2014 GT500 vs. 2014 Corvette Z51

rwboring

Established Member
Really!!! You have take the temps and outside factors into consideration. If the Shelby ran a 12.1 at 120 and the Vette a 12.4 at 113, chances are the mustang would best a low to mid 13 in the 108 range if not less.

The Vette won period... It's is a better car. Being able to beat someone in a straight line doesn't mean it's better. If so, then we should all agree that the Porshe 911s turbo and the GTR are king. 10.9 and 11.1 for quarter mile stock.

Really? I haven't seen a "test" yet that has the vette faster then "low" (more like mid) 12 however pretty much every other test for the GT500 has them around a 11.6-11.7... Actually I think I have the WORST time with the GT500 on this forum (12.11 @119) and that was in 90deg heat, a 2.2 60ft AND spinning hitting 2nd and 3rd... I would hope someone that drives a car for a living could beat my 2.2 60ft (and at a decent track would trap over 120 like everyone else has)

Haven't you found out GM's never lose in magazines... it's the same concept as reading/watching "news" and seeing them bash republicans left and right... its all politics!

rdrkt

Established Member
Really? I haven't seen a "test" yet that has the vette faster then "low" (more like mid) 12 however pretty much every other test for the GT500 has them around a 11.6-11.7... Actually I think I have the WORST time with the GT500 on this forum (12.11 @119) and that was in 90deg heat, a 2.2 60ft AND spinning hitting 2nd and 3rd... I would hope someone that drives a car for a living could beat my 2.2 60ft (and at a decent track would trap over 120 like everyone else has)!
Street vs strip and it was quite possibly even hotter than 90 during testing which is why the Shelby went into limp mode.

Poppacapp

Established Member
The winner of car comparisons in magazines are always the ones who have paid more advertising with that particular magazine.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Bottom line..when we are driving our Shelbys on the road and a new vette pulls up and starts honking...are we even going to be worried...LOL?

I've actually NEVER had anyone in a vette of any sort come up next to me and try to start a race. I think if you don't have a vanity plate on the back of your car you can't physically be seen by a vette owner. Must be some sort of cognitive camouflage. :burnout:

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I've actually NEVER had anyone in a vette of any sort come up next to me and try to start a race. I think if you don't have a vanity plate on the back of your car you can't physically be seen by a vette owner. Must be some sort of cognitive camouflage. :burnout:

My license plate frame incites some races:

"I'd Rather Push a Ford than Drive a Chevy"

As far as vanity plates I don't waste my money there..seems to attract a lot of random police pullovers.:D Yes the vette should be a overall better car (still cannot understand the sport car versus muscle car reason though), but in the real world street cars are more measured on their straight line prowess than as compared to anything else.:beer:

mikejaeggi

Established Member
as a former Vette owner, I will give Chevy serious props on hitting a home run with the C7: the looks, the peformance, the interior, and price are all superb. I'm still happy I bought a shelby: neck snapping performance in a super car with a backseat, nothing can compare. If I didn't have kids, I'd line up to buy a new stingray. 1 year from now, you will see C7s every day but you will still rarely see a Shelby.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
as a former Vette owner, I will give Chevy serious props on hitting a home run with the C7: the looks, the peformance, the interior, and price are all superb. I'm still happy I bought a shelby: neck snapping performance in a super car with a backseat, nothing can compare. If I didn't have kids, I'd line up to buy a new stingray. 1 year from now, you will see C7s every day but you will still rarely see a Shelby.

I can agree the C6Z06 looks amazing with it's big rounded fender flares, wide rear tires, and menacing stance....but the C7 is a dud in my eyes. Can't stand it at all. Who wants a vette that looks like last years camaro from the rear.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I can agree the C6Z06 looks amazing with it's big rounded fender flares, wide rear tires, and menacing stance....but the C7 us a dud in my eyes. Can't stand it at all. Who wants a vette that looks like last years camaro from the rear.

I agree, the rear end looks a bit crappy but I doubt any of us will be seeing that very much after leaving the stoplight anyways.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
After driving both the new C7 vette and owning my third Shelby GT500 I wouldn't trade my 14 GT500 or even my old 09 GT500 for the new C7. The new C7 handles great for sure, but the power in the lower RPM's is soo lacking compared to the monster torque of the GT500 is just depressing to drive when you want to stab the throttle and not have to rev the car to the moon to get moving. I'll be keeping my 14 and waiting for the first yahoo in a C7 that wants to play. Just my opinion...

big_ole_truck

Established Member
The C7 Stingray is the base car of the new generation. I'm sure the C7 Z06 and ZR1 will outperform the GT500 in all benchmarks. And it's not a fair comparison either. Each car is in a different class.

