2014 GT500 vs. 2014 Corvette Z51

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
12.1 @ 120? Maybe they should take the 800 lbs of concrete out of the trunk and backseat.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
They should favor the Vette. I would be disappointed if the new vette platform didn't beat the current mustang and camaro platform. That being said, I do think those numbers for the GT500 were not on par with what has been done in the past, but I still think the outcome would be the same. GT500 greater in the straights (more weight, but a lot more power/tq), and the Vette taking the corners. I don't think anyone is surprised by the interior comments since we all knew the vette would be getting upgraded materials inside :)

All of that being said, I'd like to see some real world competition from these two cars and I hope they do the same caparison with the ZL1 and/or Z/28 vs the Vette.

Crowley

mike69440

Established Member
I reserve judgement till I eide in a C7

They should favor the Vette. I would be disappointed if the new vette platform didn't beat the current mustang and camaro platform. That being said, I do think those numbers for the GT500 were not on par with what has been done in the past, but I still think the outcome would be the same. GT500 greater in the straights (more weight, but a lot more power/tq), and the Vette taking the corners. I don't think anyone is surprised by the interior comments since we all knew the vette would be getting upgraded materials inside :)

All of that being said, I'd like to see some real world competition from these two cars and I hope they do the same caparison with the ZL1 and/or Z/28 vs the Vette.

Crowley

RWHP/weight the C7 is down 22-23 % on the 2013 GT500. Isaac Newton says Vette should feel about 12% slower, acceleration wise.

Based on my experience going from a stock 03 Cobra (turd) to an Heaton with pulley and tune,(inconsistent with IAT) then to a Whipple, the best overall power to handling balance was with the pulley and tune. I would never change back as power is so addicting, but the Vette has something the GT500 doesn't have, i.e. balance. ( Like the Boss 302)

Less power is a hard pill to swallow, but that Vette seems like GM did a heck of a nice job. Looks very sharp.
Better tires form Factory on the Vette also.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
For a true measure of homerism- watch this same yahoo comment through the GTR- Vette comparison with an almost straight face.

"Sure, the GT-R has better numbers, BUT the vette feels so much better".

Winner- Vette?

Huh?!

I like the vette though, and maybe the new ZR1 would be comparable to the GT-R for some of those reasons, but dont pitch me the 55k base model vette over the top of the line GTR.

Sheeeeesh. He should at least be wearing a GM shirt while he does his camera time.

Nickoli

Established Member
I noticed the ground the vette took off on had black marks and looked cleaner. The GT500 took off on dusty road with no rubber on it.....

C0bra99

Established Member
Lame review. They toned down the times to fall close to the vette. I like how they ignore the pricy CF stuff then mention the seats as a priced option on the 500. Total bias IMHO

raustin0017

Established Member
Stingray looks great and preforms like it should. Not going to run to the nearest Stingray dealer and trade my Shelby. Owning the most powerful V-8 ever produced in the world and backed by the Shelby name means something to me.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Bring it!! I cant wait to run one. I will have a chance to. One of the project guys I work with has a silver coupe on order, Z51, mag ride, and sport seats........

Poppacapp

Established Member
Bring it!! I cant wait to run one. I will have a chance to. One of the project guys I work with has a silver coupe on order, Z51, mag ride, and sport seats........

+1... can't wait for the first cocky C7 to roll up for some some.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
This test fails to take into consideration that for many of us a two-seater is impractical. It makes a point of the Stingray's 1.7 additional feet of trunk space but omits the obvious lack of backseat. The two cars just aren't comparable. Plus Edmunds just flat out sucks with those acceleration times, the slowest of any publication so far...

5.0 guy

Established Member
Wow what a crock, they are sending a bunch of guys out on the street to get raped by a GT 500 with all their bs stats. I guess next Summer will be a blast on the street!

SVTKen

Established Member
The Corvette is great, but I have kids to haul around, so it would never work for me anyway. A two-seater is definitely not practical at all for me because then I would need a second car and would rarely be able to drive the Vette. The Corvette should not be compared to the Mustang because the Corvette is a two seater. It's no surprise the Corvette handles better because it weighs less, has lower center of gravity, and has wider tires on all 4 corners. At least they acknowledged that the GT500 is faster once it gets traction.

Last edited:

440sprint

Established Member
The Vette is a 2-seat SPORTS CAR, the GT500 is a 4-seat MUSCLE CAR & holds its own when comparing the two!

The Vette doesn't excel up against other sports cars, the GT500 does excel up against other muscle cars!

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
The Vette doesn't excel up against other sports cars, the GT500 does excel up against other muscle cars!

I am sorry about all of the mustang owners feeling hurt that they picked the Vette and then make irrational statements like this.

The new stingray is one of the most balanced sports cars ever made. Yes, the GT500 is faster in a straight line, no doubt. I love the GT500 and will not trade mine for a stingray either. But come on.

It has better tires, better suspension, better performance management software, nicer interior, good looks, great mpg, etc.

Then take the car to a track. It can run with many exotic cars. For example, it has the 7th fastest hot lap time at the Virginia International Speedway for a stock car. It lapped faster than any GT-R, Porsche, Lexus LFA, Mercedes, GT500 and it outran the z06 with the Z07 package. Yes, different days and different drivers, but it is up there period. Here is the link.

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

So don't tell me it does not excel or compare favorably to other sports cars, unless you mean beating them around a track does not count. Just because you may not like its straight line performance, does not mean it is not a great car.

Scott

5.0 guy

Established Member
I am sorry about all of the mustang owners feeling hurt that they picked the Vette and then make irrational statements like this.

The new stingray is one of the most balanced sports cars ever made. Yes, the GT500 is faster in a straight line, no doubt. I love the GT500 and will not trade mine for a stingray either. But come on.

It has better tires, better suspension, better performance management software, nicer interior, good looks, great mpg, etc.

Then take the car to a track. It can run with many exotic cars. For example, it has the 7th fastest hot lap time at the Virginia International Speedway for a stock car. It lapped faster than any GT-R, Porsche, Lexus LFA, Mercedes, GT500 and it outran the z06 with the Z07 package. Yes, different days and different drivers, but it is up there period. Here is the link.

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

So don't tell me it does not excel or compare favorably to other sports cars, unless you mean beating them around a track does not count. Just because you may not like its straight line performance, does not mean it is not a great car.

Scott

Good points but strait line is all I need on the street especially when that's where my car will be driven 99.9 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if the Shelby managed beat it on the track, anyone could see that this cheesy write up was Corvette friendly. I'm not just a Shelby fan, I own many different types of cars and can see when an article is bs, looks to me like a rerun of the ZL1 story.

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Good points but strait line is all I need on the street especially when that's where my car will be driven 99.9 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if the Shelby managed beat it on the track, anyone could see that this cheesy write up was Corvette friendly. I'm not just a Shelby fan, I own many different types of cars and can see when an article is bs, looks to me like a rerun of the ZL1 story.

Yes it seems bias, but let's be honest. The GT500 is not going to win an overall comparison review with the new Vette with most journalists. It is new and the car has so many technology upgrades over the GT500, that it makes its performance easy to reach for everyday drivers even with the manual.

The gt500 has massive performance, but it is much harder to achieve, and still feel comfy and safe in the car. HP, 0-60 are just part of the equation.

Big HP solid axle muscle cars are fun, but they are not going to win the hearts and minds of the journalists when compared to easier to drive sports cars.

Users who are viewing this thread