Your opinion on a head cooling mod

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
The ultimate engine saving mod for a terminator with more boost is a J&S Vampire. I want one BAD!!![/QUOTE]

I want the J&S Vampire also.

Last edited:

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
I have taken about 30 modular 4.6 4V engines apart , components in driver side head are always darker then passenger side. That proofs to me that DS head runs way hotter then PS head

Exactly and why did Ford redesign the head for better cooling if there wasn't a issue. $100 or 1000s. When I rebuilt my engine it didn't have one and the ds was darker. I have the mod now. If u have money to burn go ahead especially if upping the HP.

Oh and I no longer have a head tick.

Last edited:

Quick Strike

Established Member
The ultimate engine saving mod for a terminator with more boost is a J&S Vampire. I want one BAD!!!

Here too. I emailed John a little and the Vampire will be next when I have enough saved. Maybe he will do another group purchase?

I know some tuners pulled timing from 7and 8 if you did not have the cooling mod. That speaks to something!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't care how good or who the tuner is, if he states that he would take something (such as cool mod) off my car without my approval there would be a bigger issue at hand. There isn't solid evidence that it works, but anything to possibly help out cooling, especially on these cars that have issues, is a plus in my view.

KooK

Established Member
More importantly, we know off people who have developed the tick. Has there been anybody with this mod installed who developed the same tick 5-10k miles after the installation?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Exactly and why did Ford redesign the head for better cooling if there wasn't a issue. $100 or 1000s. When I rebuilt my engine it didn't have one and the ds was darker. I have the mod now. If u have money to burn go ahead especially if upping the HP.

Oh and I no longer have a head tick.

Bingo! If it wasn't an issue, Ford would not have re-designed the head. Replacing the heads is another option, but much more expensive. You do, though, get 9 threads for the spark plugs vs. the factory 4 threads (found on the majority of factory Terminators).

So this "renowned" tuner doesn't explain WHY it won't potentially do any good. He just makes a cocky statement. And then compounds his cockiness by saying that if you brought it into his shop "he would take it off anyway". If he really said that, he doesn't sound like a tuner I'd want to have touching my Terminator (if I had one). :nonono:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
The head cooling mod is a little sketchy in terms of hard evidence and tangible proof.

I did both heads and have no tick, but who's to say that would not have happened anyway?

I have a problem with the "I'd rip it off" statement, that's just a lot of extra work for nothing gained to sound like a big shot.

The ultimate engine saving mod for a terminator with more boost is a J&S Vampire. I want one BAD!!!

How does it work if I dont have knock sensors anymore and inserts for them have been shaved down? I saw something about it tapping into the coil signal?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I believe it comes with a knock sensor and some how piggy-backs off the signal to each coil so that it can retard timing to the exact cylinder that is having the detonation.

gsxr03_600

Established Member
My tuner said he doesn't believe they work either. When I brought my car in to get all my work done I had the gen 2 cooling mod in the car still in the box. He said he'd put it on if I really wanted him to. I said for a sense of securtity do it. Cost me like 50 bucks for him to throw it on. I will say the biggest cooling mod you can do is the 170 Reische Tstat and correct fan settings. Haven't had any heat soak and I live in GA so it gets pretty damn hot down here. And my Tuner is MV Performance. He's not one to take people's stuff off their car though without telling you lol, if you want it done he'll do it but he will also give his advice.

cobracide

Established Member
My tuner said he doesn't believe they work either. When I brought my car in to get all my work done I had the gen 2 cooling mod in the car still in the box. He said he'd put it on if I really wanted him to. I said for a sense of securtity do it. Cost me like 50 bucks for him to throw it on. I will say the biggest cooling mod you can do is the 170 Reische Tstat and correct fan settings. Haven't had any heat soak and I live in GA so it gets pretty damn hot down here. And my Tuner is MV Performance. He's not one to take people's stuff off their car though without telling you lol, if you want it done he'll do it but he will also give his advice.

Back in the day there was data with infrared and all that. The knowledge/data seems to have been lost, unfortunately. In any case, it showed a temperature drop on the drivers side stock heads. How much, can't recall. I'm a believer that you can't have enough cooling mods. These roots and twin screws can cook. Don't think you are immune to heat soak. Do a back to back dyno.

Goon Slider

1.21 gigawatts!
Established Member
You could always use one of these. You can messure ps head by the coolant port and then the ds head before and after mod. If it does make a difference then you should see a temp change.
01502_large.jpg

Test it by driving the car at a constant 45mph for 5 miles then stop and check temps at operating temps of course.

Do the coolant head mod and retest. It wont be a actual coolant temps but if the mod helps then there should be a change in temps.

Last edited:

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
You could always use one of these. You can messure ps head by the coolant port and then the ds head before and after mod. If it does make a difference then you should see a temp change.
01502_large.jpg

Test it by driving the car at a constant 45mph for 5 miles then stop and check temps at operating temps of course.

Do the coolant head mod and retest. It wont be a actual coolant temps but if the mod helps then there should be a change in temps.

well im thinking about installing a T handle shut off valve on the coolant line that runs over to the DS head and shut off the flow and go for a drive take some test temps. then do the same with it open. If I dont see someone else do something Im doing this around the middle of Aug. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread