a sports car. Eibach springs and no isos

img1631nm.jpg

Your ride looks awesome....those rims!

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Thanks guys, I don't want a big drop, I don't want to bottom out. What drop should I get?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
:poke: we arent in tokyo.. bad idea. Also springs crack when you do this, as well is a eibac and i owned 2 sets with broken coils. H&R all day, and say no to cutting springs kids

Yeah OK, tell that to the hundreds that have done it with great success. I've done 5 including mine, and they're all happy campers. I haven't seen one thread on here of someones springs cracking after cutting them. You use a cut off tool, not a torch, so they don't get hot enough to hurt them.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
handles like a dream if done correctly!
like some have said, if too low, you will affect bumpsteer and will have to spend more to get the ride dialed in.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Yeah OK, tell that to the hundreds that have done it with great success. I've done 5 including mine, and they're all happy campers. I haven't seen one thread on here of someones springs cracking after cutting them. You use a cut off tool, not a torch, so they don't get hot enough to hurt them.

I agree. The only time you can damage a spring is if you change it's properties by either inducing too much heat (torch), or by getting too hot and then quenching it with cold water (which is the most likely cause of cracking). Adding too much heat will anneal the metal and make it weaker, so take your time with a cutoff wheel and just let it cool naturally and all will be well if you choose this route.

I personally went with the H&R race springs for a few reasons. First because I have a vert. which already had weaker spring rates and would promote bottoming out easier on a lowered car. Second, was because I had read stellar reviews about these having not only "just right" drop, but also that the progressive rates also made the car handle better (lowering the center of gravity helps too). Third because after buying a used set of springs from a coupe to cut down, I wouldn't be saving all that much for the added hassle, and the H&Rs are powdercoated a nice bright red which is a nice detail on 10th cars, or others with bright red calipers. Being that I was concerned about the geometry, I also opted to add the Steeda X2 balljoints, bumpsteer kit, MM rack bushings, MM CC plates, and a bunch of other stuff (while I was in there).;-) To be successful you really have to view your suspension as a whole system though, and not just adding springs alone, or cutting the stockers will result in the perfect look, awesome handling, ride comfort, etc. If you just do the springs, you may get the killer look you are after, but it may come at the cost of some other attribute that is important to you. I wasn't willing to compromise, so I did my homework, spent the money, and accumulated the right parts to get what I was looking for, and I couldn't be happier.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had it stock first and lowered with H&R Race Springs (isos in) and I feel the ride is the same, just a little lower.

+1 I agree. And it handles much better, I also have mm caster camber plates.

vinny89gt

On The Reg
Established Member
Another set of H&R Race springs with stock isos here.

Ride feels no different than stock.

Even if it rides a little rough its a Cobra, if you want smooth and comfy get a Towncar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Users who are viewing this thread