Driving the new C7 will be fun but owning a Corvette outside of factory warranty isn't for me.

As for price point, the Stingray looks very attractive compared to the GT500. Two vs four seats is totally irrelevant to me. None of my friends could get their legs to fit in the back of the Shelby, nor would I ask them to do so. I'm looking forward to driving a C7 sometime in the future.

As for the Shelby, it's one heck of a pony car destined for fond memories as this current generation yields to the new generation.

5.0 guy

Established Member
The C7 Stingray is the base car of the new generation. I'm sure the C7 Z06 and ZR1 will outperform the GT500 in all benchmarks. And it's not a fair comparison either. Each car is in a different class.

Driving the new C7 will be fun but owning a Corvette outside of factory warranty isn't for me.

As for price point, the Stingray looks very attractive compared to the GT500. Two vs four seats is totally irrelevant to me. None of my friends could get their legs to fit in the back of the Shelby, nor would I ask them to do so. I'm looking forward to driving a C7 sometime in the future.

As for the Shelby, it's one heck of a pony car destined for fond memories as this current generation yields to the new generation.

I've never owned a Vette but am excited to see what they come up with on their new Zo6/Zr1, I may actually buy one this time around. Great description on the Shelby, couldn't say it any better!:beer:

hockeylover86

Established Member
After driving both the new C7 vette and owning my third Shelby GT500 I wouldn't trade my 14 GT500 or even my old 09 GT500 for the new C7. The new C7 handles great for sure, but the power in the lower RPM's is soo lacking compared to the monster torque of the GT500 is just depressing to drive when you want to stab the throttle and not have to rev the car to the moon to get moving. I'll be keeping my 14 and waiting for the first yahoo in a C7 that wants to play. Just my opinion...

I agree. The first person that wants to test their new C7 against my Shelby is going to have fun explaining to their wife/gf why their car is slower...lol!

Grabber07'

Established Member
I previously owned an 08 Z06 (its in my sig and just sold it) and before that a 2010 GT500. The Z06 definitely handled like it should, very responsive steering and wow does it pull. With that being said it takes RPMs to get the Z06 to really kick into gear. Low RPMs is very lacking compared to my torque ladened GT500. The vette just wasnt exciting in lower RPMs, plus no back seat and way too low to the ground. Every entrance and exit was a chore...including the driveway.

With that being said I sold the Z06 in order to order my 2014 GT500 that is on the way and I couldnt be any more excited. The Shelby is just more practical and better for everyday driving (for me). Not to mention with little invested I can have a 700+rwhp, which is what I love best about the car....the POWER and TORQUE.

The Z06 also had the exhaust valve issue. Apparently the hollow sodium valve stems would tend to break due to guide wear and drop the exhaust valve into the motor essentially destroying it.

I see a thread on corvetteforum every day with another person dropping an exhaust valve. Just a manufacturing defect from GM on the heads. The fix is installing bronze guides and stainless steel exhaust valves, which isnt cheap and rediculous that I have to do that to enjoy my car.

Feel much better in the Shelby plain and simple for a lot of reasons. Glad I made my choice.

C7 is no doubt a nice car and should handle with precision. It will sell well with the brand loyalists. I still cant get over the rear of the car, they could have done a better job designing that.

Last edited:

rford13

Established Member
The guys at edmunds are such clowns! Over 2 second difference in lap times. If they don't have the sack to drive the car they should just say it instead of writing that garbage. At laguna seca Randy Pobst lapped the gt500 at 1:38.7 and recently lapped the c7 at 1:38.28.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
The winner of car comparisons in magazines are always the ones who have paid more advertising with that particular magazine.

The problem is this comes off as very conspiracy theory-ish - yeah it is possible but I don't believe there is concrete evidence of this happening on a wide spread scale. I actually don't blame the Camaro ZL1 guys for saying the Ford guys claiming this being the reason for the ZL1's magazine victories as being excuses, because without the solid proof it comes off just as that plus also as being bitter over the loss. To put that into perspective, if it was the GT500 that was winning these magazine competitions and the GM guys saying Ford was paying off the magazines via advertising, I think a lot of people here would change their tone.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
I'm only looking for stop light to stop light power. Hence I bought a Shelby. But that's me

Snkedriver

Established Member
The official numbers for the 2015 Z06 were released today 650HP 650 Torque. The 13/14 GT500 is still the HP King.

Users who are viewing this thread