Your opinion on a head cooling mod

X3FBrian

Established Member
So this was brought up on another forum. Long story short, a guy is terminator swapping a bullitt. I told him since the engine was already out to go ahead and do an alternator pulley and a head cooling mod. This was his response:

"(Tuner who I won't call out) advised against head cooling mod. Said it's horse shit and if I brought it into his shop he would take it off anyway. I'll take his word for it"

I won't name the tuner but it's a very very reputable and popular name in the world of tuning.

What do you think?

Last edited:

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
So this was brought up on another forum. Long story short, a guy is terminator swapping a bullitt. I told him since the engine was already out to go ahead and do an alternator pulley and a head cooling mod. This was his response:

"(Tuner who I won't call out) advised against head cooling mod. Said it's horse shit and if I brought it into his shop he would take it off anyway. I'll take his word for it"

I won't name the tuner but it's a very very reputable and popular name in the world of tuning.

What do you think?

I know who your talking about. He said the same thing to me :shrug:

X3FBrian

Established Member
Haha yeah, dude who did this is from Michigan also. Why the hell would you say that? I understand that it doesn't "add" power or anything but it also gives you a little more sense of security when it comes to more coolant in your head. I don't see any negative at all to running a cooling mod. Especially enough negative to warrant saying something such as that.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Haha yeah, dude who did this is from Michigan also. Why the hell would you say that?

Your guess is as good as mine :shrug:

He is supposed to be one of the best so I'm sure there is a good explanation behind it. Oh well, I still trust what he says. Mine already has it so it doesn't matter to me and I'm going in a few weeks to get tuned from him

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
I have taken about 30 modular 4.6 4V engines apart , components in driver side head are always darker then passenger side. That proofs to me that DS head runs way hotter then PS head

Last edited:

X3FBrian

Established Member
I'm not discrediting anyone just wondering why he would say that about a cooling mod as its pretty apparent it's proven cheap insurance.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The tuner probably doesn't understand the cooling dynamics at play here and made a statement that would have me making a B-line for the door.

paydirt

Established Member
Last cobra I had was an '03 with no head cooling mod and it developed head tick at around 36k miles. I now own an '04, the first round of mods I did the head cooling mod and the car has ran flawless, it is about to hit 40k miles. It works.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
been running a head cooling mod since 05', installed it when my car had about 5,000 miles. i see no downside to this mod, it allows for better flow and prevents the coolant from pooling in the back of the head and getting too hot.

4601S/C

Established Member
I don't have one on my car. Out of all the debates across internet forums about this mod it still seems to be a debate IMO. Most people say it's so easy and relatively cheap there's no reason not to do it. I agree that in the grand scheme it's a pretty simple mod. However, I have yet to see consistent proof that this mod really does anything. No one has posted comparative head temps (before/after). No visiual evidence of parts that have seen noticeably cooler temps. Nothing that says: Without doubt, this mod in and of itself helps keeps your engine safe.

EDIT: I think that tuners reaction was a bit off though. If it's already on there why remove it?

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I'd tell the "tuner" to mind his own F'in business since it has nothing to do with his work, IE computer tuning the car. Hell, I'd put a 10 story wing on the hood just to piss him off. And if he touched either he'd hear from me for not being directed to alter anything other than the tune.

LOL@ people being afraid to name the tuner who made the bold comments. Like he's gonna come whack or something...

The GT500 motors have an exit path for coolant on the driver side head. I think that's pretty telling. And from a mechanical engineering standpoint, it just makes sense that having the coolant flow out the driver head serves a functional and benefit type purpose as opposed to not having an exit path. I believe some basic common sense should be applied in the 'head cooling' mod debate.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The head cooling mod is a little sketchy in terms of hard evidence and tangible proof.

I did both heads and have no tick, but who's to say that would not have happened anyway?

I have a problem with the "I'd rip it off" statement, that's just a lot of extra work for nothing gained to sound like a big shot.

The ultimate engine saving mod for a terminator with more boost is a J&S Vampire. I want one BAD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread