My fuse box is splitting... disconnecting everything

RyanApfel

Established Member
Looks like the guy before me cranked the side stud, that gets direct power from the batt, down too tightly and broke the plastic holding it down... along with pulling the pins out of the bottom distribution plate..... I was able to C clamp it closed enough to get it to start and get it home but my abs brake light is on and the traction control is turned off......

Basically... at this point. What are my options. This box is pretty much trash. Is there a way to rewire all those wires into a new box? If so... how do the wires pull out.

uzu9yram.jpg

u5yhagy7.jpg

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Your best bet is to source an entire harness with the box. Because of how especially the main power and key on power gets distributed through the box through the ganged pieces, it's going to be a nightmare to try and depin it and replace just the box - if you can find someone to do the same to theirs that they are selling without FUBARing it

95PGTTech

Established Member
On the forums? Very good - people are parting out cars all the time and this is one of the components that is hard to move.

RyanApfel

Established Member
Okay so lets say I do find one... is there one big plug somwhere that it unplugs from, or does it split and go 20 different ways that I'm gonna have to find

95PGTTech

Established Member
Okay so lets say I do find one... is there one big plug somwhere that it unplugs from, or does it split and go 20 different ways that I'm gonna have to find

It's the main center of power for the car and distribution block for everything in the engine bay and a lot of the front bumper. No easy way to slice this pie, just a lot of sweat.

shurur

Established Member
Why would a cobra box be any different than a 99-04 GT box??

Salvage yard time..

I'd examine/do-surgery-on a box at a salvage yard, to see if/how it comes apart....

Last edited:

RyanApfel

Established Member
The only thing I know is different is the some gts don't have traction control... or fog lights. I think they were an option up untill 04 on the gt. Plus I have a really hard time finding new edge gts at my parta yards. V6s everywhere tho. Maybe I could tear one of those apart to see what makes it tick.....

shurur

Established Member
After getting the harness ties off the chassis and disconnecting the box itself as well, I wouldn't be surprised that the outer box slips off after sliding the fuse holder section into some position.

If not, I'd consider JB weld or something before tackling an entire wire harness swap!!

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The only thing I know is different is the some gts don't have traction control... or fog lights. I think they were an option up untill 04 on the gt. Plus I have a really hard time finding new edge gts at my parta yards. V6s everywhere tho. Maybe I could tear one of those apart to see what makes it tick.....

Lol where do you get your information? It's incredibly wrong.

RyanApfel

Established Member
I was reading about traction control and how it works. Said it was optional up to 04 on gts and standard on cobras.... obvioualy not a very credible source

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Well it would be a huge coincidence that the box falls apart, and then half the car stops working for a different reason lol

Right. I would obviously fix the box and then recheck ABS light...but trying to prep you in case the ABS light stays on...

shurur

Established Member
New 03 04 Ford Mustang Cobra 4 6 Dash Wiring Harness Fuse Panel DOHC Obsolete | eBay

look at this harness.

The fuse holder is separated from the fuse box.
You only need the black plastic outer fuse box.
This picure tells me that they can be separated.

OR there is a connector under that fuse box

2003 2004 Mustang Cobra ECU Computer Wiring Harness DOHC Eaton supercharger 4 6 | eBay

And if so..I bet any 1999-2004 fuse box will do...

look at this mess for sale!!

2003 2004 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe Body Wiring Harness supercharger Eaton | eBay

I'd rather chase down and run new wires myself....if that's even needed..

Users who are viewing this thread